Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who Would've Been YOUR 1st Round Pick?

spyder7

Let's rewind and propose a dream scenario: The Dan decides to finally fire Vinny and further recuse himself from all personnel-related decisions. Zorn, being the nice guy that he is, has indicated that he will support you as the new GM in Washington, entrusted with final say at the 2009 NFL draft. Who will you pick at 13th overall? If you were in charge and had to do it all over again, would you also take Orakpo, or would you have different plans? Explain.

I'm much happier about our selections now than I was previously. I was hoping that we would have picked up Alex Boone however in the 7th or UFA. I think VC did a decent job with what we had to work with at the time. I think we have picked up some good natural athletes that may be raw but could prove to be productive players for us in the future.

1st. Orakpo - no brainer and smart selection.

I think virtually all of us would have picked Orakpo (Value and need). That said we'd have parted company with Vinny's picks in the later rounds. I'd have traded the 3rd for a future 2d (There were trading partners out there). Definately would have drafted Meredith in the 5th.

Orakpo hands down if it was the same scenario, if we were at #13 no big OT's on the board or orakpo, I'd trade down and land all second rounders and pick up some mean talent at Center/LB/End/RT/RG(cough robinson)

edit : not saying 5 second rounders, but I'd draft more depth, and prob not barnes in the 3rd and DEF NOT the linebacks in the 5th.

No telling what kinds of trade opportunities might have been available, or not, so I don't see how anybody can really say "I would have traded down." All we know is what players were available when we picked at #13, and Orakpo was a no-brainer.... so if I were the GM I would have done the same exact thing our clueless FO did.

I would have taken Oher. We really need O-line help. Defense was good last year. Orakpo looks to be a monster (hopefully). We needed a pass rusher, but think O-line help was the biggest need. Last year, we struggled so badly on Offense, it just wasn't funny.

Archived