Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you have a favorite play?(Looking forward to year II of Zorn's offense)

darrelgreenie

Victory Formation. Kneel down to end the game and run out the clock.

haha..

Oh yes.. its wonderful...

I still hold my breath, though.. Has anyone ever fumbled during one of these? ha.. Lemme guess.. Tony Romo sits to pee? :P That guy can mess up a wet dream.

The p[l]ay I like to see us run - and which we run really well - is a pass play to Chris Cooley.

Its the one where CC runs the 8 route or skinny post, normally lined up on the same side of the formation as Santana Moss. The 8 route is where the TE runs straight down the field for 10 yards and then cuts towards the posts. The way we run it normally CC runs it more towards the centre of the field than the post if its cover 2 or squares it off more if its a cover 1 look.

Love to see 47 with the ball in his hands deep over the middle with DBs bouncing off him!

I hear yah bro! Cooley down the seam on a skinny post is another one of my favorite plays.

Imo the JC to Cooley connection should be the focus of our offense and Cooley down the seam imo opinion is our best downfield threat.

Big target with great hands and JC has the arm to make that throw.

I really liked that slip TE Screen we ran last year...I'd like to see more of it with both Cooley and Davis this year....
the TE screen was good but it seemed like we used it waaaay too much. anytime randle el goes to throw is pretty cool.

For some reason I'd like to see a screen pass to davis to see what he can do in the open field. Probably be a pre-season thing though huh?

I'm also a fan of the TE screen (except on 3rd downs!) it a low risk high reward play that always seems to gain positive yards.

Maybe we'll get to see Fred Davis catch a few next season.

Now so that I'm not entirely hypocritical, my favorite play is still a Portis or Randle-El option in the red zone It's always exciting, it has a really high success rate, and even if it fails it tells the defense that they can't dictate the game.

^^Like the ARE pass to Cooley?

Here is a clip that has the TE screen, Cooley down the seam and the ARE option pass to Cooley

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b5f0f9/WK-5-Chris-Cooley-highlights

Victory Formation. Kneel down to end the game and run out the clock.

+1...that's always been my favorite Redskins play.

I would like to see the more mid-range pass plays with crossing patterns over the middle of the field to speedy receivers, fade routes to tall recievers, and far fewer check down passes to RBs on third down.

Not a favorite play but I can't wait to see what we do with Davis and Cooley in the two TE set. If Davis steps up we will be more unpredictable in run vs pass since we can do both out of the 2 TE formation and the defense has to be honest. It's been talked about by the coaches and I'm sure there are a number of plays we have yet to see that will become staples of the Zorn offense. :point2sky

They worked extremely well during the first half of the season and we were one of the leading rushing teams with the leading RB in the NFL.

He keeps running it because Zorn stated himself that one of Campbell's strengths is his long arms and his ability to really get them out there which makes his play action much more believable. Since Portis is an excellent stretch RB, our Olineman are pretty smallish and athletic and can get to the edge of a defense quickly, Campbell has the ability to get the ball out wide with his long arms, and it makes the play action way more believable (forcing Defense to pause just THAT much longer), I think it's a no-brainer as to why we "kept running it and running it".

And no, it wasn't "usually for a loss of yards". That's simply an exaggeration and an underrating comment about one of the best RBs in the league who just happens to be on our team. One thing people tend to overlook about Portis is his wonderful ability to escape losses. He hits the hole way too fast and has that great elusiveness that makes it almost impossible to tackle him in the backfield, even when the play itself didn't work.

Campbell may have long arms that "show the ball" but he doesn't seem to "sell" the fake as well as I would like. Anyone remember Steve DeBerg (sp?)? The guy was a master at selling play action. He would regularly fool camera men who knew to watch for the fake. On the flip side is Favre. IMO he would be better off getting rid of the fake pass that tells everyone he doesn't have the ball and keeping his hands hidden as he continues to roll out. (you have to sell play action with the same motion on actual runs to make the D bite on the pass.) Anyway, I just don't see Campbell as a great play action guy yet.

