Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ambush at the Meadowlands

Oldfan

I'll be the first to admit, I've been on the JC Sucks Bandwagon for a long time...but I just have this feeling he's finally going to prove me and a lot of other people wrong this year...after reading the other day about Haynesworth talking smack to Brandon Jacobs and other positive things going on in the locker room, I just have this crazy homer feeling like we are going to smash through the NFC East this year...dammit is it Sunday YYYEEETTT???????

I don't want to shiat on anyone's parade but don't expect to much from the skins.like every game, every season, the skins always feel hyped coming out, but end up mediocre, regardless of what we do.

Besides that fact, we are going to **** the giants up!

This is valid.

But there is a big difference this year on the forum.

In the past, the same homers would always say 11-5 or 12-4, and it was always insane. Those people obviously had no idea what they were talking about.

This year......the posters that others called "haters", you know, the ones that have been absolutely correct.....those who have been negative on the franchise and have been correct, are starting to become positive.

That is the point at which you know the Skins are good. When the people who told you they were mediocre to awful, begin to tell you they are good.

It was the same in the stock market. Very few said we would crash. Those that did, were riciduled.

When the mkt later crashed, they were called genius.

When those bears began buying again, that was the sign that a bottom had been put in.

My advice? Never listen to the homers. They are broken records, and can't separate logic from emotion. Worthless in trying to gauge the team.

Look for changes from the formerly called "haters." They have been right, and they are the people who will likely be right again.

I hope you are right. For me personally this is the toughest season in memory for me to predict.

I can see it going smoothly: Campbell defies the critics, Zorn improves and grows into his job, the O line holds up, the young WR's thrive, the D is dominant. And that would be a ton of fun.

I can see the converse too. Campbell is a poor fit for the WCO or just doesn't have the instincts to get good, Zorn stumbles, Samuels and Thomas get hurt, the young receivers have some more growing pains. If I had to pick one scenario -- I'd go with the more positive outcome.

The physical type teams, the Giants, Steelers, Ravens gave this team problems last year. The Giants seem to have their number so I hope they get over that hump. I was at both Giants games last year, and my wife is a Giants fan and she had too much fun at my expensive -- revenge would be sweet for me.

The Patriots preseason game was the final test. Campbell and the offense passed it. The defense disappointed, but there's no doubt the talent is there.

Just like 1999, the Redskins will get a big win

The difference between this preseason and last year was the team got better as the preseason went along. JC looked like a legit NFL QB in that last preseason game.

Getting the sour taste out from 2-6 is vital on Sunday. Start off the season strong.

Its going to happen

Great post Oldfan! There is no reason not to be optomistic about this team this year. Our defense should be alot better than last year and our offense has shown some improvements already. This is a perfect year to take the division. I think this is the first time in awhile that the East is as wide open as it is, in fact, the whole NFC is. I have faith in this team to put together a great year!

I think we're the team to beat in the division, Matt.

Here's something to look for in Sunday's game. Sometime in the first half, the TV cameras will show us a sideline shot of Tom Coughlin. The expression on his face will be like the one we might imagine was on the face of General Custer when he first became aware that his troops were in serious trouble at the Little Big Horn.

The expression on his face is going to be the same as a deer caught in the headlights! The Giants seen nothing from us last season but a scared conservative team that couldn't run on them and never threw anything over 12 to 15 yards.

Jason Campbell will be throwing the ball all over the field, and to many different receivers. If NY double teams Moss, they will be torched by Kelly, Thomas, ARE or Cooley. Kelly and Moss both need double covered, and we know that's impossible to do.

But we have another receiver who can burn a defense just as fast, and NY has never seen the man Marco Mitchell. So they sure won't feel threatened by him, which could be a huge mistake. If they don't pay close attention to this guy, he could put their entire secondary on Valium, worrying who he's going to torch next.

We are going to NY this year with a very dangerous and different team than last year, and with a better defense and pass rush that NY or the NFL hasn't even seen yet. The Giants are a very good football team, but I think we hit them with much more then they are expecting, and too much for them to over come against our defense.

The Patriots preseason game was the final test. Campbell and the offense passed it. The defense disappointed, but there's no doubt the talent is there.

I am not one of the Campbell haters on the board, so I have faith in him to a degree. My main concern is Samuels and Thomas -- both are past 30 and are coming back from injury. If the O line ultimately is Heyer at LT, Williams at RT and Rinehart at OG -- I think the season goes south.

If the O line stays healthy, it could be a big year. I don't think Campbell is hopeless as some do, Kelly looks promising, Zorn I can go either way on at the moment but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt now that the season is about to start.

Playing the Giants in the Meadowlands has rarely been good, even in the glory years, so pulling off an upset there would be thrilling.

I also hope that if we lose to the Giants again this year to start the season it isnt armageddon on this board come 7:30pm or whenever the final buzzer sounds...its one of 16 games and last year should show you that we can dig ourselves out of a 0-1 hole.

I think it all depends on how they play. If they lose but play a good game or show some encouraging signs, I doubt you'll see much angst. If they play like the opener last season or the board's biggest whipping boy, Jason Campbell, makes a critical mistake or has a mediocre game -- yeah I see people on here going nuts.

Agreed, that post put a smile on my face. Further evidence that there are folks here who can put together more intelligent, thoughtful and witty analysis of our team and this game than many of the people who get paid to try to do the same.

I must admit I didn't know what to make of Oldfan at one time, but I've come around and I actually look forward to reading his posts now. Good stuff. :cheers:

I agree with you on this one.

Another one who is coming around is McD5 or Mickey D (5) fries for that matter. ;)

I think we're the team to beat in the division, Matt.

I really do too. We didn't lose any key players like the other 3 teams did and we brought in 2 of the best defensive players in Haynesworth and Orakpo. I think our offense has a chance to be solid this year, hell even if we're average, that would be an improvement. I think we can easily win 10 games.

Thinking about this game specifically, I would guess some things to look out for:

The Giants loading pressure on the right side, going after Heyer and Tuck moving to tackle on passing downs and running through Rabach.

Jacobs running to the right -- Carter and Orakpo's way.

Manning throwing to Boss in Orkapo's direction.

The Redskins picking on the Giants secondary and throwing them off by showing them this game won't be simply the Clinton Portis show.

+1, even if we dont alway agree. ;)

I will say this, I agree with everything in your OP, except for maybe special teams. While I think we've improved in punting, I dont think our coverage has been where it has been in the past. Same with kick off coverage.

Outside of that, 2 of our weakest areas are now stongpoints (D-line and WR) on the team. We have our 1 glaring weakness (O-line) but every other area is at least solid on both offense and defense, which is a big improvement. Alot of people get bent that no one expects us to do anything, but I'm kinda glad. I like the underdog role and I think our team has a great shot at surprizing everyone, if we can remain healthy. Offensively I think we're a better team that the Giants, and I think we're better defensively as well. All we really need is to control their running game on offense. We do that, Eli really doesnt have any options at WR, and they are done.

Thanks, MB.

We have a better punter. I expect Suisham to rebound --because kickers do that. As for our coverage, I think we have more young talent now than in recent years. I expect coverage to be just fine once the bell rings.

Many years ago, I made a rule never to bet on a Redskins game because it was too hard for me to remain objective. I've never broken that rule, but my will to resist is being challenged. Taking the Skins plus 6.5 points at the Meadowlands is almost theft, in my opinion.

Oldy, you and I are on the same page here ... I never would lay anything down on the skins for the same reason, but that 6.5 is freaking talking to me ...

Archived