Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Last Years Draft Picks be Cut?

PlayAction

Can the Skins put a player with one year roster experience on the practice squad? If not, how many of the rookies do you think will be expendable this season?

Rob Jackson DE - Skins gain Orakpo, Haynsworth, Daniels and Wynn. Lose only Demetric Evans and Jason Taylor.

Justin Tryon CB - Skins drafted a new bigger better? CB to battle it out for the nickel corner spot. Do we keep Smoot, Tryon or other?

Safeties - How many are the Skins going to keep? This depends also on the number of CBs. Is Moore good enough to beat out Reed Doughty? Both play special teams.

OL - Chad Rinehart or Devon Clark? Skins have signed a slew of OLmen of unknown ability. IF Williams makes the team then the question is whether Jansen stays as a C/OT backup. If they keep him for his experience then one of these rookies is likely on the bubble. But do the Skins have anyone to back-up LT? Heyer can't cut it at LT and is a pure RT (possibly only a backup). If he's not flexible to play multiple positions as a backup he's a liability to the team given the limited positions allocated to the OL.

How many of last year's rookie class will be cut this year?

Jackson and Tryon would be the first.

Moore is solid and many seem to think he could start at FS while Landry would be able to move back to his natural SS position.

Horton obviously has earned himself a starting role.

Rinehart was be developed and we need youth at the OL. I don't see him getting the axe.

Tryon adds depth and because its only been a year, I think they will wait and see.

Jackson showed flashes. It will be hard for him with Orakpo, Wynn, Carter, Daniels, and Wilson to stay.

I think the receivers and safeties are safe. We invested too much into the receivers to give up on them after one season. Is Mike Green still on the roster? If so I still think last years rookies will stay, with Green and Doughty competing for the other spot. All other positions should be up for grabs. I haven't heard anything about bringing in any significant competition for guard, so I guess Rinehart should be pretty safe as well.

Rob Jackson- who knows, Zorn has mentioned him when hes talking about developing players, but I don't know if there is a roster spot for him with Rak, wynnn, daniels, carter, wilson, etc.

J.T.- If he can't beat out Westbrook, he deserves to be cut or practice squadded.

Safeties- I think: Landry, Horton, Moore, Doughty. No reason to carry more than 4, especially if one of the CB's can play safety, too.

OL- theres so many OL on the roster right now I honestly have no idea. I think Rinehart will stay though.

One not mentioned- MALCOLM KELLY. With what I'm reading, some of the WR's at camp are impressing. So if Kelly isn't good to go at 100%, I see no reason to keep him simply because hes a 2nd rounder. We'll see if Hackett, Eloi, or Marko can step up.

I think Tryon would be most likely to be cut. Jackson showed some potential last year and has put on another ten pounds without losing a step and shown that he can be solid against the run as well as the sparks he showed getting to the passer in the preseason last year. I read this in a report, I understand if someone wants to dispute it considering I'm not providing a link, so take it with a grain of salt if you will. But I feel that none of them will be cut.

I think the receivers and safeties are safe. We invested too much into the receivers to give up on them after one season. Is Mike Green still on the roster? If so I still think last years rookies will stay, with Green and Doughty competing for the other spot. All other positions should be up for grabs. I haven't heard anything about bringing in any significant competition for guard, so I guess Rinehart should be pretty safe as well.

Green is still a FA

Can the Skins put a player with one year roster experience on the practice squad? If not, how many of the rookies do you think will be expendable this season?

Rob Jackson DE - Skins gain Orakpo, Haynsworth, Daniels and Wynn. Lose only Demetric Evans and Jason Taylor.

Hanyesworth is the only guy we got that is really an upgrade, and he is tackle. Jackson put on some wieght over last year, and is the only larger young DE we have. Orakpo and Wilson have been working out alot a SAM, so it's not clear if either will be playing DE much. We do know that Wilson is not big enought to go every down, and Orakpo is pretty small for a LDE.

Justin Tryon CB - Skins drafted a new bigger better? CB to battle it out for the nickel corner spot. Do we keep Smoot, Tryon or other?

I see Tryon on the way out, he looked really bad last year.

Safeties - How many are the Skins going to keep? This depends also on the number of CBs. Is Moore good enough to beat out Reed Doughty? Both play special teams.

Doughty might have the upper hand here, but if his back shows any lingering problem,s he may well be out.

OL - Chad Rinehart or Devon Clark? Skins have signed a slew of OLmen of unknown ability. IF Williams makes the team then the question is whether Jansen stays as a C/OT backup. If they keep him for his experience then one of these rookies is likely on the bubble. But do the Skins have anyone to back-up LT? Heyer can't cut it at LT and is a pure RT (possibly only a backup). If he's not flexible to play multiple positions as a backup he's a liability to the team given the limited positions allocated to the OL.

