Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Last Years Draft Picks be Cut?

PlayAction

Agree with you 100% on the first one. Barnes may definitely have more potential than Smoot, but there's no way he's better right now. It's hard to know exactly what's going on and everything, but drawing a picture from Terl's blogs, it seemed like after every single point where he said a receiver would haul in a deep pass or make a big play it would end with (comma) with Barnes in coverage. I could be way off - it's not like I was at any of the practices. But that was discouraging.

It shouldn't be.

Barnes is a rookie, and after hearing some of his words before mini-camp, had a little bit of a chip on his shoulder.

I doubt the coaches are going to give up on Barnes b/c he got schooled at his first mini-camp.

A schooling they probably set-up to humble him a little. :)

Thats my train of thought as well. Kelly may turn out to be a huuuuuge bust.

Kelly isn't going anywhere.

His doctors have already said his knee issue wasn't chronic (more probably the result of trying to rush back too quick), and should fully heal.

He didn't do much at this mini-camp by the coaches decision (much like Samuels and Randy Thomas).

Only a bad injury would spell his exit from the team. Not impatient fans. :)

Can the Skins put a player with one year roster experience on the practice squad? If not, how many of the rookies do you think will be expendable this season?

as far as im aware from what i looked up from the nfl rules while setting up a practice squad for a dynasty league...a player, both a rookie and young veteran, can go on the PS. they just cant be on a PS for more than three seasons.

now i dont know what the age/experience limit is for a 'young veteran'. but i would assume that you cant go and put a 5th year player on a PS. i would figure it would be 3rd year players and under since the cap is being on a PS for three seasons.

Jackson is probably headed to the practice squad. I'm thinking we'll have 5 CBs on the 53 man roster, so Tryon probably gets another year...though I wouldn't mind seeing him go to the practice squad as well. Everyone else gets at least one more year, I imagine. Rinehart is probably the most vulnerable now.

Rinehart? Hell, no. Even with the addition of Dockery, Rinehart's the best interior linemen we have.

Cornerback: Of course we're going to keep 5 CBs on the roster. Most rosters have 5 WRs...and you know how injury-prone the CB position is. Rogers, Hall, Smoot, Barnes, Tryon. I think we have to keep both Barnes and Tryon or cut them outright. I'm a little bit leery about putting a young corner on the PS, because they have the tendency to get yanked. Example, Matteral Richardson from last year.

Safeties: we keep four. Landry and Horton as the starters (and I have the feeling you could switch these guys around on packages because of their skillsets), Doughty and Moore as backups. Even when Doughty hasn't started, he's been an absolute menace on special teams. I remember that from his rookie year.

Linebackers. This is where it could be complicated. Obviously, Rocky and Fletch are sticking around. Orakpo's going to be classified as a DE - they gave him 98, which is predominantly a DE's number. I think the strong-side linebacker goes on a rotational basis between Wilson, Orakpo, and maybe even that Robert Thomas guy they brought in earlier.

Defensive Line. There doesn't seem to be any room at the inn for Buzbee, so I think he's gone. The other guy I think is in trouble is Renaldo Wynn. Daniels gives you the capability of moving inside and being a rushing DT on 3rd downs. Chris Wilson is a very good rotational pass rusher. Jackson is young and developing. As for the DT, obviously, it's Haynesworth, Griffin, Golston, and Montgomery - a very good 4-man rotation full of experienced guys who have played before. Anybody currently below them on the depth chart (if there is anyone) is likely to get cut.

Offensive Line. Everything from LT to C is fine. Samuels, Dockery, and Rabach. If you wanted to reunite the old guard, you could go Thomas and Jansen on the right side...but it seems like a lot of roster moves were made for nearly the sole purpose of seeing whether somebody could demote Jansen to backup. Chad Rinehart is NOT in trouble - in fact, with a very good minicamp, you could see him closer and closer to yanking Randy Thomas' job. He's the next guy out on the field if either Dock or Thomas get hurt, at the very least. Mike Williams is a slight longshot, but we probably keep four tackles anyway.