As for favorite plays I don't really have one. What I do believe in is the concept of "influence routes" which force coverage to move where you want to follow one receiver while creating open space for another.

Zorn IMO is going to be a very innovative play caller and play designer. The guy has spent a life time playing or coaching QBs and learning offense. Look at his innovative drills. I'm positive he has ideas he is chomping at the bit to use. Hopefully the team will be ready to take that next step so we can see them.

Not a favorite play but I can't wait to see what we do with Davis and Cooley in the two TE set. If Davis steps up we will be more unpredictable in run vs pass since we can do both out of the 2 TE formation and the defense has to be honest. It's been talked about by the coaches and I'm sure there are a number of plays we have yet to see that will become staples of the Zorn offense. :point2sky

Oh yeah! If just one of our two young WRs can step up this year along with Davis, we should have plenty of good targets from flexible packages.

It all boils down to Campbell. Between the three guys we drafted last year and the guys we already have, we should have enough talent to get a decent passing game going. If Campbell can do it, great. It would be the best thing possible for the team. I really am pulling for him. But if he cant... If he is still struggling a couple games in... Let's just say that I root for the team.

Is there a particualr play you wish we ran more often or a particular play that you just like for some reason?

If so describe the play, formation, personnel and give an example if you can.

What is your favorite play from last year?

Or a play that you wish we ran more often?

Just a reminder before we get too far off topic.

Does anyone have a particular play that they like from last year or a play they wish we ran more often that they want to share and discuss?

I like bootlegs. Add to that just the plain old qb roll outs. Id like to see it especially on this team with Campbell's mobility and the bigger guys we could put out there.

But my all time favorite type of play is playaction with vertical passing. Give me a play action with post and streak routes forcing the safety to give you single coverage on one? Love it.

I love the RZ Fade and the FB RZ pass.

Id love to see all of these frequently

I always love CP holding onto big #45's jersey mowing down everyone in the way. I would love to see a WR end around by ARE, backward pass to JC way on the other side of the field and JC launching one DEEEEEEP to anyone of our boys. In reality, I would settle for a 3rd down pass longer than 3 yards.

I would love to see a flea flicker on our first play to Devin Thomas. I would go three wide and show pass, hand the ball off to Portis and have him flick it back to Jason. Take a deep shot to Devin.

I love flea-flickers. My favorite offensive play.

I love flea-flickers. My favorite offensive play.

Not really been in fashion around these parts since LT snapped Joey Ts leg on the infamous throw back special play back in 85. I don't think I have seen a throw back play called by the Redskins since that play.

I like the play we do on third down when we have to go 7 yards and we only get 6. Thats my all time fave!

uhhhhh...you just hit my hot button! I do not understand why any coach in high school, or college, or pro's, would devise a play on 3rd down in which one of the pass catches in the play would be running a route designed to fall short of the first down.

It baffles me. It's not that coaches have to work for NASA, it's just a logical question to ask themselves. "Let me see, we have SEVEN yards to go, so according to my calculations, how many yards do my receivers have to run in order to catch a pass of at least 7 yards? mmmm? Hey, you over there. Can you work this calculator for me..oh wait..here it is...SEVEN! The answer is SEVEN yards. Okay, then if I send out 4 receivers...I guess ALL of those receivers will have to travel at least SEVEN yards down field. MMMM. That means I can't call one of the plays on page 19 of the playbook in which ONE of my receivers goes 4 yards and then cuts to the sidelines."

See what I mean? This is not rocket science but then again maybe it is because Zorn and many other coaches can't seem to figure out what I have figured out, while I sit here on vacation at my computer. :doh:

I really like the play where Santana does about a 7 yard drag route all the way across the field. I swear he scores everytime we run that play. He scored on it right before the half in week 1. Scored on it against the Browns and a few other teams. Love it!

This is not rocket science but then again maybe it is because Zorn and many other coaches can't seem to figure out what I have figured out, while I sit here on vacation at my computer. :doh:

Its also not rocket science to actually post about the thread topic.;)

Was there a play that you liked from last year or a play that you wish we ran more often?

Archived