Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we be fighting in Afghanistan?

AsburySkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Ok, I saw a poll on this that was kinda surprising this morning, and since I don't want the results of that poll nor its source to influence the voting here I won't list them. I just want to see where the ES community is on this.

And if you don't care, please give an explanation of your reasoning. Please select the party that best represents your current position.

Time to get out of there.

Dealing with the poorest, most ignorant population on earth, who even if we did "win" would not care

Harshest terrain on earth, this thing will end up costing twice as much as Iraq if the President continues his Afghan surge.

Let the generals in Pakistan deal with their ****, they are smart enough not to allow the Taliban to actually take over the country (the Taliban couldn't in general and won't)

Yes. Because if we don't finish this, they'll just do it again.

~Bang

The question becomes, what is the definition of "finishing this" in the context of Afghanistan

The Taliban completely defeated and gives up? (will that even happen?)

AQ gone from the face of the earth? (again, will that happen?)

Afghanistan a somewhat modern society (could happen in about 2 generations)

I am just curios as to what you define finishing this

Good question. Perhaps if there can be increased stability after the surge, like Iraq. Maybe there are alternative stopping points like right after an election, ahem.

I think part of the issue is people make the mistake of thinking the Iraqi and Afghan populations are similar.

They aren't :) which is why "stability' in Afghanistan won't be stability in Iraq

One is a population which was educated, where women went to college and had careers, where Sunnis and Shias married and had experience with modern society and infrastructure and a functioning government (even if it was an evil gov't)

The other has had no education in over 150 years, women were treated as property, the terrain they live on is extremely harsh and for 30 years has been in a constant state of war

Yes, I think it's worth giving a little more attention there.

Without opening that can of worms, we know that resources have been denied to Afghanistan because of committing something close to $700 billion to Iraq in the last six years.

I think the new focus on Afghanistan can bring results and deserves a chance.

A greater stability in Afghanistan will help hold Pakistan's feet to the fire and finish what they started in Swat and elsewhere.

Another argument is to hold the rest of the west's feet to the fire. If we want to have a functioning multilateral military, then getting results in Afghanisatan is important too.

If you'd asked me a year ago, my response would have been "Hell, yeah. We should have focused there instead of ever going into Iraq, and maybe we'd be done by now."

But I have to admit that my opinion's changed, lately. My opinion right now is "I don't think I know enough to have an opinion."

(Observing that, as I learn more, I've changed from having an opinion to being ignorant.)

I was planning, while I ate breakfast, on starting a thread on this subject when I got back home. I've been seeing, in the last few weeks, several sources (OK, Doonesbury and George Will) asserting that Afghanistan is Viet Nam. And I think the arguments make at least some sense. (Not that they're necessarily equal. But tha there certainly are some parallels.)

OTOH, I think Bang has a point as well. If we quit, it will be hailed as a victory by the Taliban. Who, lest we forget, actually did attack us on 9/11.

I think part of the issue is people make the mistake of thinking the Iraqi and Afghan populations are similar.

They aren't :) which is why "stability' in Afghanistan won't be stability in Iraq

One is a population which was educated, where women went to college and had careers, where Sunnis and Shias married and had experience with modern society and infrastructure and a functioning government (even if it was an evil gov't)

The other has had no education in over 150 years, women were treated as property, the terrain they live on is extremely harsh and for 30 years has been in a constant state of war

The problem most Americans have in discussing this is that on the rare occasions look at a map, they see the entire territory from the Western African coast to Afghanistan as one big mess where everyone is the same.

The truth is that all these countries have different cultures, somewhat different religions, different levels of development, and different chances of entering the "modern world."

If you put a gun to my head, I would say that 10 years from now, Iran has the best chance of looking like a Muslim version of, say, Utah. Iraq has a decent chance. Afghanistan has a .0005 percent chance.

I don't know what our long-term goal in Afghanistan should be. Part of me thinks that we simply need a large, fortified base near Kabul where we can make sure that the central government remains friendly. And we use that base to launch occasional attacks on hot spots where Al Qaeda or the Taliban has gotten a little too comfortable.

Outside of that, I have no idea what the long-term objective could possibly be.

Yes. We leave, Taliban and Paki become friendly (or at least tolerable of one another), and Al-Qaeda or other terrorist groups have a backyard to set up their Super-man themed terrorist camps.

And why do some people feel there has to be an end? When a country is so ****ed up and is a constant threat to both its neighbors and us, I say keep a presence there.

I dunno, they seem pretty sophisticated when it comes to poppy production. :(

I never said they won't figure out a way to put food on the table :)

But thats about all they want/desire. Put food on the table and be left alone.

I tell people this quite a bit, when you go over there and speak to the ethnic Pahtans, they have no clue what global game they are in. None.

They just know if they get to eat, have shelter and if someone or Amrika killed a member of their family.

"Stability" would take 50+ years

You have to be a bit more precise in your terms. What is fighting?

Should we mount specific attacks against specific targets using missles, bombs, and possibly special forces if there are terrorist training camps and/or possibly high value targets that have been or likely will become involved in attacks in the US? ABSOLUTELY.

Should we be involved in a civil war between forces that want an Islamic empire to rule Afghanistan vs. those that want a more moderate government? I don't think so because the side we'd want to win that war isn't likely to win the war (at least not any time soon) (in my opinion).

This is another case where people only see two extremes. I don't see any reason to think that we couldn't prevent terrorist training camps with little to no foot print in the country and with a foot print that didn't interact with the populace of the country really at all.

The fact that we didn't before 9-11 I think is more of an indication of the public/political interest/importance given to the topic (i.e. very little to none).

I'm a Republican and I voted yes, but mean yes and a much different manner than is currently being carried out.

I am still shocked at how low the troop numbers there are in Afghanistan. You need to have at least ten times the troops per insurgents.

Naw we just need to blast the Taliban on sight when they attempt to intimidate school girls by tossing acid at them on thier way to school or when they beat women or try to rip off fingernails that are painted and exposed as well as do PSAs showing them positive alternatives as in Turkey than the oppressiveness the taliban is trying to push. And we need more anonymous involved citizens identifying the taliban and bomb factories among the people

The question becomes, what is the definition of "finishing this" in the context of Afghanistan

The Taliban completely defeated and gives up? (will that even happen?)

AQ gone from the face of the earth? (again, will that happen?)

Afghanistan a somewhat modern society (could happen in about 2 generations)

I am just curios as to what you define finishing this

Well, the first two are a good start. As usual, I'd defer to your superior knowledge of the people and the situation, and on whether or not it's actually possible. In many of the articles you've provided I've gleaned hope that these organizations have lost a lot of steam in terms of their support networks, and once that crumbles, I do believe they can be eradicated or neutralized.

There's much to be done afterward to make sure the anti-American sentiment doesn't just grow again.

~Bang

Archived