Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kings Dominion: New Roller Coaster Construction

greenspandan

They have a relatively new ride there called the Dominator. It's really fast and some have said it's better than the Volcano. I'm reserving judgement until I ride it a few more times.

http://www.thecoastercritic.com/2007/10/dominator-kings-dominion-new-coaster.html

A few MORE TIMES? Wait. You've actually riden the Dominator & you are unclear as to whether Volcano is a better ride? For real?

Sorry, but that ride (the Dominator) sucks ass crack lint. It was like a slow version of the Scooby-Doo coaster. Terrible ride. I rode it once. That was plenty.

Busch Gardens is a MUCH BETTER atmosphere and much more enjoyable time. Kings Dominion does have some great rides though and I remember going to both parks a ton when I was in middle and high school. Fun times. I actually really like the Hurler, I enjoyed all the Wayne's World theatrics going on before you would get on the ride and all the music playing in that area of the park. But last time I went the videos were no longer playing, which pissed me off. This was also probably like 5 years ago. Haven't been to either since.

By the way this is what Outer Limits looks like without the building.

p19956.jpg

Busch Gardens is a MUCH BETTER atmosphere and much more enjoyable time. Kings Dominion does have some great rides though and I remember going to both parks a ton when I was in middle and high school. Fun times. I actually really like the Hurler, I enjoyed all the Wayne's World theatrics going on before you would get on the ride and all the music playing in that area of the park. But last time I went the videos were no longer playing, which pissed me off. This was also probably like 5 years ago. Haven't been to either since.

By the way this is what Outer Limits looks like without the building.

The first couple times I rode Outer Limits I thought it was so awesome. Then I went back a couple years later and remember it being just really jerky and uncomfortable. That pic makes it look pretty sick though!

Same thing with the Hurler, actually. Loved it when I was younger, but the last time I went to KD it was not nearly as comfortable a ride. I understand it has aged and so had I, but I just remember it being so much cooler when Wayne's WOrld was it's own area of the park and the coaster was new.

Yeah, the Hurler doesnt have Waynes World stuff anymore....they also painted over the Waynes World Gremlin and got rid of that restaurant....I was highly dissapointed :(

It also wasnt as fun as I remember....wayyyyy too jerky...it was painful.

I can remember when that Outer Limits first came out when I was little....I got tricked into going on it. I thought it was some alien exhibit. My picture when they first took off was hilarious...my face was all red and angry hahaha

Aren't they still there? They were last year.

The Avalanche was/is my favorite....I was laughing my ass when the two guys infront of me were forced to sit together all cuddled up.

I sat there and tried to figure out how it goes around the track....its on WHEELS and not confined to an area...basically, it does whatever the coaster wants. Its amazing that nothing has happened yet...I cant believe that it is safe.

I sat there and tried to figure out how it goes around the track....its on WHEELS and not confined to an area...basically, it does whatever the coaster wants. Its amazing that nothing has happened yet...I cant believe that it is safe.

Annnnnnd that is why it scares the **** out of me!!!! lol

205093281_f8259a1005.jpg?v=0

Annnnnnd that is why it scares the **** out of me!!!! lol

205093281_f8259a1005.jpg?v=0

I rode it 2 years ago the last time i was there, and it being open and not a "track" persay isnt bad at all, but some areas of the surface it rolls on was looking worn out and thin. Kinda like some areas of the Woodrow Wilson bridge before they started tearing it down to put the new one up :hysterical: But the fall/drop wouldnt be far, most of that thing is only like 20 feet off the ground where it does circles.

What does everybody mean by talking about this location? I mean it seems to be like the "common wisdom" or something that Drachen Fire was in a bad location in the park...but WTF? I don't get it at all. It's right across the street from where they put the headliner Darkcastle. And it was right next to the flagship Festhaus, where like 5 million people eat every day.

Never underestimate people's inability to read a map. I can't tell you how many accounts I heard from folks saying, "I saw Drachen Fire from the top of the Loch Ness Monster, but we couldn't find it so we never rode it." Never mind the giant marquee over there. Never mind that when Grizzly at Kings Dominion was hidden in the woods and behind train tracks, folks seemed to find it. Drachen Fire just had an ability to disappear back there.

That was even true during its opening year, when its reputation as a bruiser wasn't out yet and by all rights the line should have been 2 hours long. I went there on a perfect July Saturday in 1992 and waited less than 30 minutes. Surprisingly short line for a major new ride. It bucked the trend of Busch putting their headline rides in highly visible places. You can see that they haven't made the same mistake since.

