Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kings Dominion: New Roller Coaster Construction

greenspandan

They did shut it down for a season or part of a season and I had read they were dismantling it.

I assumed it was gone and then last summer someone told me that it was open again and they rode it.

I'm not sure what happened - I don't even think it was on the park maps for a while.

Paramount was going to move it to another park and make it an outdoor coaster before they knew they had a buyer. Once Cedar Fair put in the offer, all moves were suspended. Once the sale was final, Cedar Fair decided to keep the coaster at KD because they "wanted to make KD the CP of the East", It started last year with the Dominator (record breaking coaster), next year (record breaking coaster) and two years after that another record breaker.

Cedar Fair isn't using half of the land that they own for KD. The expansion to that park is going to be amazing.

LOL i used to ride that thing like 20 times every visit! I dont think my big ass would fit in the cars now though :hysterical:

That was my first roller coaster. I doubt I could ride it anymore either lol. I'm not a huge roller coaster fan. I'll get on some but its whatever

yeah that's Top Thrill Dragster ... it launches you from 0 to 120mph in 5 seconds, something like that, then you go straight up and straight down that 400-something foot tower. really fun ride (but not as good as millenium force) :)

I remember waiting in line a lot of people started to freak out a little bit when the thing couldn't go all the way up on its first launch, the coaster just went up and slid back down.

Oh and wiki says its 0 to 120 in 3.8 seconds.

Flight of Fear is still operating at Kings Dominion. They didn't get rid of it; they just dropped the Outer Limits licensing from the name years ago. It's actually much better now than it was when it first opened, because they replaced the head-smashing shoulder bar restraints with lap bars.

Decades ago, the old King Kobra sat in the spot Anaconda occupies now, not too far from where Outer Limits sits. Once King Kobra left, you were out of luck if you wanted a lap-bar launcher that would turn you upside-down.

...Until Flight of Fear got its lap bars. Nice little tie back to history for that area of the park.

Busch Gardens outclasses Kings Dominion in almost every way, though. Roller coaster count doesn't mean quite so much when Kings Dominion maintains their wooden rides far less competently than they did years ago, and when they're counting crapfests like Shockwave and Anaconda in there. It's sad to ride Hurler, Grizzly, etc. and reflect on what they used to be like. Wooden coasters at Cedar Point are not highly regarded, and that's partially due to the way the park maintains them. Kings Dominion shares the same owners and I wouldn't bet on them doing any better with wooden upkeep in Virginia.

I'm happy to make my judgment now: Dominator is the best steel ride at Kings Dominion. It's a full roller coaster - beginning, middle, end. (It's also a transplant from Ohio, where it was originally built at Geauga Lake and then shipped out when that park closed.) Fast, fun, huge, beautiful ride. Volcano is a brilliant launch and climb, but then you slowly stroll through a couple of barrel rolls and drop into the brakes. Meh. It makes no sense and you can tell exactly where the budget ran out at design time. They really lost a lot of opportunity there. And for that we lost the Time Shaft, too. :(

I'd agree that it's better than any Six Flags park except the one in New Jersey. Great Adventure's biggest disadvantage is its clientele. Its roller coaster lineup is better than either Busch Gardens or Kings Dominion. The one-two of Nitro and El Toro utterly blow away anything at either Virginia park. Neither park has any answer to either ride. Sadly, most of Great Adventure suffers from the same parking-lot feel as Kings Dominion -- and with a very high percentage of the most revolting customers NY/NJ has to offer.

Of course, Kings Dominion might have something to say about Nitro by next summer. My lips are sealed. :cool:

It's not better than Magic Mountain or Six Flags over Texas.

Nah, actually it's supposed to happen somewhat often, depending on the wind conditions at the time.

They even warn you about beforehand.

haha ok. That would definitely make me a little weary of riding it though...but since you say it's supposed to do it then screw it, I'd get on it. I need to make it there sometime because that thing looks sooo fun. and it looks like they have some other awesome rides there, too.

haha ok. That would definitely make me a little weary of riding it though...but since you say it's supposed to do it then screw it, I'd get on it. I need to make it there sometime because that thing looks sooo fun. and it looks like they have some other awesome rides there, too.

If you don't want to travel all the way to Cedar Point, you can go to the Six Flags in New Jersey and ride the taller/faster version called the Kingda Ka. Six Flags Jersey has some great rides to go along with the Kingda Ka as well.

The dominator sucks monkey balls.

you're crazy.

And isn't Joker's Jinx the EXACT same ride as Flight of Fear, just outside?

well, almost. flight of fear has a brake segment (which they employ liberally) halfway through the course, while joker's jinx has none.

I have to agree that Busch Gardens is the overall better park.

King's Dominion could've continued to add rides while keeping some of it's old school charm. Time Shaft, Haunted River, and Smurf Mountain were highlights of my childhood. Smurf mountain was a horrible ride, but does anyone remember the very beginning turn where everyone would leave their gum....all the olors gave it a rainbow look.

Anyone remember the Avalanche Bobsled, or the Extreme Skyflyer...lol

The Avalanche used to scare the **** out of me!! I always would lean the opposite way of the turns bc I thought the car was gonna fall of the track!!! It's still there though - my friend rode it on Memorial Day weekend.

Has anyone mentioned the Days of Thunder ride yet?? I used to love that one!!! It was the indoor simulator like right near the front of the park. They changed it to something else a couple years later and I have no clue what it is now but it was sweet.

The Avalanche used to scare the **** out of me!! I always would lean the opposite way of the turns bc I thought the car was gonna fall of the track!!! It's still there though - my friend rode it on Memorial Day weekend.

Has anyone mentioned the Days of Thunder ride yet?? I used to love that one!!! It was the indoor simulator like right near the front of the park. They changed it to something else a couple years later and I have no clue what it is now but it was sweet.

I think its a SpongeBob ride now lol. At least thats what it was when I was there a few years back. It was a James Bond thing at one point which was pretty cool.

Archived