WR. It gets interesting here, too. Santana Moss and ARE are sticking around, obviously. They don't have any reason to cut Thomas, either. The two guys I think are in trouble are Thrash and possibly Malcolm Kelly. Thrash, as much as I love the guy, is just getting to that age where it's time for him to ride off into the sunset. The only thing that sucks is that he can still produce and would likely be signed by a team needing depth at the position. As for Kelly, if his knee decides to give up on him, I think the front office will too. There's a lot of competition that's being brought in, and I think it's more directed toward him as motivation to stay healthy. Thomas actually produced on the field in a very small way last year, and he looked excellent before the hammie strain last weekend, so I think he's slightly protected and, once he gets healthy, has a legit shot to win a starting job. Kelly could find himself ousted by Marko Mitchell, a guy with a very similar build that just happened to play for a smaller school. As much as it sounds cool having a 6'8" or 6'6" guy at receiver, Eloi's a bit raw and Breaux just simply doesn't have the bulk to sustain NFL-level hits. Imagine if he takes a shot from some safety over the middle. With that frame, the guy would break in half.

RB: Portis and Betts one and two and after that, it gets interesting. I think, for the first time, Cartwright might be in legitimate danger from Dorsey or Alridge - maybe even Mason, if he's proven to have improved his ST game.

FB: Sellers all the way - maybe Edwin Williams sneaks in as a PS guy, but there's no reason to keep two FBs on the active roster when you need slots open at other positions.

TE: Cooley and Davis, at least. Where Yoder might be in trouble is not from another TE, but if the team decides it wants to take an extra lineman or keep 6 wideouts on the active roster - or take Dorsey, Alridge, or Mason without cutting Cartwright.

QB: Campbell, Collins, Brennan. Brennan is being groomed, as of now, to be the backup to either Campbell or a 2010 draft pick once Collins retires. Daniel's good, but he's not going to knock off Brennan or Collins. He'll probably be on the shortlist for PS pickups or a free agent re-signing if there's an injury at the position.

K: Suisham didn't have a great year, but I'm not sure you'd gain anything by bringing in the other guy.

P: No idea.

KR: Since there are normally two in the formation, I think Cartwright is relatively safe for another season. The second guy is anyone's guess. If I had to have Randle El as a return man, I'd probably put him here as opposed to returning punts. And then there's always Dorsey and Alridge.

PR: ARE needs to be replaced. I just don't know who would do it.

Jackson and Tryon would be the first.

Moore is solid and many seem to think he could start at FS while Landry would be able to move back to his natural SS position.

Horton obviously has earned himself a starting role.

I agree on Jackson and Tryon, but WHY does everyone keep saying Landry's natural position is SS? He made a name for himself in college playing FS, we were playing him in his "unnatural" position when we drafted him.

I say "unnatural" in quotes cause really both S positions are natural for guys like Landry.

Rinehart? Hell, no. Even with the addition of Dockery, Rinehart's the best interior linemen we have.

What in the world has Rinehart shown for you to make such a statement? He wasn't active for all but about 2 games.

As far as I'm concerned, Dockery, Kendall when he was here, Thomas, and Jason Fabini are all better than Rinehart at this point.

I wouldn't be shocked if Malcolm Kelly is cut. If he gets knicked again in camp, or even makes it to camp then I think the team will be better of with one of these walk-ons than him.

That would be a horrible knee-jerk reaction (no pun intended;)). I don't see it happening at all.

If he's injured, put him on the PUP list. You have to give a player more than a year to see what he's all about.

What in the world has Rinehart shown for you to make such a statement? He wasn't active for all but about 2 games.

As far as I'm concerned, Dockery, Kendall when he was here, Thomas, and Jason Fabini are all better than Rinehart at this point.

I flubbed that one, actually. I meant to say that he's the best backup we have on the interior. Fabini got the job, however, because of his versatility and experience. Rinehart's got infinitely more upside, and is a guy I could see sliding into a starting role down the road. So we don't cut him.

We bring lose Springs and gain Barnes, not sure why we'd be likely to cut Tryon?

We lost Taylor and Evans, and gained Haynesworth, Wynn and Orakpo. Either Orakpo or Wilson (or both) might be listed as SLB as others have mentioned. Orakpo in particular seems to directly fill the void left by Washington.

