Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

Random thought crossed the mind and figured this would be the proper place for it. 

1) We could have been so good right now if we would have taken a/some chance(s) on players who dropped in the draft due to character concerns... A few that come to mind- Honey Badger, Lael Collins, Joe Mixon, Vontaze Burfict, LeGarret Blount, Caleb Brantley... I'm not saying we could have landed all of them, but infusing one or two of these studs on cheap rookie contracts is the perfect way to build a team. None of the aforementioned players have had issues since entering the league. Maybe I'm just not remembering the studs that had red flags at the draft who then dropped and never ended up panning out?

I didn't mean for there to be a part 2, was just curious about what people thought to #1 but while I'm here...

2) IF we would just effing bench Compton. Absolutely hate what I'm seeing in camp from him- slow to react, bad reads/takes bad angles, poor athleticism, just no improvement from last season. I hate him so much that I don't have enough left to hate on Grant and Luavao.  

7 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I hope you guys are ready....this team is ready more than it has ever been in the last 20 years to complete an 11 win season, i know there are skeptics on this board but we have a top 5 qb on the roster not only with a mediocre defense can he get us to 11 wins but he will have blowout numbers this year as well without two returning receivers hes hands down the best qb prospect turned serviceable turned elite yeah i said ELITE qb we have had in over 20 years and he will show most everyone that watches football what hes capable of doing, we will sign him to probably the biggest QB contract in the history of the league after this year so long this defense can get off the field and be mediocre  we are a playoff team. Mark this post...

I mean...I hope you're right. I really do. 

13 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Random thought crossed the mind and figured this would be the proper place for it. 

1) We could have been so good right now if we would have taken a/some chance(s) on players who dropped in the draft due to character concerns... A few that come to mind- Honey Badger, Lael Collins, Joe Mixon, Vontaze Burfict, LeGarret Blount, Caleb Brantley... I'm not saying we could have landed all of them, but infusing one or two of these studs on cheap rookie contracts is the perfect way to build a team. None of the aforementioned players have had issues since entering the league. Maybe I'm just not remembering the studs that had red flags at the draft who then dropped and never ended up panning out?

I didn't mean for there to be a part 2, was just curious about what people thought to #1 but while I'm here...

2) IF we would just effing bench Compton. Absolutely hate what I'm seeing in camp from him- slow to react, bad reads/takes bad angles, poor athleticism, just no improvement from last season. I hate him so much that I don't have enough left to hate on Grant and Luavao.  

For every Honey Badger there's a dozen Johnny Manziels and Lawrence Phillips. Hindsight is 20/20 so why not just say for every undrafted rookie that succeeded why didn't we risk a 7th on them?

I had an interesting idea today. August 19th is Kirk cousins birthday, which is also the same day as the 2nd pre season game vs the packers. Would it be possible to get the stadium to sing happy birthday to him during pre game? Is there a person I should email to ask about that?

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

For every Honey Badger there's a dozen Johnny Manziels and Lawrence Phillips. Hindsight is 20/20 so why not just say for every undrafted rookie that succeeded why didn't we risk a 7th on them?

I think you missed my point. I'm talking about top tier talent that drops rounds, if not all the way to the bottom of the draft due to character concerns. Every year there's only one, maybe two. 

Manziel and Phillips were both 1st rounders. 

10 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I think you missed my point. I'm talking about top tier talent that drops rounds, if not all the way to the bottom of the draft due to character concerns. Every year there's only one, maybe two. 

Manziel and Phillips were both 1st rounders. 

I got your point, and my point was for every guy that drops because of character issues and atones there is someone who should have dropped because of character issues and didn't and the team got burnt. In other words, you never really know who is going to make amends.

La'el Collins, BTW, didn't get drafted because he told his agent that if he did, he would sit out and re-enter the next year's draft. Would you have risked a first or second on him?

You look at guys like Frank Clark on Seattle who fell to the third because of issues and while he's been a decent player, the dude has been nothing but a locker room cancer, including punching a fellow Seahawk in the face this offseason.  Dorial Beckham Green was another one who dropped and he's on what his 4th team already? Karlos Williams another one. 

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'll have what this guy's having.

I do agree with you that Cousins is elite though.

