Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Zorn Discusses Jansen Decision

JaimeDeCurry

Really?....We really can't honor a core player's contract with a 1 mill bonus? We can't wait to see what these guy's look like in pads? Bridges is a good pick up for us. I watched a lot of Panther games, but we're banking on him, Mike Williams, and Heyer? If Samuels goes down, we'll be exposed again without someone who has game experience, leadership, and love for the B+G. Maybe the film was bad last year, but he was out of shape after his injury going in to camp in "08 if I remember correctly. C'mon guys, seriously?

Love you JJ. Good luck man...:(

I think that Heyer's liability in the run game, is not as glaring as Jansen's liability in the pass game. I think this move needed to happen sooner (like last season). His game experience doesn't help us much if he physically can't match up, and that's been his problem. He was a great player for us, and I applaud him for the years of hard work. But his time has come and gone.

I love Gibbs but I couldn't stand him beating around the bush on every topic that came up. I find Zorn to be forthcoming and honest and that's how he should be.

Football is played by grown men. If you are worried about hurting someone feelings "up here" then you have no business working in the league. And if you cant handle an honest assessment of your performance then you will have a really hard time in life, no matter what you do.

I agree with your point. But I also agree with the post about it would also be "refreshing" to see some self criticism out of Zorn, too. Clearly, he had to at least have some issues in his first season whether it was clock managment, red zone play calling, etc.

IMO if you are going to point out your players flaws, IMO it carries over better if you take some heat yourself. Even some of the more ego driven coaches like Parcells would sometimes be self critical.

Zorn finally did it in a major way towards the end of the season but that was after a devastating loss to the Bengals and at that point Zorn was recently called out some by some players on it, with Portis being the one going public. (according to the papers there were some players who privately concurred with Portis, and that also was revealed later by Keim in a Warpath issue)

I agree with Oldfan that maybe execution was the main issue and that Zorn needs to do a better job articulating himself. One thing I'll say is that I was impressed with some of Zorn's press conferences so far around OTA's. He came across as a better communicator and seemed to have a confident commanding presence about him.

Last season, listening to him explain himself made me have some doubts. Guys like Gregg Williams for example for me SOUNDED the part of being the expert. Zorn for me not so much.

Eh, I don't think Zorn needed to be that "honest." There's a reason why Gibbs was a master of the media--he had the ability to say a lot without really saying anything. Zorn's "honesty" in the press worries me sometimes.

Gibbs is Gibbs and Zorn is Zorn. There is no ONE style that is the only one to work. Vermeil cries, Parcells screams, Cowher grunts and scowls, Bellicheck grumbles and mumbles, Gibbs played the father, Zorn is the old QB, and Wade Phillips is the creepy uncle.... For Zorn to try to be Gibbs would = instant FAIL. Players sniff out and do not trust fakeness.

not that anyone but fans from this site would throw it back in his face, but if zorn wants to be candid and publicly state why a player was released, in this case cause there was no difference in training, then I would love to see how he applies that logic and evaluation to many a player on our roster, cause I can think of quite a few that I haven't seen something "different" in for years now...

While I agree, there also is a big difference between being good and not improving, being average and not improving, and being poor and not improving. I am pretty sure Jansen was evaluated as the latter of those options.

Gibbs is Gibbs and Zorn is Zorn. There is no ONE style that is the only one to work. Vermeil cries, Parcells screams, Cowher grunts and scowls, Bellicheck grumbles and mumbles, Gibbs played the father, Zorn is the old QB, and Wade Phillips is the creepy uncle.... For Zorn to try to be Gibbs would = instant FAIL. Players sniff out and do not trust fakeness.

Zorn won them over by criticizing everyone but himself, by sending mixed messages to his best player and not having the guts to bench him himself in the 2nd half against Baltimore.

At least he wears his Seahawk Super Bowl loser ring on the sideline that he received as a position coach in 2005. I am sure the players respect him for that.

There is no fakeness there. The players must fight each other to get in line to kiss his ring before taking the field each week.

Zorn won them over by criticizing everyone but himself, by sending mixed messages to his best player and not having the guts to bench him himself in the 2nd half against Baltimore.

At least he wears his Seahawk Super Bowl loser ring on the sideline that he received as a position coach in 2005. I am sure the players respect him for that.

