Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Redskins Insider; Haynesworth impresses...

WhoRUSupposed2Be

Hidden within the article was information about a clearly devastating roster move:

The Washington Redskins also announced they signed wide receiver Keith Eloi and released punter Zac Atterberry.

Zac Atterberry is gone??! Nooooooooo!!!! That's it, the season's done already. Our punting will be horrible, and by extension our special teams, and therefore one-third of our team, and thus our season will suck.

Link works for me.

I was unaware that Haynesworth was the best player in football, though.

As was I. Typical Redskins attitude though. I've seen players and fans over-glorify other players from year to year, and those players never quite live up to the hype. That's what it's like in the Summer around here. Haynesworth is nowhere near the best player in the league. He might be top five D lineman in the league, but I can name three guys that are at least his equal at his position. Ngata, J. Williams...okay 2 guys that are at least as dominant as he at his position. Still, the "best player in the league?" D. Hall been smokin' that Blacksburg sticky icky :D

As was I. Typical Redskins attitude though. I've seen players and fans over-glorify other players from year to year, and those players never quite live up to the hype. That's what it's like in the Summer around here. Haynesworth is nowhere near the best player in the league. He might be top five D lineman in the league, but I can name three guys that are at least his equal at his position. Ngata, J. Williams...okay 2 guys that are at least as dominant as he at his position. Still, the "best player in the league?" D. Hall been smokin' that Blacksburg sticky icky :D
Ngata is not as good as Haynesworth. Guys like Ngata, Casey Hampton, and Kris Jenkins play different roles as 3-4 nose tackles than what Haynesworth accomplishes in the 4-3.

Haynesworth, the last two years, has been one of the most single dominant players in the league.

We didn't invent his 100 million dollar price tag, his market price was between 90-100 million or so because of his demand, and there's reason for it.

Now calling him the best player in the NFL is a stretch, but he's definitely been one of the top 5 or even 3 defensive players in the NFL lately.

I like all of the fluff and everything but I am curious; do players ever really say anything other than good things about their newly signed teammates?:rolleyes:

I agree to a point, but at the same time, they don't have to be this open or outspoken about it. JC wouldn't have to say that he loves having him here, or that he's good in the locker room. Now, does all of this praise mean he'll do what we expect on the field? Its nice to hope, but we can't know for sure. But it is nice to see that he is putting in effort like everyone else, fitting in, and is making a good impression on the rest of our defense/team. That's all you can ask for, at this point.

I don't think this is anything to get very excited about. This is how it should be. If there was any hint of Haynesworth not being impressive and not being worth that money (assuming anyone can be worth that much), we should get worried. I'm definitely excited to see the defense on the field, though.

I agree about Ngata et al not being as good. Haynesworth stops the run as well as any DT, but has 14.5 sacks over the last 2 years. In terms of better defensive players in the league, I can only think of a few...Ed Reed, Nnamdi Asomugha, maybe Julius Peppers when motivated, maybe Mario Williams, maybe Demarcus Ware. If I can only take one of them though, it is Haynesworth, and I'm not saying that because he is with us. I believed the same thing when he was with Tennessee. I just think that a dominating tackle that can stop the run and rush the passer is the most valuable commodity a defense could have.

Archived