Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

W.T.:Hopefuls finally fall in line

terrifNick21

Rinehart, a three-year starter at left tackle in college, is making the transition to guard. He took all the snaps at right guard during team drills of a May OTA practice.

"We didn't draft a lineman, but I really like the young guys we already had."

I like hearing quotes like this.

But, i remember hearing positives about Rhinehart last offseason yet he didn't play a lick during the season when we were hurting for lineman.

Until Rhinehart beats out an aging injured Randy Thomas i'll consider any praise of our young lineman as pure 'coach speak.'

*Unless of course that praise is heaped on Edwin William or Burley ;)

-Go Terps!!

The other reason I don't like calling this a "youth movement" is that although we're getting younger guys as backups, our coaching staff seems to have a love affair with veterans and seem to want to play them instead of better rookies (young guys). We saw it last year with Jansen over Heyer and with Doughty over Horton. We even saw it with Taylor over Evans (and I wouldn't call Evans too young). A youth movement would be opening up these positions to competition and saying "may the best man win"

I disagree. O-line is not about the best man or individual talent. The five best o-linemen to ever play can make up the worse line ever put on the field. It is all about cohesion. The sum of the whole is greater then the individual parts.

Heyer makes far to many mistakes. How many times have we seen him drop back to pass block on a running plays. Sometimes his head is not in the game and he is playing a "thinking mans" position. Who ever replaces Jensen needs to make the unit better and Heyer does not do that on running plays.

But I disagree with you with Dockery being the last "pick" of ours that starts. I mean, Heyer started almost 16 games at RT in 2007 and started a few in 2008 before getting injured and losing his job to Jansen. He's technically not a pick, but he is a bright spot of our front office.

Heyer is good for an UFA but he shouldn't be starting in the league. Him having to start for us, because we have not used the few resources that we haven't squandered away to bring in anyone better, is evidence that our FO is weak more than it is a bright spot on their resume.

Heyer is good for an UFA but he shouldn't be starting in the league. Him having to start for us, because we have not used the few resources that we haven't squandered away to bring in anyone better, is evidence that our FO is weak more than it is a bright spot on their resume.

you base that on what? He did a real good job against Strahan in 2007. He was a guy we were hype about before the 2008 season. Then he got hurt last year and suddenly people are saying this.

I disagree. O-line is not about the best man or individual talent. The five best o-linemen to ever play can make up the worse line ever put on the field. It is all about cohesion. The sum of the whole is greater then the individual parts.

Heyer makes far to many mistakes. How many times have we seen him drop back to pass block on a running plays. Sometimes his head is not in the game and he is playing a "thinking mans" position. Who ever replaces Jensen needs to make the unit better and Heyer does not do that on running plays.

Uuh, I'll say never.

you base that on what? He did a real good job against Strahan in 2007. He was a guy we were hype about before the 2008 season. Then he got hurt last year and suddenly people are saying this.

That's just my opinion of him after watching him play for the Redskins for two seasons. I don't think he should be a starter. I was saying that at the end of 2007 as well.

Sort of a side topic, but I found this comment interesting:

"Last offseason, I was training for the combine: the bench press, agility drills and the 40 - stuff that doesn't really apply to football. This year, I've been able to train for football, concentrate on my explosion and my first step. I got all my strength back, and I'm a lot more comfortable and confident in the system."

It never occured to me that the combine process might hold back rookie development. These guys hire specialized trainers and spend what seems like a considerable amount of months training for the focused skills they are asked to diplay during the combine. Rather than spending that time doing whatever it is that a normal football player would do to prepare for a season.

The Eagles just traded for a former undrafted free agent left tackle who's been to multiple Pro Bowls. Please don't tell me undrafted free agents can't develop or don't deserve to start. The honest truth is Heyer was a remarkable success story for us two years ago when he, LITERALLY, played great football in the preseason and played very solid when he got on the field.

