Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pukes' scoreboard only 90 feet above the field...

tr1

You may want to rethink or rephrase that statement.:dallasuck

Yes sir, you are right. Hindsight is 20/20. I really didn't believe a punted ball would go 90 feet in the air. I was wrong.

At least it was a Buckeye that hit it.

the set is 10 feet above regulation. the only way to hit it at 90 feet is if you try. the punt that hit wouldn't have gone 20 yards.

Ball was on the 35 when they punted, it was downed on the Cowboy 35. That is 30 yards right there. While it wasn't a long punt, it would have gone quite a bit past 20 yards if it didn't hit the TV.

Actually, I think I became amused that a few people on a fan message board felt they were smarter than a billionaire, professional stadium engineers, and league officials. To think everyone overlooked something soo obvious it simply ridiculous.

From ESPN:

Both Trapasso, an undrafted rookie out of Ohio State, and veteran Craig Hentrich hit the video board in warm-ups and marveled at how engineers, architects and ownership failed to anticipate the issue.

"I hit it probably a dozen times in pregame," Hentrich said. "Probably somewhere around a five-second punt is going to hit it and some of the guys in the league wouldn't be able to punt here if it's not raised, they'd just be non-stop hitting it. I don't know what the people were thinking. I guess they should have tested things out before they put that thing in place. It'll have to be raised."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4415658

Tee hee

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Punt-hits-video-screen-at-new-Cowboys-Stadium?urn=nfl,184487

Jerry Jones wasn't happy with the kick, not so much because he felt that somebody on his engineering team screwed up by placing the video boards too low, but because he seems to think that Trapasso was trying to hit the board on purpose. When asked whether he thought the scoreboard should be raised higher, Jones snapped:

"That's not the point. How high is high if somebody just wants to sit there and kick straight up?

"If you look at how you punt the football, unless you're trying to hit the scoreboard, you punt the ball to get downfield. You certainly want to get some hangtime, but you punt the ball to get downfield, and you sure don't punt the ball down the middle. You punt it off to the side."

Jerry always knows best. :doh:

You honestly think they would put the board in a position where punts and/or passes would hit it?:doh: Apparently everything Dallas does is stupid and you know better, eh?
DOH!!! Apparently, Dallas fails at engineering. First, they hire a firm that makes defective bubble buildings. Now, their architecture firm forgets that football requires balls to kicked into the air. :doh:

the scoreboard is an epic fail. But the bottom line is that they will simply raise it the 15-20 feet necessary. I don't mind admitting that I find it personally embarrassing that they spent so much time and effort in constructing such a monolithic stadium only to overlook something so basic. But it can be fixed, and I'm pretty sure it will be.

the scoreboard is an epic fail. But the bottom line is that they will simply raise it the 15-20 feet necessary. I don't mind admitting that I find it personally embarrassing that they spent so much time and effort in constructing such a monolithic stadium only to overlook something so basic. But it can be fixed, and I'm pretty sure it will be.

doncherry, you're starting to make me like you.

:adoration:

You honestly think they would put the board in a position where punts and/or passes would hit it?:doh: Apparently everything Dallas does is stupid and you know better, eh?

Yes.

So Jerry Jones, the stadium design firm and the league simply overlooked this issue. What will they ever do know?:doh::doh:

Good question.

I think that its a bunch of BS that it is just a do over if the scoreboard is hit. What if a punter is in a place where the scoreboard is in the best possible trajectory for his punt? Is he going to have to change how he would normally punt it because the cowboys are too stupid to know where to put a scoreboard? I think the cowboys should be penalized every time it is hit. Delay of game penalty maybe for making them take the time to do the play again?

Archived