Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you have a favorite play?(Looking forward to year II of Zorn's offense)

darrelgreenie

I don't know about you guys, but i tend to like or dislike certain plays within the Skins offense every regime.

There are a few "signature" plays that always seem to work.

In the Gibbs II offense 2 plays that i loved were the WR screen to Moss and the goalline playaction pass to Sellars.

Whenever i saw certain formations i knew that these plays were coming and i knew they were going to work.

Is there a particualr play you wish we ran more often or a particular play that you just like for some reason?

If so describe the play, formation, personnel and give an example if you can.

A play that i wish we ran more often was the: Play-action from the I-Form Normal

Its a max protect play-action pass with a 2 or 3 man route from a 5-7 step drop with base personnel.

Normally Moss or the X receiver is the primary receiver: run a crossing route/ deep drag or sometimes he does a double move like a post-corner route.

Cooley either blocks then releases or just goes up straight up the seam and ARE runs a 9/go route.

The backs sell the fake then block.

Sometimes they pull the guard to really sell the run fake.

Whenever i saw I-Form base personel i was hoping we were running this play because it one of the few plays where the receivers go deep, JC gets to use his arm to throw downfield and when the pass-pro held up or Jason was able to avoid pressure it resulted in a big gain.

Here's a couple examples of the play i'm refering too:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80bc8f36/Jason-Campbell-Highlight-WK-07-vs-Browns-2008

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b38e88/Jason-Campbell-Highlight-WK-04-vs-Cowboys-2008

What is your favorite play from last year?

Or a play that you wish we ran more often?

Zone stretch plays always piss me off because they rarely worked this year, yet we kept running it and running it...usually for loss of yards.

They worked extremely well during the first half of the season and we were one of the leading rushing teams with the leading RB in the NFL.

He keeps running it because Zorn stated himself that one of Campbell's strengths is his long arms and his ability to really get them out there which makes his play action much more believable. Since Portis is an excellent stretch RB, our Olineman are pretty smallish and athletic and can get to the edge of a defense quickly, Campbell has the ability to get the ball out wide with his long arms, and it makes the play action way more believable (forcing Defense to pause just THAT much longer), I think it's a no-brainer as to why we "kept running it and running it".

And no, it wasn't "usually for a loss of yards". That's simply an exaggeration and an underrating comment about one of the best RBs in the league who just happens to be on our team. One thing people tend to overlook about Portis is his wonderful ability to escape losses. He hits the hole way too fast and has that great elusiveness that makes it almost impossible to tackle him in the backfield, even when the play itself didn't work.

They worked extremely well during the first half of the season and we were one of the leading rushing teams with the leading RB in the NFL.

He keeps running it because Zorn stated himself that one of Campbell's strengths is his long arms and his ability to really get them out there which makes his play action much more believable. Since Portis is an excellent stretch RB, our Olineman are pretty smallish and athletic and can get to the edge of a defense quickly, Campbell has the ability to get the ball out wide with his long arms, and it makes the play action way more believable (forcing Defense to pause just THAT much longer), I think it's a no-brainer as to why we "kept running it and running it".

And no, it wasn't "usually for a loss of yards". That's simply an exaggeration and an underrating comment about one of the best RBs in the league who just happens to be on our team. One thing people tend to overlook about Portis is his wonderful ability to escape losses. He hits the hole way too fast and has that great elusiveness that makes it almost impossible to tackle him in the backfield, even when the play itself didn't work.

Your point about portis not taking losses is exactly right. He is one of the best backs in the leauge to the hole.

My favorite play from the first half of last season was the quick slant to Moss or El from the Shotgun. It always seemed to get a first down, especially on third and short.

Once teams started keying on the slant we became very inconsistent with our passing attack because Campbell is not yet very accurate outside the numbers.

Second half of the season I had a least favorite play. Gut to Portis. Never seemed to get more than 2 yards and usually less.

I would love to see a flea flicker on our first play to Devin Thomas. I would go three wide and show pass, hand the ball off to Portis and have him flick it back to Jason. Take a deep shot to Devin.

Have them practice this all week. This would get such a load off all of our backs. Having Jason complete a deep pass to DT our first play. Plus I don't think I've seen us throw a flea flicker in ages.

The paly I like to see us run - and which we run really well - is a pass play to Chris Cooley.