Last year he won the right tackle spot and probably is a very good option for us there. I happen to like Rinehart a lot from what I've heard about him. Clark I don't know anything about. But, Heyer is a positive guy to rally around, not someone to be upset about. Not yet at least.

Uuh, I'll say never.

Actually, Heyer has made a number of blown assignments. It's the one thing the team has worried about with him because physically he's actually more than held his own when he's done the right things. This, I believe, is correctable though.

The skins have at the same time had a great deal of sucess when they pay veterans small contracts. Mike Sellers, Demitric Evans, Deangelo Hall, etc.

Course, it says alot about your argument when one leaves for more money, one gets a new multi-million dollar deal, and one threatens to hold out because he doesn't feel like he's getting paid what he's worth. What is says, maybe, is that we aren't overpaying for those other guys, but we do underpay these guys. That situation doesn't last long if you are a productive player.

People forget the reaquisition of Dockery who isnt that old. he is experienced... Id say, but not old by any stretch. He is also a quality lineman. Didnt we also just bring in that young guy Bridges who has starting experience elsewhere? Samuals is still stoic and will play at a high level. We have depth in Reinhart who may very well get some good playing time this year, Clark is a project and so is Mike Williams. I think our line is going to surprise this season.

I'm one of the least worried ES members when it comes to our line because I think we may have 4/5 of our line of the future. There's the three guys just mentioned, Heyer, Clark, Rinehart, plus we picked up the 5th best center in this year's draft with Edwin Williams.

My biggest concern is whether they can all make the roster because if we put any of them on the practice squad, they are sure to get picked up by another team. I remember reading last year that personnel people of other teams thought we do a great job of building a practice squad and that's why a guy like Crummey was picked up before we could continue developing him.

With these 4 guys not being forced into the lineup, we can bring each one in gradually over the next couple of years to replace the vets. Heyer might make his way into the lineup this year. All we need to do is pick up a gifted, but not polished LT in the 2nd or 3rd round next year to sit behind Samuels for a year or two.

Sure. Sit any big fat guy behind a first-round, all Pro Left Tackle like Samuels, plunk his fat butt behind him for two years and "Voila!", you've got the QB's blind side covered for another decade.

Wow! Who'd a thunk it? And all of these other teams are wasting their first round draft pick on OLT's.

You don't have to have an OL made of nothing but first round picks. But whether the NFL or a used car lot, you get what you pay for and you can't build an OLine out of nothing but UDFA's either. We have what's left of a good OLine we paid for by drafting a 2nd round RT that's been here since 99 and a great LT that been here since being drafted in the first round in 2000. If anything, what we have now is the remains of what, at one time, was a good OL. But, like watching a wall crumble over a century, the Skins have let it go through neglect. And instead of putting concrete in its place, the Skins are filling it with plaster of paris.

The "4/5ths of our future OL" is 3/4's made up of people who were bypassed by 31 other NFL teams in the draft. Heyer is barely beating a guy who was returning form injury last year and, by NFL standards, should be in a rocking chair. The team thought so much of Heyer's skill they brought in a guy who hasn't played in two years and another team's castoff for competitiion, and Heyer's been here for 3 years. So much for plunking the "gifted but unpolished" big fat guy behind the RT for a while. Clark and Rinehart haven't played a down if you leave out pre-season and special teams. And Edwin Williams is a guy who had 7 centers drafted ahead of him and was rated the 13th best center by at least one scouting organization. Strange happenings if he's the 5th best center.

We are one injury away from becoming a swinging door of an Oline. The Oline is a disaster waiting to happen and the so-called "youth movement" couldn't make any other team in the NFL.

What happened with the analysis the coaches did at the end of the season that said that OL was the reason for the 2-6 slide? Dockery's acquisition somehow fixed that? Because I didn't see any other change on the OL.

We'll see who was closer to reality at the end of the season. Worried? Not a bit. But I expect the OLine to be an unmitigated disaster this year.