The O-line is where i'm uncertain about roster changes, but my guess is Bridges or Heyer start RT with with the other one backing up both tackle spots. Jansen is sort of emergency RT and backup center, Rhino backs up LG or RG, or both, and then we figure out another guard backup as well. I say I'm uncertain because - to the best of my knowledge we lost Fabini, Geisinger and Kendall, and gained Dockery and Bridges. I'm also uncertain as to how many o-line we carry and where Alexander fits in all of this.

-- I kind of wish we could afford to drop Jansen and pick up a C/G (if Mike Williams works out) or use Edwin Williams as backup C and pickup a G/T backup like Fabini.

I sure hope we don't lose Samuels and that Jansen plays with a chip on his shoulder if he is needed to play.

My real point in this rambling is that I think all last year's picks are fine, Jackson is the only one I could see getting edged out by someone like Buzbee, but not from anyone new we've brought in.

If he's injured, put him on the PUP list. You have to give a player more than a year to see what he's all about.

If he can't help the team then they are better off with one of these walk-on guys because at least they can suit up on Sunday.

Kelly was a wasted pick. The Skins could have drafted a ham sandwich that would have accomplished more.

If he can't help the team then they are better off with one of these walk-on guys because at least they can suit up on Sunday.

Kelly was a wasted pick. The Skins could have drafted a ham sandwich that would have accomplished more.

Keenan McCardell.

If Barnes is not better than Tryon than that was a colossal waste of a pick as Tryon isn't really that good himself.

huh?

The team drafted a cb for the future, not for this season. He might see time in dime packages and special teams this upcoming season. I just dont' see how people can judge a draft pick after one season.

Kelly isn't going anywhere.

His doctors have already said his knee issue wasn't chronic (more probably the result of trying to rush back too quick), and should fully heal.

He didn't do much at this mini-camp by the coaches decision (much like Samuels and Randy Thomas).

Only a bad injury would spell his exit from the team. Not impatient fans. :)

That's fine but look at his history.

Red Flag on his knee going into the draft.

Knee problems throughout the season.

We kept hearing "he's close" week after week after week and yet he never played.

Even if he is cleared to play, how long until his knee issues flare up yet again and cause him to miss time?

I'd be reluctant to cut him too. He's the much more intriguing prospect than Thomas. But if his knee starts acting up during the OTAs and certainly during training camp, I think it will be time to cut our losses and hope that one of these CFAs pan out and can produce at least on special teams.

"Defensive Line. There doesn't seem to be any room at the inn for Buzbee, so I think he's gone. The other guy I think is in trouble is Renaldo Wynn. Daniels gives you the capability of moving inside and being a rushing DT on 3rd downs. Chris Wilson is a very good rotational pass rusher. Jackson is young and developing. As for the DT, obviously, it's Haynesworth, Griffin, Golston, and Montgomery - a very good 4-man rotation full of experienced guys who have played before. Anybody currently below them on the depth chart (if there is anyone) is likely to get cut."

What about Lorenzo Alexander? He can play DE and penetrating DT on pass rushing downs when paired with Haynesworth. He plays special teams. Any player that makes the roster as a backup needs to be versatile IMO. If Wilson can convince coaches that he can be at least a backup SLB then I think he's safe. Jackson was signed as a pure pass rusher - I think he's the odd man out. If possible he could go on the practice squad. I agree that Wynn may only last through preseason. I don't know about Buzbee.

The only draft pick I think is in danger of being cut is Jackson. It is going to be pretty tough competition at DE this year and I could see him on the outside looking in, particularly since he's still eligible for the practice squad.

Tryon I don't think is in much danger. Who is his competition? Byron Westbrook? Doug Dutch? Not that much competition. Tryon would have to play his way off of this team.

You have to LOL at this thread. The only reason we would cut any of these young players is if they fall prey to the numbers game. If the Skins need a roster spot then maybe....None of these draft picks are costing this team big $$$$ at this point. It would be pointless to let them go in just their 2nd season.

Looking at next years salary cap hits some bigger name contracts will be on the cutting block like:

Jansen (which is why we need to address RT)

Smoot (which is why we addressed CB in the 3rd)

Rabach (will probably restructure)

Collins

Betts

CP

Moss

If Barnes is not better than Tryon than that was a colossal waste of a pick as Tryon isn't really that good himself.

And you have made that decision based on a couple of rookie year pre-season snaps? You should be a scout.

Archived