Its the one where CC runs the 8 route or skinny post, normally lined up on the same side of the formation as Santana Moss. The 8 route is where the TE runs straight down the field for 10 yards and then cuts towards the posts. The way we run it normally CC runs it more towards the centre of the field than the post if its cover 2 or squares it off more if its a cover 1 look.

Having Moss on the same side normally means the saftey shades to him leaving space inside the safety and behind the linebackers. CC is great at finding that space and I can recall a number of 20 yard +pick ups on that route last year. We hit on it a couple of times in teh first Eagles game for instance.

Love to see 47 with the ball in his hands deep over the middle with DBs bouncing off him!

You wanna see a signature skins offense?

1st Down: HB Dive (3 yard gain)

2nd Down:HB Belly (2 yard loss)

3rd Down: Swing pass for 6 yard gain

4th Down: PUNT

HTTR

Way to add absolutely nothing to the thread, man. Can you stop being an attention whore and actually pay attention to what the topic is? That'd be great.

You wanna see a signature skins offense?

1st Down: HB Dive (3 yard gain)

2nd Down:HB Belly (2 yard loss)

3rd Down: Swing pass for 6 yard gain

4th Down: PUNT

HTTR

Why would you punt after picking up a 1st down? 3+2+6=11= First down!

I suspect that is not the point you were trying to make .....

EDIT - sorry just saw it was a 2 yard loss on second down!!

use some of your limited IQ and read above where others have mentioned plays that don't work.

your post contributed absolutley nothing. you weren't even talking about the topic. ironic isn't it?

Brilliance yet again.

To be clear, those posts had to do with a specific play. The thread topic is about what your favorite play is. Did you mention your favorite play? No. All that you did was do the same "Rah rah, run-run-pass-punt is our whole offense because we are so bad!" crap that has been in every other thread about the offense for YEARS, so you failed.

The other posts that you're talking about were at least discussing a play. At no point has the OP mentioned anything about the "signature" Redskins offense; he asked for what your favorite play is. All that you contributed was a worn-out, off-topic, attention-seeking criticism, and that seems to be your calling card.

Now so that I'm not entirely hypocritical, my favorite play is still a Portis or Randle-El option in the red zone It's always exciting, it has a really high success rate, and even if it fails it tells the defense that they can't dictate the game.

I actually do have two favorite plays.

#1 being the Deep ball to Moss a few years back that beat the cowboys. I have no idea what that play is called but seeing a QB that could throw the long ball and a wideout to bring it in was awesome.

#2. I really like the HB option where Portis would throw the ball. CP actually has a decent arm, for the record.

I actually do have two favorite plays.

#1 being the Deep ball to Moss a few years back that beat the cowboys. I have no idea what that play is called but seeing a QB that could throw the long ball and a wideout to bring it in was awesome.

#2. I really like the HB option where Portis would throw the ball. CP actually has a decent arm, for the record.

1) Are you talking about the Monday Night Miracle plays? Those are just simple deep post routes. Amazing how Moss hit the seam and just made the corner and safety look clueless.

2) Agreed. :cheers:

I like the deep cross to Santana.. I don't think we run it enough (probably for the fear that a LB will take his head off) but if he catches it in stride running away from the CB he's going to pick up 15-25 yards. With more teams going away from the Tampa-2 coverage we could see that play open up again.

cant think of any plays that i really liked last year. the TE screen was good but it seemed like we used it waaaay too much. anytime randle el goes to throw is pretty cool.

my favorite play last year was the reverse to thomas against the giants. torching a great D like that for a 29 yard TD run was sweet. hopefully he gets involved in more of this.

We just ran it too much last year and it lost effectiveness as the season wore on.
I love/hate the WR screen. It always scares the beejebus out of me but it typically worked.

Yeah, i like the WR screen myself.

But, i hated seeing the WR screen on 3rd down.

Imo you gotta have options on 3rd down and the WR screen is basically a run play.

The WR screen is more effective against off coverage

and we didn't get off coverage very often in the second half of the season once teams started to account for the short passing game, but Zorn kept calling it.

I was hoping that eventually Zorn or Hixon would try this play:

(2nd play from this clip @ 00:22 second mark)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80d4eebd/WK-15-Jay-Cutler-highlights

FAKE WR SCREEN

my favorite play last year was the reverse to thomas against the giants. torching a great D like that for a 29 yard TD run was sweet. hopefully he gets involved in more of this.

That was a beautiful sight! And it showed the "potential" of DT! My favorite play of the year.

Archived