Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2009 Training Camp - Day 3 (FINAL)

bredskin

Me too. I'm hoping it's just because the defensive line is just that good...but I know that it's not likely that that's the case...

thats why i really cant wait for the preseason to get here. its almost impossible to get a gauge on the d-line or the o-line level of ability just going against each other

I'm shocked Skins are not going at it full pads ... whats this? Boy Scout Camp? How is the oiffense ever gonna learn to score more points if they don't practice aginst a good defense? BTW, Rempkins ... you are the most "realsitic" (read: gloomy) commentator on Skinscast! Keep it up!

I'm shocked Skins are not going at it full pads ... whats this? Boy Scout Camp? How is the oiffense ever gonna learn to score more points if they don't practice aginst a good defense? BTW, Rempkins ... you are the most "realsitic" (read: gloomy) commentator on Skinscast! Keep it up!

What the hell are you talking about? This IS their first day in full pads.

Welcome to the DarkSide, b. Nice work. I like your style already. My advice? Don't let murf stick you with all the tabs. Don't loan him your car or any money. Don't give him your real address. Keep up the good work!

(MINI) MURF'S TAKE

The two players who had the roughest day were defensive lineman J.D. Skolnitsky and safety Grant Michael.

Skolnitsky was getting shred to pieces by defensive line coach John Palermo pretty much from the get-go. They were doing footwork drills, and the rookie out of James Madison simply seemed to be over thinking everything. He stepped off with the wrong foot to start the drill and was verbally hammered. I'd recap it here, but the editing software would sensor Palermo to, "What the hell are you doing? You've had 13 ****ing people go before you and you still can't get this **** right?!?"

And once Palermo stopped yelling, defensive captain Cornelius Griffin got in the kid's face and said, "You're ****ing up my drill." You had to feel for the guy.

While Grant didn't get a verbal smackdown, he was toasted more times than he could have been happy with. "Daredevil" Keith Eloi ate his lunch on one deep pass and then Trent Shelton did more of the same Grant's next time up. It's one thing to get abused by Santana Moss on a deep pass, but when youngsters like Eloi and Shelton are running circles around you, it's a problem.

Enough about the bad stuff. Two guys who stood out during the one-on-one drills were the previously-mentioned Eloi and Devin Thomas. And honestly, while the offensive line did not look sharp for most of this morning, the wide receivers had a good outing. Fred Smoot and the defensive backs didn't really have an option other than to clutch and grab a handful of jerseys as the receivers continued to shine.

And while Thomas was the top performer during one-on-one drills, 'Skins fans will be happy to know that Malcolm Kelly was easily the offensive star on the nine-on-nine drills. Jason Campbell and friends still had no time to throw the ball (anything more than a three-step drop would have been a sack in a real game), but any time the ball was thrown in Kelly's direction, he caught it.

On one play in particular, Kelly had to make a circus-style catch, as he reached across his body to haul in a 40-yard completion. A few plays later, it was Kelly again, as he snagged a ball in traffic and was leveled by middle linebacker London Fletcher. No one could have reasonably expected Kelly to hold on to the ball, but he did. He might be known as an injury prone youngster, but he's clearly not one to half-ass it out there. If the ball comes his way, he's going to do what he can to make plays.

It needs to be said - if the offensive line is going to struggle to this extent, then folks around town need to get ready for a season full of quick slants, screens, misdirections and dump-offs underneath. I suggest you learn to love them now, because they very well could become the bread and butter of the 2009 Washington Redskins.

If you only listen to one audio clip from today, I highly suggest you download my interview with defensive end Andre Carter. The interview starts with me basically asking, "Is the offensive line that bad or are you guys that good?" and only gets better as it goes along.

And finally, from the snarky files, the only turnover I saw today came when linebacker Robert Thomas picked off a Jason Campbell pass that was bobbled by a receiver and even bounced off another defensive player before it ended up in the hands of Thomas. The play was noteworthy because it was the first time that anyone wearing #55 made a play in more than a year. It might be harsh, but it's the truth.

See you tomorrow.

The word on Chad R -- that he still looks like a bust -- is especially discouraging.

The team simply cannot afford to "wait and see" on the line for too long into camp. Solid vets like Pete Kendall and Runyon aren't going to be on the market forever and would make nice insurance policies, if nothing else.

You guys did great work and I appreciate it for two reasons:

1. I didn't have to do any of it because like, I've been mailing it in anyway

2. B, you did real well for your first day. Seriously, it took Murf like until, last year to figure it the hell out

3. (ok i lied) Murf, I have to hand it to you, if the other newbie is as good as B, you did a great job back-filling me.

And yes, it takes at least two to do that...

Thanks for the writeup Murf. I might have to change my man-crush from Kelly to Thomas. This guy has been putting in time all off-season and seems to be paying off now. But that being said, I'm liking what I'm hearing about Kelly as well. I hope our offense can do something this year.

I've always felt like if one of the two turned into a legitimate option I'd be thrilled. That being said, if somehow both Thomas and Kelly turned out to be the real deal ... well ... I wouldn't know what to do. Days like today where both of them looked sharp are great. Hopefully they both stay healthy and continue to head down the right path, if for no other reason than the team deserves to finally catch a break.

So basically, what we probably will see this season, unless there are some unforeseen changes, is the offensive line is going to be bad, and the defensive line will be good.

Now 99% of us saw that coming anyway, because we really made no effort to improve the offensive line, our biggest weakness. If we have no offense this year the fault falls square on the shoulders of management and coaches.

What I'm hoping is that the offensive line starts to gel in camp. Think about it though, they're probably going against one of the best D-lines in the league. Albert Haynesworth is really having a huge impact. I think if they go through this camp against this line, they will start improving and practicing against Haynesworth, Carter, and Co. can only make them better. By preseason game 3, I think you'll see a huge improvement.

I do think Heyer will be starting on opening day though. BMW just appears to have too much rust right now.

What I'm hoping is that the offensive line starts to gel in camp. Think about it though, they're probably going against one of the best D-lines in the league. Albert Haynesworth is really having a huge impact. I think if they go through this camp against this line, they will start improving and practicing against Haynesworth, Carter, and Co. can only make them better. By preseason game 3, I think you'll see a huge improvement.

I do think Heyer will be starting on opening day though. BMW just appears to have too much rust right now.

In your dreams. It sounds like they are none existent. Bad news for us. Heyer is by far the best LT? Good for Heyer, bad news for our offense.

Archived