Me too!:1386:

I won't go elite.  He'll be elite when he wants to play here.  That'll happen when he's paid to want to play here.  Vicious circle. 

Hail, y'all!

40 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I had an interesting idea today. August 19th is Kirk cousins birthday, which is also the same day as the 2nd pre season game vs the packers. Would it be possible to get the stadium to sing happy birthday to him during pre game? Is there a person I should email to ask about that?

Ask Huly! 

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I got your point, and my point was for every guy that drops because of character issues and atones there is someone who should have dropped because of character issues and didn't and the team got burnt. In other words, you never really know who is going to make amends.

La'el Collins, BTW, didn't get drafted because he told his agent that if he did, he would sit out and re-enter the next year's draft. Would you have risked a first or second on him?

You look at guys like Frank Clark on Seattle who fell to the third because of issues and while he's been a decent player, the dude has been nothing but a locker room cancer, including punching a fellow Seahawk in the face this offseason.  Dorial Beckham Green was another one who dropped and he's on what his 4th team already? Karlos Williams another one. 

La'el went undrafted who I absolutely would have taken with a late rounde winger. I know most Skins fans on ES were saying the same thing. Just like with Caleb Brantley this year...

Frank Clark and DGB were both projected 2nd rounders who were drafted in the 2nd.

Again, you are missing my point... I'm talking about the players who dropped ROUNDS and at some point become worth the risk of a draft pick. The fact of the matter is that it's difficult to find a stud, let alone a starter, after the 2nd round. All of the guys I mentioned were steals of their drafts, but we've always shied away from players with red flags. I think we need to change that.

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

Uhhh....I dunno about that one dog.  

Now don't get me wrong here: in my opinion, a case could be made for Burfict being the best Middle Linebacker in The League - but that comes at a cost:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/low-hit-by-vontaze-burfict-leads-to-heated-fight-at-bengals-training-camp/ (2017)

http://deadspin.com/vontaze-burfict-shamelessly-flops-gets-steve-smith-in-1789401858 (2016)

http://deadspin.com/nfl-will-review-vontaze-burficts-latest-dirty-hit-1787874962 (2016)

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/steelers-move-on-after-winning-field-goal-set-up-by-att-1752062446 (2015 Post Season)

https://twitter.com/CharlieBatch16/status/676109712107159552?ref_src=twsrc^tfw (2015)

http://deadspin.com/vontaze-burfict-is-back-to-committing-post-play-misdeme-1645592298 (2014)

http://deadspin.com/vontaze-burfict-draws-a-penalty-with-a-ball-tap-1367347719 (2013)

While I understand the point you're trying to make here @CTskin, I would argue that we're better off not being the type of Organization that constantly brings in problem guys, troublemakers, & malcontents.  Would you really want The Redskins Players behaving like the Cincinnattis of The NFL?  I wouldn't.  

Besides...we've got Ballplayers here too.  And they don't go out like that (be advised, I'm sure we'd agree that Norman gets singled out but is NOT a troublemaker).  

I'm glad.

6 minutes ago, CTskin said:

All of the guys I mentioned were steals of their drafts, but we've always shied away from players with red flags. I think we need to change that.

I strongly disagree.  I wouldn't want to bring in guys that have the potential to bring those kinds of headaches to DC.

My regards to Ashburn for steering clear of low character guys.

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Are you really serious about that? Step back and think about that for a second is my suggestion.

Edited by RedBeast
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, RedBeast said:

Are you really serious about that? Step back and think about that for a second is my suggestion.

What's wrong with that? It would be a cool thing to do during warm ups. If it doesn't happen, whatever, it was just a thought I had. no harm in asking a messageboard about it...

6 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What's wrong with that? It would be a cool thing to do during warm ups. If it doesn't happen, whatever, it was just a thought I had. no harm in asking a messageboard about it...

Best of luck, you go man

< thumbsup>

Edited by RedBeast

3 hours ago, CTskin said:

La'el went undrafted who I absolutely would have taken with a late rounde winger. I know most Skins fans on ES were saying the same thing. Just like with Caleb Brantley this year...

Frank Clark and DGB were both projected 2nd rounders who were drafted in the 2nd.

