Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Zorn Discusses Jansen Decision

JaimeDeCurry

You know this how?

Chances are Buges wanted to keep Jansen. That's been his trademark, being undying loyal to the guys who play for him.

But unless there's a quote or somebody was in the meeting rooms, it's all complete and total speculation...

When Gibbs retired he stated that Snyder had a fondness for Buges and Buges would have a position as long as he wanted one. Buges was also brought in during the Spurrier era to evaluate the blocking schemes. Vinny Cerratto was officially given roster control when he was promoted after Gibbs retired. Zorn was on the chopping block until the skins won a 10-3 game against the Eagles. He is a fraud and on borrowed time.

Yeah 'cos Buges and Cerrato are known for over valueing rookies when comparing them to vets... oh wait a minute... I got that the wrong way round. So did you, but you skewed it to fit your agenda, I see. Well played :silly:

Please name a rookie O-lineman that was drafted who is on the roster. Who is the one skewing facts now? Oh wait, yours are immediately discredited. Maybe you should stick to subjective topics because you suck with facts.

When Gibbs retired he stated that Snyder had a fondness for Buges and Buges would have a position as long as he wanted one. Buges was also brought in during the Spurrier era to evaluate the blocking schemes. Vinny Cerratto was officially given roster control when he was promoted after Gibbs retired. Zorn was on the chopping block until the skins won a 10-3 game against the Eagles. He is a fraud and on borrowed time.

I'm curious...where exactly did you get such specific information?

Prior to the Eagles game Cerrato stated that everyone would be evaluated at the end of the season. Following the Eagles win, he stated that Zorn would be the coach in 2009.

You're assuming things and you don't have any solid evidence that Zorn was really on the "chopping block" as you say. Cerrato had been badgered by questions about Zorn returning, and he finally described the question as "crazy".

Find me a solid quote that gives you reason to believe that he was going to be fired, not some JLC conjured rumor about Zorn's job security.

you know..

It would seem weird to see Buges on the sidelines with youngin's. ha

I wonder if 'ol Buges is trying to set us up for the future before he steps down? That will be a sad sad day in DC. I've always kinda hoped we'd have some players coaching eventually, at the OL position.

Jansen has to be kidding. 'Really enthusiastic'? to be going to the 0-16 Lions?

People aren't going to Detroit these days, they are LEAVING.

But it appears Jon's competition at RT in Detroit is even thinner than it was here, so perhaps that is what has him excited.

In reference to the point made by the other poster, I agree that I would like to have seen a Redskins veteran return as OL coach, but it was never going to be Jansen.

He always seemed too selfish of a player to me to make a good coach.

At the end he was in real denial about how far his skills had declined, something that was there for all to see the second half of 2008.

Russ Grimm was here as OL coach for a good while until Marty decided that Mike Solari was more 'qualified' (ie he was his guy from KC).

The Redskins could have used Grimm as OC and potentially HC down the road, but they let him go to Pittsburgh and the rest is history.

Does this move put Thomas on alert if he begins the same trek that followed Jansen with injuries? I noticed last season that Thomas was really having issues with run blocking. The right side of the O'line got better with Jansen reclaiming his tackle spot.

Thomas was an alternate pro bowler last year, and that was playing with a severly injured neck. He seemed to get beat more than usual but no one seemed to be calling him out as the problem.

Jansen on the other hand seemed to be the whipping boy for the O line criticism. Remember 2 seasons ago or maybe it was 3, Parcells was profiled in the Times about his coaching approach to the game, and at the time he was watching tape and he pointed out that Jansen was getting beat and is not the same guy he was.

And that was a younger Jansen, before his last injury.

Zorn is doing his best to be kind and still make winning decisions. Jansen gave a lot to the team. He simply wore down and could not play at the level desired/needed, and there was no viable alternative role for him here, given all the circumstances.

It is a tough business, as most are these days.

Athletes generally take all the rope (money/bennies/perks) they can possibly get (logical), and owners/coaches need to make the moves they feel they need to make to win (logical). While I have full appreciation for Jon, wish him well, and think he'll likely be a fine jock/broadcaster, I think it was certainly time, after one last look, to part ways.

yeah, after reading zorn's straight up no BS comments and your breakdown i feel better about the move.

i killed this team for the move yesterday ...i guess it was just the last 10 years of bad moves and then seeing jon go this way.

Thomas was an alternate pro bowler last year, and that was playing with a severly injured neck. He seemed to get beat more than usual but no one seemed to be calling him out as the problem.

Jansen on the other hand seemed to be the whipping boy for the O line criticism. Remember 2 seasons ago or maybe it was 3, Parcells was profiled in the Times about his coaching approach to the game, and at the time he was watching tape and he pointed out that Jansen was getting beat and is not the same guy he was.

And that was a younger Jansen, before his last injury.

Jon Jansen was a solid RT who came in after being drafted and did a great job for about three seasons. But the injuries to his ankle and foot started his dismiss.

I just hope Thomas holds up better than Jon. I know he was injured last season, and, still recovering but I did noticed before the reported injury to his shoulder that he was having some difficulty blocking on some run plays.

The good news of all of this is that younger guys like a Edwin Williams and Devin Clark, or even solid depth players (and possible starter) like Will Montgomery have the opportunity to fight for a roster spot that most of us thought would have automatically gone to Jansen.

And I wish Jon the best, he'll be very good on tv.

I don't think you can get any more fair and honest than that with out stripping the man (Jansen) of his dignity. Zorn is only expressing the issues that us outsiders have observed for the past 3-4 seasons.

I agree. No need to dwell on the age or injuries of the man because we all know about them and that it's the reason he dropped off so much the past few seasons. It's good to see him go to Detroit because it's his home and he'll probably get to start there. As much as I wish he could have retired a Redskin, this works out better for everybody. We get the roster spot that he would have taken up and he gets to start and keep playing.

Please name a rookie O-lineman that was drafted who is on the roster.

You reinforce my point for me.

Who is the one skewing facts now?

As per usual.....

Oh wait, yours are immediately discredited. Maybe you should stick to subjective topics because you suck with facts.

Wrong again.

I would like to know how answering the rookie OL question (zero) would do anything other than reinforce my point that old/underperforming OL players have been overvalued in recent years, which must have been either by Bugel or Cerrato, or Bugel and Cerrato. Rabach's next though he may last one more season as a starter.

I don't think you can get any more fair and honest than that with out stripping the man (Jansen) of his dignity. Zorn is only expressing the issues that us outsiders have observed for the past 3-4 seasons.

Well said man!:applause:

Jansen was a good 'skin, but I think this is a good move. I think the best thing is that it must mean that the staff has confidence in the new additions or the young guys from last year are looking good. All the best to Big Jon, and I wish him well with the Lions.

I certainly hope so. The OL should and likely will receive much more attention after this season. Rabach's smart and durable, but we need a stronger body there IMO in a major way.
IMO Good Ol' Ryback should have been first. But thats just a personal beef I have with him.

This is the second off season of short legs quotes and trying out other OL position guys at C. Hopefully there won't be a third. Must have been very hard for the RG last season with revolving doors to left and right. A big guy in the Anthony Montgomery type size range (6' 6" 330lbs) would be nice. A forward push on short yardage plays would really help our O IMO :)

Archived