Actually Heyer is better suited for LT that RT. When he's has to play LT (when Samuels we down his rookie year) he played pretty well. It's against the larger DE's that he has problems, not so much the speed rushers. He has good feet and very long arms and handles smaller guys better. Against larger DE's he tends to out-physicalled and gets out-leveraged. And again, it's in run blocking that has been suspect, not his pass blocking. So, basicaly everything you said about Heyer is wrong. Not to mention he is the best RT we have at the moment.

Jansen needs to be able to play Center, or he may not have a real place on the team. As it is the only thing keeping him I think is that fact that his contract is so huge we cant cut him. Anyways, I think that Rinehart will be backing up both guard positions.

Wynn and Daniels are old and getting older. I'd cut Wynn and keep Jackson, considering how much Wynn is likely to play. Someone mentioned that Moore may be good enough to move to FS, allowing Landry to move back to SS; and that Horton is a keeper (at SS). So who doesn't start? Jansen playing C? What?

Doughty might have the upper hand here, but if his back shows any lingering problem,s he may well be out.

Actually Heyer is better suited for LT that RT. When he's has to play LT (when Samuels we down his rookie year) he played pretty well. It's against the larger DE's that he has problems, not so much the speed rushers. He has good feet and very long arms and handles smaller guys better. Against larger DE's he tends to out-physicalled and gets out-leveraged. And again, it's in run blocking that has been suspect, not his pass blocking. So, basicaly everything you said about Heyer is wrong. Not to mention he is the best RT we have at the moment.

Jansen needs to be able to play Center, or he may not have a real place on the team. As it is the only thing keeping him I think is that fact that his contract is so huge we cant cut him. Anyways, I think that Rinehart will be backing up both guard positions.

As for Doughty/Moore, I think they both make the squad. They are both valuable on ST and Moore has always been praised by the coaches for his athleticism and how he seems to make big plays in practice - although he got absolutely reemed for the end of the Rams game.

On the O-line, yeah, I think Jansen would have a 50/50 chance at best of staying or still bein here if not for his contract. You are right about Heyer. I believe Clark and Rinehart are both keepers because the coaches and Vinny keep mentioning them and how they expect big things from them. I think Batiste is someone they've mentioned a lot well but is destined for the PS this season. As for all the others, they are all guys we've signed for camp to let compete for the RT spot. It's Heyer's job to lose imo, but I would bet it is an open competition and the team is hoping for someone to really step up and maybe even be more worthy of starting than Heyer. I give that a very very small chance of happening, but if it did, since we cannot cut Jansen, it is going to come down to a numbers game and we'll see how many linemen they keep. The 5 starters plus Jansen and Rinehart are locks, so that is 7. That's very tight competition for guys like Edwin Williams, Mike Williams, Bridges (I would assume they're looking at him as a tackle despite him last playing guard for the Panthers), et al. I'm sure Edwin Williams will end up on the PS, although that makes me sad because I'd be surprised if someone didn't snatch him up onto their roster and it could be tough to get him back.

I think Buzbee will be gone before Jackson. Daniels and Wynn cancel out Evans and Jason Taylor. Haynesworth counts as a DT and Orakpo could count as a LB.

Tryon could be on the block, Barnes is a much bigger body and you don't draft DBs in the first four rounds with the mindset that you'd be happy if they can just make a contribution on special teams. They have to show you something that they can make a play on defense.

I think safeties are fine. Doughty is a strong safety and Moore can be a free safety, with both of them being the backups to Landry and Horton.

I think Rinehart is fine, the cuts on the O-line will come from the guys brought up from the practice squad last year.

Wynn would be cut before Rob Jackson.

Barnes is better than Tryon, and might be better than Smoot.

:2cents:

Agree with you 100% on the first one. Barnes may definitely have more potential than Smoot, but there's no way he's better right now. It's hard to know exactly what's going on and everything, but drawing a picture from Terl's blogs, it seemed like after every single point where he said a receiver would haul in a deep pass or make a big play it would end with (comma) with Barnes in coverage. I could be way off - it's not like I was at any of the practices. But that was discouraging.

Jackson is probably headed to the practice squad. I'm thinking we'll have 5 CBs on the 53 man roster, so Tryon probably gets another year...though I wouldn't mind seeing him go to the practice squad as well. Everyone else gets at least one more year, I imagine. Rinehart is probably the most vulnerable now.

I wouldn't be shocked if Malcolm Kelly is cut. If he gets knicked again in camp, or even makes it to camp then I think the team will be better of with one of these walk-ons than him.

No way.

Saving face trumps realism. There is no way Kelly or any of the high picks from last year are gone.

Wanna bet?

One not mentioned- MALCOLM KELLY. With what I'm reading, some of the WR's at camp are impressing. So if Kelly isn't good to go at 100%, I see no reason to keep him simply because hes a 2nd rounder. We'll see if Hackett, Eloi, or Marko can step up.

Thats my train of thought as well. Kelly may turn out to be a huuuuuge bust.

Archived