Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VOR/STB21's Training Camp Recap (Day 4)

CRobi21

Just when I didn't think the reports could get any better, you two do a well-organized tagteam approach!

Well, we all knew the trenches was our weakness. We solidified the defensive side (FINALLY) but we still need (lots of) improvements on the offensive line. I'm not that bothered because we still played pretty well with this same offensive line (Dockery has been here so it's not really much of a change).

My only qualm is that we still can't truly assess Jason Campbell. Campbell's targets appear to be stepping it up but his protection appears to be getting worse. ... I don't know what to make of this. If we go into the playoffs, I can't imagine we'll go far against elite defenses.

I'm glad to hear that JC is throwing interceptions to be honest because it SOUNDS like he's taking chances. Granted, I'm just reading and guessing based on what you are watching so take it for what its worth. I want JC to throw into coverage, throw deep, force the ball in there and take some chances. He's got a great arm so lets see him use it this season.

I'm glad to hear that JC is throwing interceptions to be honest because it SOUNDS like he's taking chances. Granted, I'm just reading and guessing based on what you are watching so take it for what its worth. I want JC to throw into coverage, throw deep, force the ball in there and take some chances. He's got a great arm so lets see him use it this season.

Well, on one of the INTs, it was an ok throw that got knocked up, but I wouldn't call it much of a risky throw. The other, he was flushed up in the pocket and threw into coverage to Moss. Which I'm not a big fan of, honestly. But it was down the field.

I was out there this a.m. and want to confirm that you guys did an incredibly accurate and complete analysis. Great job. I agree with virtually everything written with one slight exception. I thought BMW looked better than you gave him credit for. Yes there were a couple of bad plays when the DE ran around him (one in particular I think involving Jarmon, when he would have killed the QB) but all in all I thought he looked pretty nimble on his feet and did ok. I think once he shakes off the rust he will overtake Heyer for the starting RT job, though that is likely a reflection on our OL talent as a whole.

Overall I am very worried at this point about the O, esp the OL, BUT I am very, very confident that we will have one of the best, nastiest defenses in the league. The good news for the OL is that the best DL they face all season may well be the one they see in practice (except for perhaps the G men).

I was out there this a.m. and want to confirm that you guys did an incredibly accurate and complete analysis. Great job. I agree with virtually everything written with one slight exception. I thought BMW looked better than you gave him credit for. Yes there were a couple of bad plays when the DE ran around him (one in particular I think involving Jarmon, when he would have killed the QB) but all in all I thought he looked pretty nimble on his feet and did ok. I think once he shakes off the rust he will overtake Heyer for the starting RT job, though that is likely a reflection on our OL talent as a whole.

Overall I am very worried at this point about the O, esp the OL, BUT I am very, very confident that we will have one of the best, nastiest defenses in the league. The good news for the OL is that the best DL they face all season may well be the one they see in practice (except for perhaps the G men).

Fair enough on BMW. I'm not sure that I completely agree, but it all happens so fast, it's really the immediate perception that sticks with you.

I posted yesterday that I think that a lot of BMW's struggles are the rust from not having played at a high level for 2 years. And it's going to take a lot of time to get his balance, technique, and anticipation back. I think that the more he plays, the better he'll be. On that we agree.

I don't think he had a very good practice today, though. But again, that's only my opinion.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure that our DL won't give the Giants DL a run for it's money if everybody stays healthy. They have better DEs, but the combination of DEs that we have... Could be interesting.

Super job reporting guys! Really appreciate all the detail and information you are providing us fans who cannot be there. Greatly appreciate the time and effort you are putting in. The information guys like you and the regular Extremeskins staff provide is so superior to what we read and hear from the "real" media.

I'm really gettin nervous over the OL.This is not good

I'm not too worried just yet....no more than I was before camp started. You've got to remember that the defensive guys are trying a lot of moves on Samuels and the O-Line. What would get me is if our OLine continuously fell for the same moves by the same people over and over again. It seems like its a chess game and our O-Line is doing a poor job of knowing what to expect from the D-Line. But something tells me that if this were a real game, they'd learn each others tendancies and would be able to react accordingly.

