Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Oher vs Orakpo

scottlo34

What player is going too make more plays Oher or Orakpo?

OL never, ever make plays. Pete Kendall didn't get the memo last year.

You can't compare Oher and Orakpo by their stats. Orakpo will get sacks, and Oher will simply do his best to protect. There are no statistics for individual OL. The important thing for Oher is that he gels with his line, and does his best to be a tackle on the right side that is as good as the one on the left.

I still think we should have traded that 3rd and this year's 1st for a pick high enough to get Oher. But perhaps it couldn't have been, or perhaps our FO felt otherwise. Regardless, we now must address our pitiful OL this coming season. But I wouldn't be surprised if we passed on one to get a premiere OLB to keep Orakpo as a DE.

];6642661']OL never' date=' ever make plays. Pete Kendall didn't get the memo last year.

You can't compare Oher and Orakpo by their stats. Orakpo will get sacks, and Oher will simply do his best to protect. There are no statistics for individual OL. The important thing for Oher is that he gels with his line, and does his best to be a tackle on the right side that is as good as the one on the left.

I still think we should have traded that 3rd and this year's 1st for a pick high enough to get Oher. But perhaps it couldn't have been, or perhaps our FO felt otherwise. Regardless, we now must address our pitiful OL this coming season. But I wouldn't be surprised if we passed on one to get a premiere OLB to keep Orakpo as a DE.[/quote']

Look, Oher can be a good player. He's got Pro Bowl ability, but I'm not sure he's the type of player who's going to max out his talent over the course of his career. He doesn't seem to have that kind of personality.

I think what you saw of Oher is very indicative of his scouting reports, primarily his inconsistence. World beater one play, turnstile the next. Penalties, too. Of course, part of that is his rookie inexperience, but that performance was also consistent with what scouts saw even as a senior in college. His scouting reports were fairly consistent in noting his so-so work habits and so-so intelligence.

Maybe he'll mature and his performance will even out over time. But I wouldn't bet two draft picks on it.

If the right O-linemen was still available, maybe you do that deal. I don't think Oher was the right guy for that kind of deal.

Not to hijack the thread but here is how John Clayton feels about Orakpo in his mailbag

Q: Do you think Green Bay was wise taking B.J. Raji over Brian Orakpo in the 2009 draft? Orakpo is a DE/LB and I hear that they are just going to move Raji to the DE, even though he is a DT. Do you think that Orakpo would have been the smarter choice looking at what position needed to be filled?

From Chris in Gahanna, Ohio

A: What a great question. From what I see of Orakpo, he has a chance to be a 10-sack star. Players like him are hard to find. But if you are switching to the 3-4, you have to find big defensive linemen. Raji is good enough to be a 3-4 end, but if needed, he can be Ryan Pickett's replacement at nose tackle in the next couple of years. The fact that the Packers drafted Clay Matthews covered the outside linebacker question, but, wow, I'm thinking Orakpo could be a star.

This is from one of the few reporters that I respect in the business...

Archived