Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sirius XM Jack UP Fees...ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS

heyholetsgogrant

Ok I just got this letter in the mail today, it reads;

"Thank you for being an SIRIUS subscriber. We are dedicated to providing our subscribers with the best programming and listener experience available on radio today. As part of this commitment, we have an important update regarding your SIRIUS subscription.

Music royalty rights were established by the U.S. Congress as part of the Copyright Act. This Act requires payment of copyright music royalties to recording artists, musicians and recording companies who hold copyrights in sound recordings.

These royalties have recently increased dramatically, principally as a result of a decision made by the Copyright Royalty Board, which is designated by the Library of Congress to set royalty rates for sound recordings. Beginning on July 29, 2009, a “U.S. Music Royalty Fee” of $1.98/month* for primary subscriptions and $.97/month* for multi-receiver subscriptions will be effective upon your next renewal. This fee will be used directly to offset increased payments from SIRIUS XM to the recording industry.

Unfortunately, we cannot control the Copyright Royalty Board's rate increase, but we can offer you ways to save on your subscription. The longer your subscription, the more you save!

1 YEAR = 1 FREE MONTH

2 YEARS = 5 FREE MONTHS

3 YEARS = 9 FREE MONTHS

Thank you for being a loyal SIRIUS listener and we hope you continue to enjoy the unparalleled listening experience XM provides.

Joe Zarella

Chief Service Officer

SIRIUS XM Radio

P.S. Questions about the U.S. Music Royalty Fee? Please visit sirius.com/usmusicroyalty [sirius.com] for additional information."

This absolutely ridiculous. First they get rid of free internet radio, which I have because my house is surrounded by trees and it's darn near impossible to get reception. Second, they thrown in some bogus RIAA fee hike of $2 per radio. So my bill goes from roughly $15 a month to $20 in less than 6 months???? OUTRAGEOUS! If I recall correctly there was only one rate hike in 4-5 years on Sirius. They said they would promise not to raise rates for 5 years to allow the merger to go through (the merger did allow for fee hikes due to teh recording industry, but it should not be this high). Sirius XM is clearly disguising this so called "Fee" hike as a rate increase. :doh: I have been a loyal Sirius subscriber since 2005...I am SIRIUSLY considering canceling my subscription. Any thoughts ?

Yeah, I heard about it coming a few months ago. Can't blame SiriusXM too much for this since it is indeed out of their control and they really can't afford to eat too many costs, especially when it is one of the few ways they can raise rates due to the stipulations of the merger. (The other way was to raise the price of additional radios, which they already have done)

Course, I canceled my radio because there isn't much worth listening to since the merger. Most of the music stations I listened to (at least the ones that survived the merger) went to hell after the merger.

Pandora. You can get an audio system that links to it so you don't need your computer or just hook up good speakers to your computer.They let you listen for 40 hours for free a month and after that then you have to pay 99 cents to listen unlimited for the rest of the month. Or you can just pay 36 bucks for a whole year and listen without interruption from ads ( which there is very little of anyways). Plus you can program your stations to play the bands you want to hear.

Yeah, it's absurd.

They're fortunate I really enjoy the service or else I would cancel.

They are probably counting on this...trying to see how far they can go before people start dropping like flies. I'd be willing to pay more for sirius, but not much more. If the fees get too much out of control, I'll just go back to listening to the local rock stations. (Which generally suck)

After Stern retires in 2010 I and probably 60% of the customers will be leaving. I get it only for Stern and never have time to listen to anything else anyway. I did call a few months back about the first rate hike and they gave me about $25 in credit to the account to make up for it.

By mid 2011, if Stern does indeed retire like he has been saying, then i would suspect Sirius will no more.

After Stern retires in 2010 I and probably 60% of the customers will be leaving. I get it only for Stern and never have time to listen to anything else anyway. I did call a few months back about the first rate hike and they gave me about $25 in credit to the account to make up for it.

By mid 2011, if Stern does indeed retire like he has been saying, then i would suspect Sirius will no more.

Did you hear the latest tradio call this week? :rotflmao:

golden shower bath fixtures, lol

I have Sirius free for another month (got 6 months free when I bought my new car). But I can't decide if I want to keep it or not. I haven't really listened to anything else since I bought the car in the end of February. I have an iPod so it wouldn't be a huge issue with music. But I do like listening to ESPN since all I hear about up here are the Ravens. This price increase doesn't help though.

Once I stopped listening to O&A, I really only used my XM for sports talk radio. Then when Philly got an ESPN radio affiliate, I didn't even need it for that anymore. My music is set because I have an AUX jack that I can just plug my iPod into. *shrug*

I think you just need to evaluate what you really really listen to on it, and see if you can't get the same on regular radio or some other method. If you can..dump it.

I think you just need to evaluate what you really really listen to on it, and see if you can't get the same on regular radio or some other method. If you can..dump it.

I really miss NASCAR radio on Sirius but I can live without it. Plus my favorite personality on NASCAR radio passed away earlier in the year.

I wonder if Satellite TV fees will go up since they carry XM Sirius stations.

that was freaking hilarious...

I am still laughing over Curley Pubes wishing his brother Eaton Beaver a happy birthday....

I hope Stern doesnt retire - or if he does they do something to keep that gang together. Maybe an Artie, Gary show with richard and sal?

He's been saying he's going to retire for 20 years.

Was it tradio that Richard called and "God blessed" everything he could think of for about five minutes? All I could think of is how that must be the worst radio show ever if the host never cuts his callers off.

Once I stopped listening to O&A, I really only used my XM for sports talk radio. Then when Philly got an ESPN radio affiliate, I didn't even need it for that anymore. My music is set because I have an AUX jack that I can just plug my iPod into. *shrug*

Why stop listening to quality programming like O&A? I wish I had SiriusXM just to listen to those two comics and the friends they bring on for good humor

I don't understand why people pay for radio.

Because of the variety, because you can listen to the stations wherever you are. I hate being in a town that has **** for FM radio.

I love my Sirius.

You expect them to cover the expense the Music Industry is putting on them? That isn't very realistic.

Because of the variety, because you can listen to the stations wherever you are. I hate being in a town that has **** for FM radio.

Almost every town has **** FM radio these days IMO.

I had XM for a few years and miss having it, but I had to cut back on expenses. Regular radio is not the same after having satellite.

I plan on getting it again at some point, if they make it long enough.

Archived