Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What became of the draft picks the Redskins traded away?

freddy10

While we wait to see what happens in the 2009 Draft, I thought it might be a good time to reflect on what became of the picks we traded away in recent years. Here, as near as I can tell, are the draft picks we traded and the players selected with those the picks.

Give: Champ Bailey

Give: 2004 2nd Round (41) Tatum Bell

Get: Clinton Portis

Give: 2004 3rd Round (72) Donnell Washington

Get: Mark Brunell

Give: 2004 5th Round (139) Rodney Leisle

Give: 2005 2nd Round (40) Josh Bullocks

Get: 2004 3rd Round (81) Chris Cooley

Get: 2005 5th Round (151) Mark Wilson

Give: 2005 5th Round (140) Trent Cole

Get: James Thrash

Give: 2005 3rd Round (76) Karl Paymah

Give: 2006 1st Round (22) Manny Lawson

Give: 2006 4th Round (119) Brandon Marshall

Get: 2005 1st Round (25) Jason Campbell

Give 2005 4th Round (112) Ciatrick Fason

Get: 2005 4th Round (120) Manuel White

Get: 2005 5th Round (154) Robert McCune

Give: 2006 2nd Round (53) Anthony Fasano

Give: 2006 6th Round (189) Drew Coleman

Give: 2007 2nd Round (37) Eric Weddle

Get: 2006 2nd Round (35) Rocky McIntosh

Give: 2006 3rd Round (84) Brandon Williams

Give: 2007 4th Round (104) Jay Moore

Get: Brandon Lloyd

Give: 2007 3rd Round (70) Ryan Harris

Get: T.J. Duckett

Give: 2009 2nd Round (44) [????]

Get: Jason Taylor

Give: 2005 5th Round (140) Trent Cole

Get: James Thrash

Give: 2006 1st Round (22) Manny Lawson

Give: 2006 4th Round (119) Brandon Marshall

Give: 2006 2nd Round (53) Anthony Fasano

Give: 2007 2nd Round (37) Eric Weddle

Of those you mentioned, I'd like to have these back, or these players who those picks turned into.

Brandon Marshall is the only one that hurts to see.

Can't disagree with you on that, But we got Cooley because off those trades as well, so I guess you could say the team that gave us that pick lost out if you go in that direction

Very nice thread.

I would only like to add one thign to consider. In the case where we traded picks for a player, and then committed large salary cap resources to that player (i.e. Brunell and Lloyd) not only did we forego the drafted player, we also had to forgoe missing some other free agent that could have been signed with the salary cap savings.

This is a fantastic bit of work. I think you expose a bit of faulty logic on this board---more draft picks are always better. While it is always better to have more options, these picks dont always pan out like everyone hypes their value.

From what I see none of these picks, that were traded away, are pro bowlers year in and year out. What have they done? They have been solid contributors but nothing special. Most of them couldn't even start on the Raiders team. Trent Cole has been injured more times than on the field, same with Brandon Marshall, and Anthony Fasano isn't even considered a top 5 TE. So what is the big deal about everyone saying that we wasted our draft picks on any of the guys we traded for? From what I see the teams that we traded with didn't do much better with them.

Trent Cole has been injured more times than on the field, same with Brandon Marshall

Uhm? What?

Cole's and Marshall have both missed one game in their careers, with Marshall also missing one due to suspension.

If that's what you call injury prone, you must absolutely hate half the guys on this roster. lol

From what I see none of these picks, that were traded away, are pro bowlers year in and year out. What have they done? They have been solid contributors but nothing special. Most of them couldn't even start on the Raiders team. Trent Cole has been injured more times than on the field, same with Brandon Marshall, and Anthony Fasano isn't even considered a top 5 TE. So what is the big deal about everyone saying that we wasted our draft picks on any of the guys we traded for? From what I see the teams that we traded with didn't do much better with them.

Just because those teams used the picks on those players, doesn't mean the Skins would of had to draft the same ones.

The 2nd and 3rd rd in 2004, there were guys like Darnell Dockett, Nick Hardwick, Max Starks, Antwan Odom, Travis LaBoy and Randy Starks on the board. And people wonder why we have no depth on the OL and DL. Keep the picks and build depth. Yeah, you don't always hit on every player, but more picks means better odds you will.

Uhm? What?