There is no fakeness there. The players must fight each other to get in line to kiss his ring before taking the field each week.

Clearly you just have an axe to grind. The messiah Gibbs didn't come here with a SB ring on his finger either and yet he was proud of his time/work with SD and Coryall....

I have not heard of any lines for players to kiss anyones rings, Gibbs or Zorn... :doh:

i think some are shocked because this team has a way of holding on to vets for too long. and we also didnt hear anything about this prior.

all normal things to be shocked over.

Yeah, this is a necessary step in us getting younger on the OL.

Kendall -> Dockery

Fabini - Bridges

Jansen - Williams

Its not MUCH younger (I'd like to see draft picks go to the line), but it is an attempt to get younger.

It's tough but honestly I don't think Stephon Heyer is better at this time. It's a major risk and certianly they can't count on Mike Williams. Major chance, I hope it pans out but I really will miss Jon Jansen

Heyer may not be better, but he's younger and a lot less expensive and not to mention that he understands that he's competing for the spot and won't whine to the press about getting benched. just saying.

And I loved Jansen when he was playing good, but its all about what have you done for me lately. If we can attempt to trade Campbell for a month, we can certainly get rid of Jansen.

I like what Zorn said. Just flat out said it, but in a respectable way.

Yeah, I thought it was interesting that we were getting so many updates on the other RTs (not really anything about Bridges), but nothing really on Jansen. I thought that maybe he was hyping himself up. The coaches weren't seeing it.

Class move by Snyder for the way he handled it. Zorn is a fraud. Buges and Cerrato likely had more say than Zorn did in the decision.

Yeah 'cos Buges and Cerrato are known for over valueing rookies when comparing them to vets... oh wait a minute... I got that the wrong way round. So did you, but you skewed it to fit your agenda, I see. Well played :silly:

This feels right, even though it's tough to say goodbye to such a long-tenured Redskin. Rock is such an apt nickname for Jansen. He was so steady and consistent for so long on the right side. Let's not lose sight of that. It's easy to remember the last couple of injury prone seasons, but that should not be his legacy as a Redskin.

Does this move put Thomas on alert if he begins the same trek that followed Jansen with injuries? I noticed last season that Thomas was really having issues with run blocking. The right side of the O'line got better with Jansen reclaiming his tackle spot.

I am not sold on Heyer as the number one guy at this point. I am hoping Williams moves into the RT position. Just maybe, Zorn and Bugel see the same thing in Williams as the natural fit for that side of the O'Line.

Zorn's assessment of Jansen rings true. Most of his press conferences have a similar tone of honesty and candor. This is not to say he doesn't have flaws and room for improvement as a coach but he doesn't talk in circles. Just hope their faith in Heyer is justified since Jansen would have provided some insurance as a back up.

Zorn is doing his best to be kind and still make winning decisions. Jansen gave a lot to the team. He simply wore down and could not play at the level desired/needed, and there was no viable alternative role for him here, given all the circumstances.

It is a tough business, as most are these days.

Athletes generally take all the rope (money/bennies/perks) they can possibly get (logical), and owners/coaches need to make the moves they feel they need to make to win (logical). While I have full appreciation for Jon, wish him well, and think he'll likely be a fine jock/broadcaster, I think it was certainly time, after one last look, to part ways.

Still would have been better to say. "Jansen was a great player for the Redskins. He contributed greatly while he was here...battled through two broken thumbs at the same time to not miss any playing time. We really appreciate what he did here, and we wish him the best."

PERIOD.

I still think Zorn has a player mentality...and should keep any negativity about Skins players to himself.

But, that's just me.

Still would have been better to say. "Jansen was a great player for the Redskins. He contributed greatly while he was here...battled through two broken thumbs at the same time to not miss any playing time. We really appreciate what he did here, and we wish him the best."

PERIOD.

I still think Zorn has a player mentality...and should keep any negativity about Skins players to himself.

But, that's just me.

Agree 100%. Especially with a player like Jansen and what he meant to the Redskins over the last 10 years.

Class move by Snyder for the way he handled it. Zorn is a fraud. Buges and Cerrato likely had more say than Zorn did in the decision.

You know this how?

Chances are Buges wanted to keep Jansen. That's been his trademark, being undying loyal to the guys who play for him.

But unless there's a quote or somebody was in the meeting rooms, it's all complete and total speculation...

Archived