Again, you are missing my point... I'm talking about the players who dropped ROUNDS and at some point become worth the risk of a draft pick. The fact of the matter is that it's difficult to find a stud, let alone a starter, after the 2nd round. All of the guys I mentioned were steals of their drafts, but we've always shied away from players with red flags. I think we need to change that.

Clark was predicted first round at the beginning of that college season and fell to the second last pick of the second. 

And as I stated with Le'el, he STATED that if he was drafted he would forego the season, not sign and reenter the draft. It wasn't worth it knowing he wasn't going to sign. There are rookie caps for all rounds and his max would have been minimal in the late rounds. It was clear he wasn't going to sign with whomever drafted him. Caleb, I do agree with however. He didn't have a long history of off field altercations except for that one heinous act. 

But, no, i'm not missing your point. I understand that there is a chance you hit on one of the dropping troublemakers and you look like a genius. But there are a LOT of guys who drop for similar reasons and don't work out. I would say a majority don't. 

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Trying to arrange thousands to sing happy birthday to a grown man?  I vote no. 

Most do not even sing our national anthem anymore...

Patriots fans did it at training camp on Brady's birthday, justtt sayin. Again, if it doesn't work, fine. But it was just an idea. A harmless idea. 

7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Patriots fans did it at training camp on Brady's birthday, justtt sayin. Again, if it doesn't work, fine. But it was just an idea. A harmless idea. 

If it doesn't work, it would be rather awkward for Kirk, don't you think?

You could make a video singing it, and post it on his twitter representing the entire ES community :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

If it doesn't work, it would be rather awkward for Kirk, don't you think?

You could make a video singing it, and post it on his twitter representing the entire ES community :)

No I meant if the idea doesn't work out (meaning if it's not able to actually happen). 

But that's a good idea! He'd probably enjoy video getting a video like that on Twitter 

Today, while I was signing Hail to the Redskins to my lovely wife, I had a flashback to my childhood while living in Virginia I remembered fans singing "fight for old dixie" instead of D.C. So I searched the internet to verify if this was the original version or just Virginians displaying their southern pride. I came across an ES thread from 2004 submitted by gridironmike asking the same question. 

I loved the second post by Coach Williams when I realized the sarcasm on ES has always been prominent:

"hmmm....there was another thread talking about the dixie thing.....Try to search maybe?"

While reading the thread I came across some high profile members like bubba9497[[ghost]]OldskoolBoss_Hogg, and SlinginSammy HOF '63 to name a few. It got me thinking...what are some of the classic threads that have been posted but have been lost through the years. Paloffs is now, Cult of Colt?, etc... I would love to go back and read some of those old threads that made ES what it is today. Maybe this deserves its own thread but then I reconsidered...this was a random thought after all. 

29 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Today, while I was signing Hail to the Redskins to my lovely wife, I had a flashback to my childhood while living in Virginia I remembered fans singing "fight for old dixie" instead of D.C. So I searched the internet to verify if this was the original version or just Virginians displaying their southern pride. I came across an ES thread from 2004 submitted by gridironmike asking the same question. 

I loved the second post by Coach Williams when I realized the sarcasm on ES has always been prominent:

"hmmm....there was another thread talking about the dixie thing.....Try to search maybe?"

While reading the thread I came across some high profile members like bubba9497[[ghost]]OldskoolBoss_Hogg, and SlinginSammy HOF '63 to name a few. It got me thinking...what are some of the classic threads that have been posted but have been lost through the years. Paloffs is now, Cult of Colt?, etc... I would love to go back and read some of those old threads that made ES what it is today. Maybe this deserves its own thread but then I reconsidered...this was a random thought after all. 

Those are...interesting thoughts.

Yup.  The dixie thing is definitely on the money.

Anyhooooo....

shouldn't The Team be wrapping up Training Camp, or are they going back to Richmond for another couple'a days?  I seem to remember that they end Camp to begin the Preseason schedule.

42 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Interesting idea.  I nominate all of Pittman 4 Two's threads. :815:

:229:The Rook

11 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

Anyhooooo....

shouldn't The Team be wrapping up Training Camp, or are they going back to Richmond for another couple'a days?  I seem to remember that they end Camp to begin the Preseason schedule.

I believe they are coming back for a single practice on Saturday (1:30pm maybe ??) and then a double on Sunday (10:30am walkthrough and 3pm practice) and then that's it for Richmond.