Based on wild rumor and speculation about what Busch may eventually do with the old Drachen Fire spot, they won't be content with making the old Drachen Fire entrance into the only point of access to that area. Brings up some interesting questions...

Rides like that have been around since the '30s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Turns_(Knoebels)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobsled_roller_coaster

Yeah, the Hurler doesnt have Waynes World stuff anymore....they also painted over the Waynes World Gremlin and got rid of that restaurant....I was highly dissapointed :(

They got rid of Stan Mikitas? What? They had the best chocolate milkshakes.

I used to love KD, all of my friends would get season passes back in high school. Paramount made it suck though. I havent been back since they sold it.

BG ended up being my favorite. Its super laid back with better quality rides and attractions. Plus its the best to take a date to.

Speaking of the Drachen Fire I used to love that ride. The part where people couldnt find it was because it was their for years after they shut it down, but because of its location they could just close off the road and noone could get to it. So you would have huge coaster that everyone could see but noone could get to without any explination.

Check out this webpage it has all of the roller coasters and their history. Its a great time waster.

http://www.rcdb.com/

Oh and they gum on Smurf Mountain was the best. I had forgot about that. That whole mountain area was great. Smurf Mountain, Haunted River, The Time Shaft and whatever that other ride was outside of the mountain that went around really fast were awesome.

What happened to the Hypersonic XLC?
hypersonic xlc was an amazing launch (0-80 in 1.8 seconds) and nothing else. on top of being a gimmick and looking out of place, it was also expensive to operate, broke down constantly, and had extremely low capacity (meaning the line moved super slow). i believe it was actually a proof of concept prototype that KD just moved from the manufacturer's warehouse to their park. probably thought they were getting a bargain, but you get what you pay for.

What about Hershey Park?

I havent been there in a few years but its ok. It doesnt have any really good coasters, though they have gotten a couple new ones here recently so that may have changed. I had a good time but I dont think it compares to either KD or BG.

The resort though is awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

sooooo a few days ago some more track peices showed up, which confirmed existing suspicions that this ride was manufactured by Intamin. that was great news in my opinion, since my favorite coaster in the world is Millenium Force at Cedar Point -- that coaster has the distinction of being the world's only Intamin "Giga Coaster", defined as a coaster with a lift hill over 300 feet tall. (there is only one other coaster in the world with a 300-foot lift hill. it is in Japan, but it was built by a lower-quality coaster company and by all accounts is unspectacular.)

anyway, Millenium Force is perennially ranked as either the number one or number two coaster on the planet. it was built back in 2000, but it is still the only Intamin Giga in existence.

...so far.

an eagle-eyed coaster fan was taking photos of the new mystery track in KD's parking lot and snapped a picture of the shipping slip on a crate of washers. no big deal, right? well, when he zoomed in he saw this:

giga_____428.jpg

if you look close, the words "Giga Coaster" are just barely legible near the center of the image. ladies and gentlemen, we are getting Intamin's second-ever Giga Coaster! this ride will be at least two and a half times as tall as Anaconda, and at least twice as tall as Volcano!

i'm just plain ecstatic. :)

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

sooooo a few days ago some more track peices showed up, which confirmed existing suspicions that this ride was manufactured by Intamin. that was great news in my opinion, since my favorite coaster in the world is Millenium Force at Cedar Point -- that coaster has the distinction of being the world's only Intamin "Giga Coaster", defined as a coaster with a lift hill over 300 feet tall. (there is only one other coaster in the world with a 300-foot lift hill. it is in Japan, but it was built by a lower-quality coaster company and by all accounts is unspectacular.)

anyway, Millenium Force is perennially ranked as either the number one or number two coaster on the planet. it was built back in 2000, but it is still the only Intamin Giga in existence.

...so far.

an eagle-eyed coaster fan was taking photos of the new mystery track in KD's parking lot and snapped a picture of the shipping slip on a crate of washers. no big deal, right? well, when he zoomed in he saw this:

giga_____428.jpg

if you look close, the words "Giga Coaster" are just barely legible near the center of the image. ladies and gentlemen, we are getting Intamin's second-ever Giga Coaster! this ride will be at least two and a half times as tall as Anaconda, and at least twice as tall as Volcano!

i'm just plain ecstatic. :)

YES!!!!!!!

About time we get some of the world-class action that Cedar point has been hogging!!!!

I can not freakin' wait!!!!

Archived