Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You are un-American...

Springfield

It's really only used to get people to accept their "patriotic," assertations.

After all, if someone passionately creates the illusion that their ideas are the best for America, and arguing otherwise would be arguing for the damage of America, wouldn't that create the illusion of being Un-American?

I have used the term before but not in regards to any political policies. I only use it when I hear people complain non-stop about this country and tell me how wonderful it is in another country. Im sorry but if its so wonderful in another country, why would anyone stay here? Its not like people are forced to stay here. Its pretty darn easy to leave this country if someone wants to.

Saying someone/somthing is un-american is about the same as bringing up Hitler/Nazis. It means you have no valid point and are hoping an extreme description like that will hide the fact you don't have a leg to stand on.

And to be clear, this applies to BOTH sides of the aisle.

If someone actually threw that in my face as a serious accusation, I'd dismiss everything they had to say beyond that as the ramblings of a very tiny mind. That phrase typically reveals much more about the accuser than it does me.

I've got much more important things to do than wrangle with any pinhead resorting to that level of ridiculousness.

~Bang

It's un-American to only buy foreign cars......Cadillac, Lincoln, Ford, Chevrolet, Buick, Chrysler, Dodge, Mercury, and GMC make excellent trucks and automobiles. Period.

I gotta say, it's always a kick when reality backs me up so quickly.

:D

~Bang

I would call someone that went to a church whose mantra was god damn America.... un-American.
OK, I'll play.

I know of no church that has that as a mantra. Neither do you. But I know where you're going with this, and to throw around such false foolishness is....wait for it....un-American.:evilg:

p.s. Do you even know what a "mantra" is?

OK, I'll play.

I know of no church that has that as a mantra. Neither do you. But I know where you're going with this, and to throw around such false foolishness is....wait for it....un-American.:evilg:

p.s. Do you even know what a "mantra" is?

Noun1.mantra - a commonly repeated word or phrase; "she repeated `So pleased with how its going' at intervals like a mantra" catchword, motto, shibboleth, slogan - a favorite saying of a sect or political group

The only thing that is foolish is what Wright (I refuse to acknowledge the Rev. part) said and yes it was very Un-American. It seems by definition his 'catchword' is a Mantra.

Thank you come again.

Actually I called anyone who rooted for us to lose militarily or have setbacks because its wrong for us to have been the lone superpower at the time Un American. I called out USA bashers and the nut jobs begging at anti war rallies for my troops to mutiny though not all anti war protesters on the west coast and liberal pockets on the east coast were traitorous scum.

And I called out the fools saying we stole America from our neighbors south of the border so we should not enforce our borders while limiting the number of the best and brightest and self sufficient coming from other nations here legally.

And I couldn't find anything wrong with people displaying signs saying save the flag expel/ etc fill in the blanks when it came to flag burners at anti American rallies.

Honestly, I wouldn't get offended if I was called "un-American." Because the conservatives' definition for "American" is something I find to be rather... appalling. I will always consider myself to be a citizen of the world fist before a citizen of the US, that is probably a far left way of thinking but I think whats best for all man kind comes before whats good for one country. That being said, I do appreciate the rights granted in the US and think this country has the potential for being a progressive beacon of reason and advancement to lead all mankind, but I think that potential is hampered by conservative philosophy. I bet I get called unamerican for this post hahaha.

Honestly, I wouldn't get offended if I was called "un-American." Because the conservatives' definition for "American" is something I find to be rather... appalling. I will always consider myself to be a citizen of the world fist before a citizen of the US, that is probably a far left way of thinking but I think whats best for all man kind comes before whats good for one country. That being said, I do appreciate the rights granted in the US and think this country has the potential for being a progressive beacon of reason and advancement to lead all mankind, but I think that potential is hampered by conservative philosophy. I bet I get called unamerican for this post hahaha.

Yeah thinking of yourself as a citizen of the world is convenient when you reside in the US and enjoy our rights and freedoms. Strange that I dont see poor Americans leaving in droves to sneak into those other places in the world leaving their USA citizenship behind.

Progressively moving towards being like the rest of the world means dumbing down and scaling back. But hey the Yankees may become like the Padres, the Pirates or the Expos since that would be fair.

Yeah thinking of yourself as a citizen of the world is convenient when you reside in the US and enjoy our rights and freedoms. Strange that I dont see poor Americans leaving in droves to sneak into those other places in the world leaving their USA citizenship behind.

Progressively moving towards being like the rest of the world means dumbing down and scaling back. But hey the Yankees may become like the Padres, the Pirates or the Expos since that would be fair.

most of the third world countries are backwards because they follow CONSERVATIVE lifestyles...they're god fearing, family oriented cultures that don't place an emphasis on learning. I'm Pakistani born, I've lived in that hell hole before, I am liberal because I never want to see America, or what it mean to be an American, remotely approach that level of conservatism in those ****ty countries. I'm not saying that the world is a better place to live either, outside of a few places. I'm not going to let uber patriotism blind me from being a rationale person, and wishing to help more people outside these "borders" doesn't make me any less of a person then you only wishing to help your fellow "Americans." I respect your ability to choose your way of thinkin but you and I are on totally opposite ends of the spectrum so there is no point in arguing it.

most of the third world countries are backwards because they follow CONSERVATIVE lifestyles...they're god fearing, family oriented cultures that don't place an emphasis on learning.
:munchout:

I agree with whoever it was that differentiated UN-American from ANTI-American.

Bush's torture and suspending habeas corpus et al: UN-American, but I think he felt he was protecting America, so it wasn't ANTI-American.

American is my citizenship, I gotta passport to prove it, so calling me un-American will never offend me, it is manifestly false. American simply refers to the inhabitants of America. Some say America is more of an idea than a nation, but that is false, because Americans can hardly agree on anything. We dont all agree that the Constitution is the only document that matters, there are plenty of Americans that would happily replace the Constitution with the Bible or Quran or Vedas or whatever.

I like America because I believe it is currently the country with the fairest system, flawed but better than the alternatives. However, I do not worship America. I could never worship my country, nationalism is but a disguised form of vanity. Those who worship their own nationality, race, or ethnicity are truly attempting to worship themselves.

You suggest that there is nothing worse than being called un-American. If this is true, then clearly, you worship America. You worship a nation. A nation that changes, that has a beginning, and will have an end, that is as capable of creating justice as it is of being oppressive and unjust. That's what you choose to worship????!!

I remember Huckabee once got jumped on for suggesting that Biblical law is more important to him than Constitutional Law. Even a lot of "Christians" jumped on him. Why? Is Thomas Jefferson greater than Jesus Christ? Is James Madison superior to Moses? I cannot be American and believe that Jesus Christ is greater than Thomas Jefferson, and that Jesus' words hold more water than whatever came out of the slave-owning British exiles' descendants that founded this country? Than call me un-American, and I will consider it an honor.

Wasnt WWI and then WWII enough of a warning against nationalism?

he's expressing his rights to freedom of speech and freedom of religion, two founding principles of what it is to be American.
Yeah, but his VIEWS are Un-American.

Hell, I think he IS ANTI-American.

Archived