Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ambush at the Meadowlands

Oldfan

Here's something to look for in Sunday's game. Sometime in the first half, the TV cameras will show us a sideline shot of Tom Coughlin. The expression on his face will be like the one we might imagine was on the face of General Custer when he first became aware that his troops were in serious trouble at the Little Big Horn.

Most NFL fans think they are going to tune in to that game and see the usual fare. They expect to see the Redskins go down to defeat in yet another hard fought NFC East contest. At the end, they will know the truth: the Washington Redskins are the NFL's most improved team coming into this 2009 season.

Coughlin, his staff, and his veteran players think they know what to expect from the Redskins. I'm sure they don't realize that every phase of our team, offense, defense, special teams and coaching, is better than it was in 2008.

Many years ago, I made a rule never to bet on a Redskins game because it was too hard for me to remain objective. I've never broken that rule, but my will to resist is being challenged. Taking the Skins plus 6.5 points at the Meadowlands is almost theft, in my opinion.

Whether I bet or not doesn't matter much because I already have a lot riding on this game and on this season. If a much-improved Redskins team fails to show up, I'll be forced to admit to myself that I don't know a damn thing about the NFL game.

Many years ago, I made a rule never to bet on a Redskins game because it was too hard for me to remain objective. I've never broken that rule, but my will to resist is being challenged. Taking the Skins plus 6.5 points at the Meadowlands is almost theft, in my opinion.

Don't do it. Betting rules are rules for a reason, especially with your experience.

...You have really come to a lighter side concerning this team unlike the Gibbs 2.0 years. What made you turn over a new leaf about this team?!

From 2004-2006, I disagreed with most of the moves made. Fortunately, the 5-11 record of 2006 brought many policy changes. This is a much smarter organization now.

love that post oldfan... just love it

and whether you are proven right or wrong, you still know football. you might not always be right, but you know football :)

Agreed, that post put a smile on my face. Further evidence that there are folks here who can put together more intelligent, thoughtful and witty analysis of our team and this game than many of the people who get paid to try to do the same.

I must admit I didn't know what to make of Oldfan at one time, but I've come around and I actually look forward to reading his posts now. Good stuff. :cheers:

I don't want to shiat on anyone's parade but don't expect to much from the skins.like every game, every season, the skins always feel hyped coming out, but end up mediocre, regardless of what we do.

Besides that fact, we are going to **** the giants up!

I hope you are right. For me personally this is the toughest season in memory for me to predict.

I can see it going smoothly: Campbell defies the critics, Zorn improves and grows into his job, the O line holds up, the young WR's thrive, the D is dominant. And that would be a ton of fun.

I can see the converse too. Campbell is a poor fit for the WCO or just doesn't have the instincts to get good, Zorn stumbles, Samuels and Thomas get hurt, the young receivers have some more growing pains. If I had to pick one scenario -- I'd go with the more positive outcome.

The physical type teams, the Giants, Steelers, Ravens gave this team problems last year. The Giants seem to have their number so I hope they get over that hump. I was at both Giants games last year, and my wife is a Giants fan and she had too much fun at my expensive -- revenge would be sweet for me.

love that post oldfan... just love it

and whether you are proven right or wrong, you still know football. you might not always be right, but you know football :)

+1, even if we dont alway agree. ;)

I will say this, I agree with everything in your OP, except for maybe special teams. While I think we've improved in punting, I dont think our coverage has been where it has been in the past. Same with kick off coverage.

Outside of that, 2 of our weakest areas are now stongpoints (D-line and WR) on the team. We have our 1 glaring weakness (O-line) but every other area is at least solid on both offense and defense, which is a big improvement. Alot of people get bent that no one expects us to do anything, but I'm kinda glad. I like the underdog role and I think our team has a great shot at surprizing everyone, if we can remain healthy. Offensively I think we're a better team that the Giants, and I think we're better defensively as well. All we really need is to control their running game on offense. We do that, Eli really doesnt have any options at WR, and they are done.

From 2004-2006, I disagreed with most of the moves made. Fortunately, the 5-11 record of 2006 brought many policy changes. This is a much smarter organization now.

Oldfan, You know football. (period)

With that out the way.......

The team is smarter. The HO is smarter. The Staff is smarter; The team has the same coaches and with the exception of some serious upgrades (haynesworth, orakpo, kelly, dockery, etc...) the same leaders in the skill positions.

Now, can we regain (or activate) the Heart of #21, #28, Butz, Riggo, The Hogs.... That will to win, that will to play violent, smash-mouth, in-your-face Winning, confident football?

Can we regain the force that is "Redskins" Football..... If we do, and if this cast plays as they can....

PFT will be proven right on... The Ambush on Sunday will only be the first shots in a winning campaign...:gaintsuck

Agreed, that post put a smile on my face. Further evidence that there are folks here who can put together more intelligent, thoughtful and witty analysis of our team and this game than many of the people who get paid to try to do the same.

I must admit I didn't know what to make of Oldfan at one time, but I've come around and I actually look forward to reading his posts now. Good stuff. :cheers:

Good to hear. Thanks.

Outside of that, 2 of our weakest areas are now stongpoints (D-line and WR) on the team. We have our 1 glaring weakness (O-line) but every other area is at least solid on both offense and defense, which is a big improvement. Alot of people get bent that no one expects us to do anything, but I'm kinda glad. I like the underdog role and I think our team has a great shot at surprizing everyone

I agree with this point. The one thing IMO though the team needs to overcome plays off of what Gibbs liked to say which is you can tell a lot by how people deal with failure and success. This team for the last 5 years IMO seemed to struggle when they achieved some success unless their back was against the wall -- they get on a high and seem to invariably lose (often at home) to one of the NFL's worst teams at the time in a demoralizing fashion.

These guys seem to respond well when they are criticized and HAVE to win as opposed to when they catch fire and are praised. Unlike their divison rivals they rarely put away the bad teams and seem to play down to the competition -- on that point I am paraphrazing Joe Theisman.

Great post Oldfan! There is no reason not to be optomistic about this team this year. Our defense should be alot better than last year and our offense has shown some improvements already. This is a perfect year to take the division. I think this is the first time in awhile that the East is as wide open as it is, in fact, the whole NFC is. I have faith in this team to put together a great year!

I dont think we HAVE to win this game to have a successful season either. We dont have to beat the NFC's best team on the road week 1.

I think we have the better team, and we go into that game knowing more about them than they know about us.

Archived