Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RotoWorld: Jets Waive Marcus Mason Should Skins Sign him?

Veretax

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Why would we want to sign a guy to see what they can do in the preseason.

The only logical explanation to sign a guy that you know you're going to cut anyways is to provide your actual players a rest period so they don't take such a beating over the course of preseason. We already have 5 backs on the preseason roster. And then on top of that a TE/FB, another FB and Sellers.

That's a ton of backs just to try a guy out for the preseason. We already know he's a stud in preseason, but he can't stay on anyone's real roster. That, to me, is telling of his abilities. Probably an outstanding candidate for the USFL or that other league with Fassel, though.

man I can see some people on this board would be upset if they said the same things about say for example, CB#5. There could be more than one reason he was let go. How about the fact they just drafted a RB?

Or perhaps they drafted a RB because they had no confidence in the ones that were on their roster?

For the record, I'm a fan of the team. Mason is not fast or elusive enough to play with the big dogs in the NFL, in my opinion. He's a great practice squad guy, though. And if preseason counted I'd put him on my team all day long.

Yeah, I'm sure Mason is a real hidden gem. When he's already been released by us once before because he couldn't understand what he was doing, he was released then by the Ravens, and now by the Jets.

Nothing against the guy, but there's absolutely nothing to say he's worth anything to us, or seemingly a lot of teams at the NFL level.

He was a long shot in the first place coming from Youngstown State, but he's had his chances at the pro level and obviously hasn't impressed too many people.

What else is left to say? No thanks, we dont need Mason.....RBs are a dime a dozen anyway. I wish him the best of luck though.

I'm just curious; those of you who are saying that Edrin James is done, what exactly are you basing your opinion on?

I'm not saying that I would want him on our team, but every time that I saw James run last season, he was running pretty darn good IMO. He split time with both Hightower and Arrington and still got 514 yards with only 133 carries for the season. His 3.9 avg. is a bit alarming.

I wouldnt mind us picking him up and dropping rock. Maybe he can be used to return kicks, he's younger and faster and has fresh legs and maybe he might do something that Rock doesn't know how to like maybe try to run around and by tacklers rather than a direct str8 line until you get hit. Even if we dont pick him up i want Rock gone he is a bum, so many teams have more athletically gifted, fast, elusive return men rather than a stout slow fullback style runner.

I think you definitely bring him back in for camp purposes and everything and at least let him compete - if he chooses to come here over somewhere else. I won't be upset if they don't though, we have quite a few RB's on the roster right now with Portis, Betts, Rock,

Aldridge, Williams, and the guy from the CFL.

Dej vu all over again.

Stop the mancrush on a marginal talent, please!

Edit: Rotoworld says it best.

Jets waived RB Marcus Mason.

Mason always looks good against third-stringers in preseason, but lacks the speed and moves to be more than a fourth tailback option/special teamer.

Does that include Jason "suck my thumb" Campbell? Sorry couldnt resist.

Mason > Cartright

:doh: I guess you didn't see Mason fumble that KR last year in preseason.

Marcus Mason will never play a down in the NFL outside of preseason. He has been cut from 3 teams for a reason.... He cant learn the playbooks. Get over you man crushes Marcus Mason is a bum...

I really did like Mason in Pre-Season and was surprised when he was cut. The Skins NEED young RB's desperately. Sure, Betts can fill in nicely and hell, even Rock had a few 100 yard games when given a shot. But honestly, both of the above mentioned players are aging, and mason only looks good so far in pre-season.

Who would you cut to add him? Think about that.

I don't think Mason is smart enough to play in the NFL... We all heard numerous reports of him missing assignments last preseason. If he was any good why has he been bouncing around from practice squad to practice squad? I dont think he can learn and memorize an NFL playbook...

At least he has been familiarized with our playbook. I don't see any harm in bringing him in and seeing if he's progressed enough to take Rock's spot on this roster.

Archived