Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kings Dominion: New Roller Coaster Construction

greenspandan

just a few minutes ago, trucks arrived at King's Dominion and began unloading roller coaster track. Reports so far are of yellow supports. Also, bulldozers are clearing land behind Anaconda, where the old Safari Monorail used to be.

personally i'm hoping for an Intamin hyper or giga coaster ...

pretty exciting! :)

Gryphon will be a tough ride to top. that coaster is awesome.

I hope they do though cos that ride to BG is a VERY long one. We can stay with the in-laws and be halfway to KD in the morning. We always do atleast a 3 day trip to BG, we could do a day trip to KD if it was worth it.

Parking lot with rides, what a dump. they should have delivered the coaster to Busch Gardens instead.

I will admit I haven't been to either park in several years, but this was always my opinion.

It used to be that Busch Gardens only had a few roller coasters, but they were always awesome coasters. The park was always so much nicer though.

KD's only appeal was that they had more coasters. It's like some kid who doesn't give a **** about atmosphere or design is playing real life Roller Coaster Tycoon.

I will be visiting both some time this summer and will report back to see if my opinion of either has changed.

Please, KD owns Busch Gardens, but I'm a coaster guy and that's really my only criteria.

Anyway, for those familiar with the area, I've always wondered this. When you're at the top of certain coasters towards the back of the park (Rebel Yell, Anaconda) there's a factory you can see off in the distance in the middle of the forest.

What factory is that? Not that it really matters, I've just seen it every year for 20+ years and always wondered.

I will admit I haven't been to either park in several years, but this was always my opinion.

It used to be that Busch Gardens only had a few roller coasters, but they were always awesome coasters. The park was always so much nicer though.

KD's only appeal was that they had more coasters. It's like some kid who doesn't give a **** about atmosphere or design is playing real life Roller Coaster Tycoon.

I will be visiting both some time this summer and will report back to see if my opinion of either has changed.

If you like roller-coasters then yeah kings dominion is the place for you. I like roller-coasters but it's not the only reason that I go to a park. I do ride the roller-coasters at Busch Gardens but a lot of our time is spent just hanging out there getting drunk. I enjoy some of the shows there as well. And the leprechaun ride when you're smashed is the best. ;)

And since KD got rid of the outer limits coaster that place is all but off the map as far as I'm concerned, I'll never go back...no real need to, though, when Busch Gardens is 15 minutes down the street from me.

I'm also probably biased because I worked at BG for three years in high school. But after seeing how much goes into keeping that park beautiful every day I'm inclined to go with BG if off of nothing more than a sheer appreciation for the effort that goes into that place.

And since KD got rid of the outer limits coaster that place is all but off the map as far as I'm concerned, I'll never go back...

Flight of Fear is still operating at Kings Dominion. They didn't get rid of it; they just dropped the Outer Limits licensing from the name years ago. It's actually much better now than it was when it first opened, because they replaced the head-smashing shoulder bar restraints with lap bars.

Decades ago, the old King Kobra sat in the spot Anaconda occupies now, not too far from where Outer Limits sits. Once King Kobra left, you were out of luck if you wanted a lap-bar launcher that would turn you upside-down.

...Until Flight of Fear got its lap bars. Nice little tie back to history for that area of the park.

Busch Gardens outclasses Kings Dominion in almost every way, though. Roller coaster count doesn't mean quite so much when Kings Dominion maintains their wooden rides far less competently than they did years ago, and when they're counting crapfests like Shockwave and Anaconda in there. It's sad to ride Hurler, Grizzly, etc. and reflect on what they used to be like. Wooden coasters at Cedar Point are not highly regarded, and that's partially due to the way the park maintains them. Kings Dominion shares the same owners and I wouldn't bet on them doing any better with wooden upkeep in Virginia.

They have a relatively new ride there called the Dominator. It's really fast and some have said it's better than the Volcano. I'm reserving judgement until I ride it a few more times.

I'm happy to make my judgment now: Dominator is the best steel ride at Kings Dominion. It's a full roller coaster - beginning, middle, end. (It's also a transplant from Ohio, where it was originally built at Geauga Lake and then shipped out when that park closed.) Fast, fun, huge, beautiful ride. Volcano is a brilliant launch and climb, but then you slowly stroll through a couple of barrel rolls and drop into the brakes. Meh. It makes no sense and you can tell exactly where the budget ran out at design time. They really lost a lot of opportunity there. And for that we lost the Time Shaft, too. :(

I haven't been to KD in a few years, but I think we can all agree its better than Six Flags

I'd agree that it's better than any Six Flags park except the one in New Jersey. Great Adventure's biggest disadvantage is its clientele. Its roller coaster lineup is better than either Busch Gardens or Kings Dominion. The one-two of Nitro and El Toro utterly blow away anything at either Virginia park. Neither park has any answer to either ride. Sadly, most of Great Adventure suffers from the same parking-lot feel as Kings Dominion -- and with a very high percentage of the most revolting customers NY/NJ has to offer.

Of course, Kings Dominion might have something to say about Nitro by next summer. My lips are sealed. :cool:

i'm a fan of both King's Dominion and Busch Gardens, but to say KD is unquestionably the park for coaster enthusiasts is just crazy talk. KD doesn't have a single ride that can remotely compete with BG's three best coasters (alpengeist, apollo's chariot, griffon), plus BG has several other rides that are remarkable for historical reasons. Loch Ness for being the first coaster with interlocking loops (and being one of the VERY FEW arrow dynamics-built loopers that isn't a painful headbanger) and the Big Bad Wolf, one of the first and only suspended coasters (and also the best, in my opinion).

Flight of Fear is still operating at Kings Dominion. They didn't get rid of it; they just dropped the Outer Limits licensing from the name years ago. It's actually much better now than it was when it first opened, because they replaced the head-smashing shoulder bar restraints with lap bars.

well dang, someone told me they had gotten rid of it completely. that's nice to hear, though. It was my favorite ride there. Maybe I will go back this summer now just for that.

Of course, Kings Dominion might have something to say about Nitro by next summer. My lips are sealed. :cool:

I already know what you are talking about as well. Looks like Cedar Fair wasn't lying when they said they were going to make KD the CP of the East.

Kings Dominion was going WAAAAY downhill until Cedar Fair bought thoem out 3 years ago. Now, the park is clean and the standards are high (compared to Cedar Point).

just a few minutes ago, trucks arrived at King's Dominion and began unloading roller coaster track. Reports so far are of yellow supports. Also, bulldozers are clearing land behind Anaconda, where the old Safari Monorail used to be.

personally i'm hoping for an Intamin hyper or giga coaster ...

pretty exciting! :)

LOL there will be no giga coaster. And King's Dominion sucks anyway. Cedar Point FTW.

well dang, someone told me they had gotten rid of it completely. that's nice to hear, though. It was my favorite ride there. Maybe I will go back this summer now just for that.

They did shut it down for a season or part of a season and I had read they were dismantling it.

I assumed it was gone and then last summer someone told me that it was open again and they rode it.

I'm not sure what happened - I don't even think it was on the park maps for a while.

Archived