Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sonny Said it Best: Per ESPN 980!

JeepRyder

I havent seen this posted so sorry if I missed it but Sonny was on ESPN 980 talking about the whole Campbell thing with Cutler and Sanchez and Campbell supposedly asking for a trade if we had gotten Sanchez (rumor which campbell has since denied). Sonny said Campbell should just say bring it on to the front office basically. Bring whoever u want in here but they wont beat me out for my job. He said thats the mentality you want your starting QB to have, not one who wants to be traded if their is competition. And to Jasons defense I think he has been doing that. He has been showing up everyday through the whole thing working out and getting ready. But I liked Sonnys thoughts on that, that Campbell shouldn't let it get to him and just come in this season and shut everybody up. And Im definitely one that thinks Campbell will on fire this season.

Your dreaming if you think any of this will provide motivation for JC, If a QB is not motivated by his own passion your not going to be able to manufacture it, it's not in his nature becuase he doesn't have the ability on the field and he knows it. To start trying to motivate others and get in their grills to be better, when you yourself can't perform is a serious problem, and that is what JC has to deal with. Motivation cannot over come his personal lack of talent!

Course, Colt was fortunte that the receiver helped him out. Had the receiver not adjusted, it would have been 6 the other direction.

IF IF IF. But the fact is he made the play. JC has to give his players a chance to make a play!! Colt did that. That pass took less then 2 seconds!!! JC has to do this to, that's all I'm saying. Cool way to beat the BLITZ, and make them pay for that crap.

There endeth the lesson!!!!! Oh ya this is how you hit a WR in stride!!!

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Sounds like excuse-making to me. It usually takes about 4 games to figure out what a guy is doing. No doubt that Collins knew Saunders' system like the back of his hand. He should for as much as he was in it. But, I doubt that Collins holds up that well over the long-term.

Oh yeah, his first loss and he's figured out. The only reason you can say that with a straight face is that you'll never have to prove it. If Gibbs and co had stayed, Collins should have been the starter for '08.

It really wouldn't have been all within his power. You don't bring in a rookie to have him languish on the bench for years. So' date=' if Sanchez had come in, Jason would have to know that his leash was incredibly short because the team had a huge investment in the rookie and none in him.

And, yes, I believe that ALL players are aware of the business side of things now.[/quote'] And what is wrong with that? Are you seriously saying that JC shouldn't have to worry about his job, that he shouldn't be looking over his shoulder?

That, my friends, is why the Redskins have been mediocre for so long. No one earned the right to be automatically a starter on this team. Not Cooley, not moss, not Jansen, not Samuels, not even Haynesworth. IF someone steps up and gives us a better option, regardless of their tenure, regardless of their salary, THEY SHOULD BE STARTING AT THEIR SAID POSITION!!!

Jason has not had to earn a damn thing since he came here. IF he is too much of a ***** to compete for a job, which he should have been doing all along, than get him the **** out of here. I am sick and tired of all this bull**** when it comes to this team. NO ONE is owed anything as far as playing time. Earn it, or sit your ass on the bench.

RedAlert- I really liked your post. NFL does stand for Not for Long. Also if I was Campbell I would pick Sonny Jurgensen's brain about how to play quarterback, what to look for with his reads on certain plays, etc. etc. Why not talk to a Hall of Famer? Jurgensen always was coming from behind because in his day we did not have a great defense. But Sonny was fearless. Sonny is right that Campbell should have told the front office- "I don't care who you bring in to compete with me because no one will beat me out for the starting job." JC is almost too laid back and casual for the job. His temperament is different. I wish Sonny and Billy Kilmer would take him out for a drink and toughen up the kid.

Two things for me:

One, Even if Campbell did give the FO the proverbial middle finger and came in with the attitude that he is the starter, what makes anyone think that the Skins have a trustworthy staff that will make the right decision there? They were 8-8 last year and had one of the worst offenses in the league.

Many argue that CB should have gotten a shot last year (I'm not one of those people BTW), so I'm not sure that Campbell's drive and determination would have mattered had Cutler or Sanchez been here or will matter currently . It's up to Danny and how he feels about Campbell. He will drive the decision process and monitor the Campbell situation all year IMO.

Secondly, Campbell may have a killer year, and then he may shop his option to go to another team. That would be awesome :rolleyes: After all the ****ing around, that's what the Skins FO and coaches deserve. I hope Campbell lights it up this year, boosts his market value immensely, and the Skins have to pay the man a **** load. They would make me smile :) Go get 'em Jason :evilg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka27l22htlk&feature=related

so when your line breaks down this is what you do!!!!! It takes our qb less then 2 seconds to make this pass, that means is release is less then a second. That's quick!!! But this is how its done, listen to the broadcasters they have it pegged!!! If jason makes these passes where all good!!!

the biggest knock on our tiny wide receivers is their failure to get off of the line why dont you go to a game once in awhile

Any other business if they brought someone in to compete for a job the one who says "I'll take my briefcase and go home" would be helped out the door.

What the heck are you talking about? Give an example in the business world where a company will bring in a person and have that person compete against another person who already has the job. That's freaking nonsense dude. You might train a replacement, but that's not what you are talking about. What a terrible example.

RedAlert- I really liked your post. NFL does stand for Not for Long. Also if I was Campbell I would pick Sonny Jurgensen's brain about how to play quarterback, what to look for with his reads on certain plays, etc. etc. Why not talk to a Hall of Famer? Jurgensen always was coming from behind because in his day we did not have a great defense. But Sonny was fearless. Sonny is right that Campbell should have told the front office- "I don't care who you bring in to compete with me because no one will beat me out for the starting job." JC is almost too laid back and casual for the job. His temperament is different. I wish Sonny and Billy Kilmer would take him out for a drink and toughen up the kid.

