Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Oher vs Orakpo

scottlo34

Don't get me wrong I like Orakpo and I believe that he will be very good....however, just watching the Ravens first couple of series on offense I couldn't help but think that drafting Oher would have been more "immediate" help on our O-line especially after all the reports during training camp of how our O-line looks horrible, especially when I am seeing Oher pile drive Renaldo Wynn into the ground, helmet flying off and blood running down his face. I sat back and said to myself, he would have been a "true Redskin" cuz he sure as hell is playing like one of the Old Hogs. Oher is going to be special. Orakpo will be good but right now in the immediate present, I don't think so because the lame coaching staff that is in place won't know how to use him....they already don't know how. How ridiculous is that????

Orakpo gives the bigger upgrade to the Redskins.

Adding combination of Orakpo and Haynesworth to the Redskins makes the Redskins much better than Oher and Haynesworth.

We've quickly developed a fearsome defense that can change the complexion of the game in favor of the Redskins.

Oher is a good RT -- but there's more synergy from the Orakpo pick.

I'd have been willing to trade the Orakpo pick, but basically only for scenarios that would have allowed us to pick up Oher AND a top-tier center like Alex Mack. That's the level of synergy that the Orakpo pick generated.

Don't get me wrong I like Orakpo and I believe that he will be very good....however, just watching the Ravens first couple of series on offense I couldn't help but think that drafting Oher would have been more "immediate" help on our O-line especially after all the reports during training camp of how our O-line looks horrible, especially when I am seeing Oher pile drive Renaldo Wynn into the ground, helmet flying off and blood running down his face. I sat back and said to myself, he would have been a "true Redskin" cuz he sure as hell is playing like one of the Old Hogs. Oher is going to be special. Orakpo will be good but right now in the immediate present, I don't think so because the lame coaching staff that is in place won't know how to use him....they already don't know how. How ridiculous is that????

Oher is going to be a fantastic, hardworking and tenacious RT for years to come.

I'm still glad we got Orakpo because pass rushers are harder to come by then competent RTs. While few of them may have the same aggression and passion as Oher, we could likely draft an equally sound player in terms of fundamentals next season, whereas we may not get another chance to draft a potentially premiere pass rusher outside of the Top 10.

should have traded up and taken both...

that would have been a dream come true...

i dreamt we had kruetz, Hutchinson and Oher on our line...then i woke up.

was nice while it lasted though...ploughing the other team into submission...play after play...all game long...hail skins! :helmet:

It would have been irresponsible to ignore the D line in this draft. Thank God we apparently have two young potential starters in Jarmon and Orakpo.

And next year when we can clear the dead weight of the old and or the unproductive we can finally address the O line with a youth movement.

Orakpo is the kind of player this team has needed for about 2 decades.

Exactly I wanted Rey Maualuga but with Orakpo at 13 we would have been crazy as hell not to have taken him over Oher. It doesn't mean we didn't need a RT or that Oher isn't that good But Orakpo is what we needed far more.

Had we given up picks for next year to get Oher then there would've been the usual front office bashing about not holding onto our draft picks. Besides I liked getting Jarmon.Two young defensive studs call me crazy but I liked what VC did.

that would have been a dream come true...

i dreamt we had kruetz, Hutchinson and Oher on our line...then i woke up.

was nice while it lasted though...ploughing the other team into submission...play after play...all game long...hail skins! :helmet:

You dreamt of that?

Should've been thinking of that girl in your sig!

As of right now, I'm very happy with the Orakpo pick. I just have a feeling about that guy that I haven't had in a draft pick of ours since Sean Taylor. No, I'm not saying that he's going to be anywhere near as good as Sean, but he does give a hell of a lot of excitement.

Remember Sean's first game, the Hall of Fame game against Denver where he had that ridiculous pick six? I know that Orakpo didn't have anything like that, but it was still very, I don't know, positive?, to see him out there.

Just ask Daniels and Wynn.

Yes, because what we really needed at RT was a guy with a grip like a 300 lb. rock climber. Go back and look at those two plays again. Wynn was being held by the shoulder pads, this doesn't work during the regular season, its one thing refs will call holding on every time.

Oher looks better than he played because ESPN TV analysts love to play that replay over and over, but the fact is the play was already over, Oher was holding like a carebear, and when Wynn turned to get the RB, he couldn't because Oher wouldn't stop hugging him.

The Daniels play was one good one, but it was more because Oher followed through with his assignment than anything.

I'd rather take a DE/LB like Orakpo who fell into our laps, than reach for Oher who, will be good, but I don't think was worth the 13th when Orakpo was there. Just think Denver going for Knowshon Moreno instead of a needed and monster of a DE.

For now, Orakpo is playing like I wished Lavar had. Definitely going against the OP here.

Not trying the hijack, but I'd like to pose a question to anyone more in the know than myself. Around draft time, there were questions about Orakpo's knee. I watched orakpo highlights on youtube after the draft and there were a couple comments from analysts about this is what Orakpo can do when healthy. Obviously Rak is showing no signs of any health issues during camp. I'm just wondering if anyone has conerns about knee problems re-surfacing?

especially when I am seeing Oher pile drive Renaldo Wynn into the ground, helmet flying off and blood running down his face.

a good two seconds after the whistle had blown. You forgot to put that in there. Wynn probably had given up. If you did not notice as well. Oher was pushing Wynn back towards the line of scrimmage after the whistle had blown.

For those that need help that means that Wynn blew Oher backwards.

I don't think anyone has concerns about Orakpo playing DE. Skins finally have a surplus of talent at DE with Philip Daniels, Orakpo, Jarmon, Chris Wilson, Jackson, Buzbee and Andre Carter. The only way to keep as many of these guys as possible + 4 DTs is to move Orakpo and/or Wilson to SLB. But if they can't really play SLB as well as a free agent SLB then I'm not sure how the Skins are really going to benefit. Skins may wind up for once with a great DL (I hope), a very good secondary and a relatively weak LB core (worrisome).

I'm not going to second guess picking Orakpo....he was rated highly and hopefully will be an impact player this year. While I'm happy that Vinny got this talent I still wonder at the overall plan. The OL is a serious issue both short-term and long-term.

I have to stay with the Orakpo pick right here. The only way I could see diffferently was with a viable trade down option that would have still put us in a spot where we could have gotten Oher. Orakpo showed a lot of speed the other night that I haven't seen from us since Dexter used to get around that end. He was being held half the time and still getting good push. Now imagine what he is going to do when he and Carter are rushing and Big Al is occupying two in the middle. Oher was beaten a couple times the other night, but he is going to be good. If FO avoids any OL pickups this offseason, then yes, I will have an issue with the Orakpo pick because I don't see what their long term plan is.

Archived