Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sonny Said it Best: Per ESPN 980!

JeepRyder

I havent seen this posted so sorry if I missed it but Sonny was on ESPN 980 talking about the whole Campbell thing with Cutler and Sanchez and Campbell supposedly asking for a trade if we had gotten Sanchez (rumor which campbell has since denied). Sonny said Campbell should just say bring it on to the front office basically. Bring whoever u want in here but they wont beat me out for my job. He said thats the mentality you want your starting QB to have, not one who wants to be traded if their is competition. And to Jasons defense I think he has been doing that. He has been showing up everyday through the whole thing working out and getting ready. But I liked Sonnys thoughts on that, that Campbell shouldn't let it get to him and just come in this season and shut everybody up. And Im definitely one that thinks Campbell will on fire this season.

From a pure football standpoint, Sonny is absolutely correct. And when Sonny played, the team owned you forever. And it didn't really matter, because you weren't going to make any money anywhere else anyway.

So...you could bring in Kilmer or even a young Theismann and just go at...may the best man win...and all that jazz.

From a football standpoint, Jason should welcome competition.

But, the kicker today is the business side.

Jason is on the last year of a contract, and he knows it. If he somehow ended up on the bench here, he was losing the opportunity to audition for a contract next year. And knowing that the team would have a huge interest in playing the kid and not him, he knew that he would be going into an open competition with a huge black mark against him.

So, knowing that a fair competition would not be fair and could end up costing him millions of dollars, he would be crazy not to demand a trade if Sanchez came in.

But Sanchez didn't, the job is his, and the audidion is his alone.

So...good times.

I agree with that. This isn't a knitting circle, it's a football team. It's incumbent on our coaches and front office to put the best possible players on the field. If he wants to guarantee that will include him, it's all within his power.

It really wouldn't have been all within his power. You don't bring in a rookie to have him languish on the bench for years. So, if Sanchez had come in, Jason would have to know that his leash was incredibly short because the team had a huge investment in the rookie and none in him.

And, yes, I believe that ALL players are aware of the business side of things now.

Nah Sonny was right, but like you stated earlier Campbell has been working hard every day and as long as our recievers can get on the field I think Campbell will be ok. If your going to put your all out their for a contract, then there is no need for you to be a starting quaterback in the NFL

Jason is on the last year of a contract' date=' and he knows it. If he somehow ended up on the bench here, he was losing the opportunity to audition for a contract next year. And knowing that the team would have a huge interest in playing the kid and not him, he knew that he would be going into an open competition with a huge black mark against him.

So, knowing that a fair competition would not be fair and could end up costing him millions of dollars, he would be crazy not to demand a trade if Sanchez came in.

But Sanchez didn't, the job is his, and the audidion is his alone.

So...good times.[/quote']

If Campbell was riding the bench, it is because he wasn't as good as he thought he is. To be honest, even if we had drafted Sanchez, it was still Campbell's job to lose. He's the incumbant with a good deal of NFL experience. If he can't beat out a rookie, he doesn't deserve the job.

Course, we don't even know if he was going to ask for a trade. All we have is a rumor which Campbell isn't confirming.

It really wouldn't have been all within his power. You don't bring in a rookie to have him languish on the bench for years. So' date=' if Sanchez had come in, Jason would have to know that his leash was incredibly short because the team had a huge investment in the rookie and none in him.

And, yes, I believe that ALL players are aware of the business side of things now.[/quote']

OK, but if Campbell had played great last year or in 2007 or in 2006 then we wouldn't have considered bringing in Sanchez.

Also, like you said, business is business. Not everyone gets a shot a fulfilling a dream. I'm sure there are much better QBs than Campbell throughout NFL history who have languished behind other players on depth charts.

The fact is, no one on a football team (or in life) is owed anything. So, the fact that Campbell would be upset about not getting one last shot to earn a huge payday shouldn't weigh too heavily on anyone else's mind...

I havent seen this posted so sorry if I missed it but Sonny was on ESPN 980 talking about the whole Campbell thing with Cutler and Sanchez and Campbell supposedly asking for a trade if we had gotten Sanchez (rumor which campbell has since denied). Sonny said Campbell should just say bring it on to the front office basically. Bring whoever u want in here but they wont beat me out for my job. He said thats the mentality you want your starting QB to have, not one who wants to be traded if their is competition. And to Jasons defense I think he has been doing that. He has been showing up everyday through the whole thing working out and getting ready. But I liked Sonnys thoughts on that, that Campbell shouldn't let it get to him and just come in this season and shut everybody up. And Im definitely one that thinks Campbell will on fire this season.