You guys are really good at this.

I really can't wait til an intersquad scrimmage or preseason game to see if our oline matches up better with someone else. If they do boy are we going to rock this year!

I agree. I'm loving what we're getting from VOR and STB. Add to that Phoward12, Murf/JimmiJO and TK's tweets and this is easily becoming an enjoyable training camp from my living room (or the free wifi in Panera Bread).

Very insightful job!

It sounds like our defense will be an absolute monster this season, unfortunately our O-line is going to be a disaster.

This just shows the mentality of the Snyder era, no clue on what makes an offense tick, the offensive line! With all the O-lineman available in this past draft, we go out and improve the #4 defense. Rak may be big time, but the difference he makes on the field wont be nearly significant enough to trump what 2 or 3 stud lineman could do, compared to what we have blocking right now!

wow man our oline actually sounds worse than last year =\ our D sounds good but it always does...loving our dline right now but its gonna mean jack **** if we cant get our oline right =\ ...lets go guys~!

Does anybody have Jon Runyans phone number on speed dial? Not sure if he could pass a physical but if RT looks like a turnstyle after a coule of pre season games and he is still on the street he would be worth a look.

Lets hope the O line step it up - if the D are as good as advertised it would be criminal to waste that because we can't protect our QB.

Say ... VOR and Bone ... great reporting ... thanks ... after 4 days of TC ... do you guys think Skins have shown enough to expect to be able to move up in the NFCEast? Is there any "sleeper" out there who might "unexpectedly" make the team?

Sleepers will come on special teams. The last RB and last WR spot are up for grabs.

There is going to be a surprise cut, there always is. Question is who. So far, most of the guys that were predicted, notably Betts, Rock C., Yoder and Smoot have all played pretty well.

I have to ask, "what is Buges doing?" Are the players he's given that incompetent, or is he slipping himself?

I find it hard to believe that he's slipping, but you never know. He can't make the guys bigger/faster/stronger. He can teach them technique and cohesion.

This does bring up a point: They were NOT helping out at all, they were completely leaving people on an island all the time. Which you wouldn't do in a game. So it COULD be an optical illusion, because in a game situation, you're gonna double Haynsworth, you're going to chip on Orakpo, you're going to do all of these little things in the play design to help out the OL, which they are not doing right now.

Very insightful job!

It sounds like our defense will be an absolute monster this season' date=' unfortunately our O-line is going to be a disaster.

This just shows the mentality of the Snyder era, no clue on what makes an offense tick, the offensive line! With all the O-lineman available in this past draft, we go out and improve the #4 defense. Rak may be big time, but the difference he makes on the field wont be nearly significant enough to trump what 2 or 3 stud lineman could do, compared to what we have blocking right now![/quote']

Well, it's still early on the OL. I pushed the panick button this morning after practice, but I think that it's just because I was there and they looked pretty misserable. It's only 4 days into camp. There is still time. Let's see what happens. I can't wait to see what they look like in a scrimiage/pre-season game against somebody else.

Another thing that I hadn't considered: These guys are going up against each other all the time, the DL probably know the OL better than anybody, and how to exploit every weakness. Because the DL is attacking, and the OL reacting, advantage goes to the DL. Let's hope this is the case.

As far as picking an OL instead of Orakpo, I've seen enough. I'm very happy with that pick. This is not going to be piling on, but what KILLED the 'Skins was not having a second rounder. Having that second rounder back, which they lost for Jason Taylor, would have been a great place to pick up a good OL prospect. If you remember in the draft, by 13, the top OL had all gone, so Orakpo was the obvious choice, anybody else would have been a bit of a reach.

But by the time they got to their second pick in the 3rd round, you're probably not going to find a day 1 OL starter in the 3rd round. So, the second rounder killed us.

Archived