Cole's and Marshall have both missed one game in their careers, with Marshall also missing one due to suspension.

If that's what you call injury prone, you must absolutely hate half the guys on this roster. lol

Marshall might not have missed game time, but he is what you'd call injury prone.

From wiki:

2006:

Before the regular season even began, Marshall suffered a slight tear to his PCL in a pre-season game against the Detroit Lions.

2007:

Marshall sustained injuries before the start of the 2007 season. He suffered a groin strain that kept him out of Broncos quarterback camp and team camp during May and June. He also pulled a quadriceps femoris muscle on July 10, 2007, during Broncos mini-camp.[9] The injury left him out for nearly all of training camp until Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan ordered him to participate for the last couple of days.[10]

2008:

On March 22, 2008, Marshall slipped on an empty McDonald's bag while wrestling with family members, and subsequently, fell through a television set at his home in Orlando, Florida - cutting his right forearm.[19][20][21] According to Broncos head athletic trainer Steve Antonopulos, Marshall "sustained right forearm lacerations to one artery, one vein, one nerve, two tendons and three muscles."[21] He was cleared in late-June to practice with the Broncos.

2009:

Marshall had hip surgery on March 31, 2009, to repair an aggravated hip that bothered him during the 2008 season.[38] His recovery time is expected to last until training camp in late-July.

By the way, Marshall had 20 rec, 309 yds, 2 TDs (incl a long 71 TD) his rookie year. Not necessarily predicting the amazing numbers that would come the following 2 years: 206 rec, 2590 yds, 13 TDs. Perhaps some more proof that not everyone can be declared a bust after one year for our young receivers...

Brandon Marshall is the only one that hurts to see.

Take into consideration, it's what you do with that talent once you get it.

Brandon Marshall could be remembered as a Taylor Jacobs here.

We could have drafted some guy not even on this list and he could be a solid player. It's too much what if to be debating that really.

This list is interesting though.

Damn, Brandon Marshall and Trent Cole are the names that stand out on that list..Especially Marshall..But who knows if we would have drafted them.

Josh Bullocks is another that stands out. Not because he's good but that he was hyped and really hasn't panned out.

brandon marshall

trent cole

manny lawson

eric weddle

anthony fasano

theres 5 guys this team could have used over the course of the past few years, especially cole and marshall.

Chris Cooley, Clinton Portis, Rocky McIntosh. There's 3 guys that have done very well for this team thanks to the trades made to get them. There are good, bad, and neglible looking at the results. Is it really THAT hard for you to look at both sides?

And no, this is not me excusing the trading away of draft picks, and we should all keep in mind that we don't know WHO we would have gotten had we held on to those picks. Sure we could have gotten Marshall or Coles, or we could have gotten a nobody, same applies to where the traded picks didn't turn into much, maybe we would have picked someone who did. It's completely subjective, and you yourself just said last night you can't look at draft failures from other teams and assume they would have failed here, the same goes with success.

Trent Cole and Brandon Marshall are interesting, because both would have been nice on our team. But they are the only ones we really missed out on of the whole list. Still you know we wouldn't have taken them even if we had the picks.

My guess is that we would have taken a couple of fullbacks, tight ends, and a few linebackers that would have been off the team the next year.

Thanks for this info... I always wondered about this and felt had we looked at everything we'd see it's certainly not as bad as it's always made to be around here. Looks like Marshall is the only steal we missed out on, but other than that, the evidence remains of just how much of a crap shoot the draft can be.

That being said, you'd have to also look at who was available at those picks to truly judge, especially who was taken within the next few picks afterwards. That would tell us who we may have been looking at a bit better and the supposed grade NFL scouts had given those players.

I agree we can't say the "Redskins would have picked this guy with this pick".

Having said that, I think when you look at the quality of the players taken with these 18 picks you are verging into the area of fantasy to think Vinny would somehow have grabbed the best player available. He almost certainly have taken players of the same ilk as the processional GM’s did. It is overwhelmingly likely that there would have been 2 Marshal and Cole Level players and the rest at their level & no Brunnell, Lloyd, Portis, Cooley, JC etc.

It is entirely fair as Funkedup said to say the big free agent contracts stymied other moves, as it is to note the vast majority of these guys would be role players and back-ups playing for lower salaries.

This is a great thread and the media should note it.

Archived