Sonny J has been calling Jason a bum for over 16 games now.

Point is Sonny knows JC doesnt have it in him..... his comments are Rhetoric.

It really wouldn't have been all within his power. You don't bring in a rookie to have him languish on the bench for years. So' date=' if Sanchez had come in, Jason would have to know that his leash was incredibly short because the team had a huge investment in the rookie and none in him.[/quote']

And how is that different from his current situaiton? No matter what, this is likely Campbell's last chance to prove himself and be the guy here. Sanchez being here or not doesn't change that aspect of things.

My only issue with that statement is if someone else would of been brought in like Cutler, or Sanchez there wouldn't be a competition.

If the club is going to give up value in order to aquire someone then how is the "fight" possibly fair?

If Cutler or Sanchez were to have been brought in there wouldn't be a compeition. It simply would of been their job

How is Vince Young handling his situation in Tennessee? He's a #3 or #2 overall pick and isn't the starter on his team after losing his job to a fossil. At least Campbell still has the starting job. QB is a position where you have to make everyone around you better. The entire team depends on it. It is well within the organizations right to be looking to upgrade at any position on the team. I just don't like how much stuff gets leaked out of our front office.

This is nice to hear from a team icon. This isn't about replacing Jason because he's not an "ok" QB, but that he's not a GREAT QB. All this needs to be for Jason is a wake up call. I don't need to be good. I need to be great.

Everyone needs to stop all this worrying about feelings getting hurt. You don't think there are 30 guys at the end of camp whose feelings aren't hurt because they got cut?

At Fred Smoot's presser when he came back, he said it best - "There a lot of people who want my job. I can't let them take it."

At the end of the day, that's what Jason needs to say. (Hey that rhymed. Now let's go by the bay and eat some hay.)

I agree 100% but it's easier said than done. Obviously JC>Cutler when it comes to this dealing with this situation.

But Sonny also said if a team is playing healthy, with confidence and gets hot at the right time, they are going to win.

It would be nice at times if the FO can instill confidence in it's players at times by not drooling over every flashy FA/available player.

Jason has my support as our starting quarterback but I totally agree with Sonny! This is the NFL! I doubt Brady got upset when Cassel had a good season, I doubt Manning would freak out if the Colts went out and drafted a quarterback. The Chargers basically released Drew Brees in favor of Philip Rivers, and what did Brees do? He didn't pout and whine he signed with the Saints and he threw for over 5,000 yards last year last time I checked. The guys that whine or ask to be traded when the team brings in competition perhaps have insecurities in their abilities and their role on the team. If you deserve the starting role and without a doubt in your mind know that it is/will be yours then who cares? How can you really blame a franchise for wanting to bring in guys to make their team better? This is a business.

Jason has my support as our starting quarterback but I totally agree with Sonny! This is the NFL! I doubt Brady got upset when Cassel had a good season, I doubt Manning would freak out if the Colts went out and drafted a quarterback. The Chargers basically released Drew Brees in favor of Philip Rivers, and what did Brees do? He didn't pout and whine he signed with the Saints and he threw for over 5,000 yards last year last time I checked. The guys that whine or ask to be traded when the team brings in competition perhaps have insecurities in their abilities and their role on the team. If you deserve the starting role and without a doubt in your mind know that it is/will be yours then who cares? How can you really blame a franchise for wanting to bring in guys to make their team better? This is a business.

Couldn't have said it better.

I agree with Zhouse on that, but in order to maintain competition Jason must step his game up. I agree with Sonny's point that Campbell should take pride in his job and be competitive enough to keep it otherwise move out the way. I think Campbell will get good enough in the future, that is my hope anyways.

Excellent points, and Indy DID draft a QB this year.

Zhouse,

EXCEPT when it comes to the field.... Cutler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jason "just one more year please" Campbell.

That might be the case....we shall see how both of them perform next year.

But I still wouldn't support getting a QB that will cost us our future or the ability to fill another need. Just one more year with JC will answer a lot of questions.

Well from what we've already heard, Jason lacks assertiveness. So for him to approach the situation like that would kind of be awkward for him.

I honestly think thats what he should have said though. Tell them to bring who ever they want, because they can't beat him out of the job.

Archived