Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Accepting the penalty instead of conceding the field goal

TheGoodBits

Zorn talked a bit about this in his presser after the game. He said something along the lines of he wanted to push DET kicker, who's a very good one, out of field goal range. And that he had confidence in our defense that they could hold them on a third and long.

Pretty much everyone's thinking I must say. I don't think you can fault Zorn there. That's very logical thinking, imo...

Bad call IMO. Thats twice in the game where we left 3 points on the board pro and con. That decision to go for it on 4th and goal from the 1 instead of putting guranteed points up was a killer

When Zorn accepted the penalty, I thought "well that's gutsy", but when we didn't defend the 3rd down and they went on to score, it was quite obvious to me and everyone that it was a turning point in the game momentum-wise. A wise coach knows these scenarios and gets his defense off the field. Zorn is not stupid but often shows his inexperience.

As far as the 'going for it' on 4th and goal at the 1yd line, I did not feel it was a bad call. I just wish Zorn would call a different play like a 'pitch' or 'option' play once in a while. Detroit ran that play on us once today that ended up with quite s significant gain if not a score if I remember right.

We as fans, know when something smells fishy. Call it 20/20 hindsight all you want but we should have given up the long field goal try and gotten our D off the field.

Hail

When you lose to Detroit you deserve to have your calls second guessed and scrutinized and the call to accept the penalty rather than take the 4th down was a bad one, a real bad one.

...as was the decision to run left on 4th and 1, or go for it at all.

Yes, we wouldn't be discussing this if we'd gone and won but we didn't. We lost. When the teams is whiffing the place up like we are there is little margin for error from the man at the top and he keeps making them and he keeps refusing to accept the blame for them.

This was an awful coaching decision. If Detroit wants to kick a 51-yard field goal, let them. That is a low percentage kick. You also have to consider that this defense has been awful on third downs all year.

I'm willing to bet that Jason Hanson's percentage on 50 yard kicks is higher than the Detroit Lions' 3rd down conversion rate coming into this game.

Zorn made the right call, Blaaaaaah's defense let him down and let a rookie QB convert a third and long.

Same thing with the 4th and goal decision. Good decision (though perhaps questionable play call again). It's not Zorn's fault that Blaaaaaah's defense let a team with a rookie QB and a horrible 3rd down offense methodically drive the field and score on a 99 yard drive.

Both were goood decisions that were made to be second guessed only because the failure of Greg Blache's defense.

I'm willing to bet that Jason Hanson's percentage on 50 yard kicks is higher than the Detroit Lions' 3rd down conversion rate coming into this game.

IIRC, he's made his last 9 or 10 50+ FGs. The guy is a machine and gets overlooked because of the team he plays on.

3rd and 13 with a rookie QB who's been prone to force the ball early in his career? I thought it was the right call.

Bad Call, I immediately told all of the guys that I was watching the game with, accept the penalty and force them to kick. They have a big play receiver who is capable to do more than enought to get a first down. This team has no emotions, from the head coach to the players playing like they don't care, something needs to be done to shake this organization up.

If the lions get 5-10 yards on the play the kick is still only 5 yards deeper, that is worth the risk of it turning into 7? You dont need to take some stupid risk like that for 3 points.

Actually, if the Lions only pick up 5 yards on the play, it's no longer a FG situation but rather a punting situation. That's what Zorn was going for. I'm not a Billick fan whatsoever, but for what it's worth, Billick supported the decision on the broadcast.

It's strange to me that there may be some major issues with Zorn (for example, has he lost the locker room?), yet people continue to harp on individual decisions where a very reasonable argument could be made to support a given decision.

Zorn made the right call, Blaaaaaah's defense let him down and let a rookie QB convert a third and long.

Same thing with the 4th and goal decision. Good decision (though perhaps questionable play call again). It's not Zorn's fault that Blaaaaaah's defense let a team with a rookie QB and a horrible 3rd down offense methodically drive the field and score on a 99 yard drive.

Both were goood decisions that were made to be second guessed only because the failure of Greg Blache's defense.

If you believe the defense let zorn down, that's more of the reason to have Detroit kick the FG, they just drove down the field, so get your tired defense of the field and let the offense get back to work...

IIRC, he's made his last 9 or 10 50+ FGs. The guy is a machine and gets overlooked because of the team he plays on.

3rd and 13 with a rookie QB who's been prone to force the ball early in his career? I thought it was the right call.

Thank You.

Zorn was right to force them back, Blache's defense is what failed and let him down.

If you believe the defense let zorn down, that's more of the reason to have Detroit kick the FG, they just drove down the field, so get your tired defense of the field and let the offense get back to work...

I guess me, like Zorn, is giving Blache's defense too much credit that it would be able to stop an offense with a rookie QB that converted something like 25 percent of it's third downs coming into this game.

You're right, what was Zorn thinking.

Thats true and I basically agreed with the 4th down call. However on the 3rd down penalty as bad as we are on 3rd down defense I did think the safer call would have been to decline and risk giving up the 3. If we were playing good defene on 3rd down its the correct call .......but we are not.

I don't have a single problem with not conceding points. Not one.

You play to win the game. And you are not going to win many games by conceding points. Ever.

I have a problem with not taking the points you have in front of you on your first drive. That, to me, seemed like desperation.

That's one of those times you have to put your frustration aside and make the safe call.

Originally Posted by scruffylookin:

Love how the guy who took one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL and made us the #4 defense last year is suddenly a moron because the players on the field let him down and the lions (who were desperate for a win) played great. :doh:

Maybe you should ask yourself how a QB with a bigger arm and 5 years experience got out-played by a rookie with a grand total of two games under his belt. :rolleyes:

(For the record: I recorded the game. I've already confirmed two plays that would have extended drives where Campbell missed seeing wide open receivers and instead threw it into triple coverage.)

Im sorry but this is the one call in the game where I couldnt believe what he was doing. I believe in our defense too but the Lions offense had just marched the ball down there from the 1 yd line and had a lot of momentum. If you let them kick the field goal, you get them off the field and get time to make defensive adjustments. Instead, we give up a big first down and subsequently a touchdown. The NFL is all about chances (ask Brett Favre) and we simply gave the Lions another one. That is a big risk, small reward proposition. Instead of giving up 3, you risk giving it up anyway but you also risk giving up 7 (which we did). Your offense just marched the ball down the field the last drive. You give them the ball back and let them do it again.

That's a 50/50 call, I think. The problem I have with Zorn is that he makes every decision based on what he wants to happen - not on what the percentages would say.

Yes, a TD in the first quarter is nice. But 3-0 against a team that has not won since 2007 is nothing to sneeze at anyway. At 3-0, maybe they say, "Well, we're losing again...." Take the points early in a game. Get a lead. Etc.

I go back and forth on the FG call, but it's the same kind of thing. Do you give a bad team another chance at life. Or make them try a long field goal?

Archived