We are one injury away from becoming a swinging door of an Oline. The Oline is a disaster waiting to happen and the so-called "youth movement" couldn't make any other team in the NFL.

Well, a couple of years ago we had a couple guys go down for the season early, yet we were able to perservere and make the playoffs. I think our backup situation has improved from that season, since we aren't depending on an over-the-hill backup tackle to back up guard.

What happened with the analysis the coaches did at the end of the season that said that OL was the reason for the 2-6 slide? Dockery's acquisition somehow fixed that? Because I didn't see any other change on the OL.

Heyer is still a developing player in his 3rd year. We've also brought in a couple of guys who will compete for the position. As a longshot, there is always a chance that Jansen can regain his form, but I don't count on that much.

As for Guard, Rinehart now has another year of experience and can push for a backup job. We also brought in a couple of guys who are experienced backups and probably more capable than Fabini.

Guys don't lose their spots on NFL rosters because they are old, they lose out because of performance. Darrell Green did not get automatically cut at age 35. Whoever heard of a 35 year cornerback. Those happen about once every 10 years. But Green could still rip off a 4.3 and cover any wide receiver in the league.

In fact, he could have played at 42 if he had decided too but he chose to go out on top with his health and while he was still able to say he could cover. So its not age, it is lack of ability that ends a career...and that is why the Redskins are looking at Rinehart and Heyer because Jansen is washed up and through as an effective pass blocker and Randy Thomas is also having problems staying on the field from injuries.

From the article in the OP:

Offensive line coach Joe Bugel raved about the progress Rinehart and Clark have made.

"Those two guys are really coming on," he said. "Chad has changed his body. He's stronger. He anchors better, and he has a better idea of what it takes to succeed in this league. Devin has done a nice job at left tackle against some pretty good pass-rushers.

"We didn't draft a lineman, but I really like the young guys we already had."

They didn't play Rineheart at all last year and rumors I heard were that Buges didn't like him. Maybe if Bugel has changed his tune, things will play out different for Rino.

Sorry to quote the entire post, but when was the last time he did that?

Exactly.

And half of what made the Hogs so great was that they were usually much bigger than the DL they were facing. I'm not so sure that Bugel had that tough a job back then and we won and the line had its best year after he left anyway.

The Eagles just traded for a former undrafted free agent left tackle who's been to multiple Pro Bowls. Please don't tell me undrafted free agents can't develop or don't deserve to start. The honest truth is Heyer was a remarkable success story for us two years ago when he, LITERALLY, played great football in the preseason and played very solid when he got on the field.

Last year he won the right tackle spot and probably is a very good option for us there. I happen to like Rinehart a lot from what I've heard about him. Clark I don't know anything about. But, Heyer is a positive guy to rally around, not someone to be upset about. Not yet at least.

I never did say that UFA can't start or develop. I spoke about one player and said I don't think he is good enough that he should be starting. I like Heyer just fine... great pick-up for an UFA and good depth. As for having him as our starter... we could do better.

I Disagree. We have brought in tons of old overpriced guys, Most recently Jason Taylor but also players that have had solid production like Cornelius Griffin, Marcus Washington, Fred Smoot, Adam Archuleta, Phillip Daniels, Andre Carter, Randy Thomas, Casey Rabach, Jeremiah Trotter, and Shawn Springs.

this is hardly a list of busts, but almost all of them were overpayed at their skill level and position.

The skins have at the same time had a great deal of sucess when they pay veterans small contracts. Mike Sellers, Demitric Evans, Deangelo Hall, etc.

Um, Washington, Griffin, Carter, Thomas, Rabach and Trotter were NOT old when brought here. Unless you draft them or get them off the trash heap, they were about as young as they come. Shawn Springs was getting up there but did end up giving us 5 years, 2 more than was projected by the guys who brought him in. Daniels was NOT given that huge of a contract based on the years he was projected to play, he's probably given us a year more than our people expected.

Archived