All of your points are right on and appreciated. Something the fans in their 20's and younger also need to realize is SONNY NEVER HAD GREAT LINES protecting him. They were all average at best. The man had a quick release and could slice and dice a defense (he could quickly read the D). Hence, and the blaming the offensive line is BULL....at some point you need to wake up and get rid of the ball......and to a guy who is PAST the first down marker.

AAARedskin- I remember like you do that Sonny had no protection to speak of and he would throw it up for Taylor and Mitchell to grab. He would find Jerry Smith over the middle. We could be behind 3 or 4 touchdowns in a game and Sonny would never give up and sometimes he could pull out the win. I remember that 70 point game too. JC needs to be a leader now and step up. He needs to get first downs like you said and throw the long bomb when it is there. I think there are some differences in observations between the younger generation and our generation for sure. Both generations are very passionate about their Redskins which is good. You know it has to be tough on the former Skins players who want these Redskins to do well but right now only have the victories of the past to talk about right now.

AAARedskin- I remember like you do that Sonny had no protection to speak of and he would throw it up for Taylor and Mitchell to grab.

So, which receiver on our roster would you be comfortable with Jason Campbell throwing it up for grabs with?

OK, but if Campbell had played great last year or in 2007 or in 2006 then we wouldn't have considered bringing in Sanchez.

Well, the interesting thing is that Jason Campbell is now the guy who has the same system for 2 years in a row under his belt and Sanchez is the guy coming into something brand new.

So lets see how well Sanchez performs this season while Jason is the guy who is in an established season. Same goes for Cutler and Orton as well.

Both of those guys have to start over with new players in a new system with new coaches....JUST like Jason did last year. So why don't we all meet back here in about 8 months for an "I told you so" party.:logo:

If the Redskins win the Super Bowl, the starting QB in the Super Bowl gets the key to the city, designation as the Redskins QB for the rest of the decade, and more money. It could be anybody, even Alfred E. Neuman.

"What me worry?" Jason Campbell, circa 2009

Well, the interesting thing is that Jason Campbell is now the guy who has the same system for 2 years in a row under his belt and Sanchez is the guy coming into something brand new.

So lets see how well Sanchez performs this season while Jason is the guy who is in an established season. Same goes for Cutler and Orton as well.

Both of those guys have to start over with new players in a new system with new coaches....JUST like Jason did last year. So why don't we all meet back here in about 8 months for an "I told you so" party.:logo:

I'm behind JC as much as the next guy, but we all saw other certain rookie QB's come into not only new systems but the NFL in it's entirety and not have such slow learning curves. I really really hope JC lights it up this season, and proves to everyone he can be our QB.

Sonny is off the mark....more than anything JC has to demonstrate one quality that separates the proverbial wheat from the NFL chaff: leadership on the field. That is the one thing, above all else, that Campbell seems least prepared to do. You can see it in his body language (or lack thereof) and you can see it in the results. he just doesn't have that "it" quality that great QBs have to put a team on his shoulders and will it to victory. he's a capable QB who will never be a great QB. the difference maker is gonna have to come from elsewhere on that offense.

All of your points are right on and appreciated. Something the fans in their 20's and younger also need to realize is SONNY NEVER HAD GREAT LINES protecting him. They were all average at best. The man had a quick release and could slice and dice a defense (he could quickly read the D). Hence, and the blaming the offensive line is BULL....at some point you need to wake up and get rid of the ball......and to a guy who is PAST the first down marker.

He also had the likes of Charlie Taylor, Bobby Mitchell, Roy Jefferson, Jerry Smith and Larry Brown helping him out. That was some pretty nice fire power he had at his disposal!

Sonny is off the mark....more than anything JC has to demonstrate one quality that separates the proverbial wheat from the NFL chaff: leadership on the field. That is the one thing, above all else, that Campbell seems least prepared to do. You can see it in his body language (or lack thereof) and you can see it in the results. he just doesn't have that "it" quality that great QBs have to put a team on his shoulders and will it to victory. he's a capable QB who will never be a great QB. the difference maker is gonna have to come from elsewhere on that offense.

Agreed. I'm pretty strongly for Campbell being our guy this year, but he DOES lack that Manning-esque "Believe in me!" attitude.

He also had the likes of Charlie Taylor, Bobby Mitchell, Roy Jefferson, Jerry Smith and Larry Brown helping him out. That was some pretty nice fire power he had at his disposal!

Psh, facts? Irrelevant.

So, which receiver on our roster would you be comfortable with Jason Campbell throwing it up for grabs with?

Probably right now he would have to hit Moss and Cooley on long patterns. I will always remember that throw he hit Moss with that beat the Cowboys in the 4th quarter on Monday Night football. But the defense can double Moss and Cooley so we obviously need another long ball threat this year.

I havent seen this posted so sorry if I missed it but Sonny was on ESPN 980 talking about the whole Campbell thing with Cutler and Sanchez and Campbell supposedly asking for a trade if we had gotten Sanchez (rumor which campbell has since denied). Sonny said Campbell should just say bring it on to the front office basically. Bring whoever u want in here but they wont beat me out for my job. He said thats the mentality you want your starting QB to have, not one who wants to be traded if their is competition. And to Jasons defense I think he has been doing that. He has been showing up everyday through the whole thing working out and getting ready. But I liked Sonnys thoughts on that, that Campbell shouldn't let it get to him and just come in this season and shut everybody up. And Im definitely one that thinks Campbell will on fire this season.

Yeah bringing kilmer in helped him out

Archived