Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who Would've Been YOUR 1st Round Pick?

spyder7

There were good prospects on the board for a while, and I think sitting at 13 was not wise, given the serious questions at OLB and offensive tackle.

I would have traded down. It's certainly a risk, but I would have dropped into the 20s to pick up a 2nd round pick, and looked for Oher, English, or Clay Matthews in the first.

If I got Oher in the first, then Laurinaitis or Sintim in the 2nd; if I got English or Matthews in the 1st, then Max Unger in the early-mid 2nd (He was 17th pick of the 2nd round. Curse you, Vinnie Cerrato and Jason Taylor!)

Personally, I thought the addition of a new, stout DT would have us looking more at the LB position than the DE position, but I DO understand what luck that was to have Orakpo drop; I thought that SF or Denver would take him.

I totally agree with the Orakpo pick, I just wished we would have picked up Marcus Freeman instead of Cody Glenn in the 5th round. Marko Mitchell was a steal. Trading our 3rd and one of our 7th-rounders for a 2nd-rounder next year would have also been an option.

Just because he was drafted higher doesn't make him the better player.

I wouldn't change a thing the Skins did in the first round. I've long said that Orakpo was the only DE I would draft at #13 and I would have drafted him. If he wasn't there, maybe I would have dropped back depending on who was there. I don't think Oher would have been worth picking there and I could drop back and still could have gotten him or Eben Britton.

Well, the draft order is in fact what I was going by.... for better or worse. And also the Bills picked Maybin at #11. So there's two NFL teams that disagree with Orakpo. OTOH, Sports Illustrated agrees with you about Orakpo. I'm hoping you're right, but in hindsight how other teams pick carries a lot of weight to me.

Britton looks like a good pick too, the Jags had to be looking at O-Line hard this draft, and they picked him pretty high in rd 2.........

According to who? He may end up being the best DE but then anyone could. He's going to play the 5 technique, so he isn't all that comparable anyway.

A lot of experts said he is closer to Marcus Spears than Richard Seymour, and Mayock said that Robert Ayers was the best defensive end in the class.

I'd have taken Ayers or Orakpo every day of the week over Tyson Jackson.

Orakpo was the third DE taken this draft. Ayers was 4th, after the Chiefs, Bills, and Skins had their chance to get Ayers,and drafted a different DE instead. And maybe we should have taken an OLB anyways, given where Orakpo's playing now?

In the first round, Orakpo or Raji were the two I wanted the most.

Yes, we do need help on the o-line, but lets not forget they were not the worst line in the NFL either. They were decent ... and, unfortunately, they get blamed for the all of the poor QB play. That's just not the case.

Archived