Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pukes' scoreboard only 90 feet above the field...

tr1

Maybe this will clear the issue up.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/sports/football/Installation-Begins-On-Worlds-Largest-HD-Screen.html

"The scoreboard hangs 90 feet above the surface of what will soon be a football field. Officials said they tested the height of the display board against NFL punters who were able to hit a height of 85 feet -- but just barely when punting straight up into the air."

Since punters don't punt the ball straight up in the air during actual football games, I don't think it will be an issue.

The formula setting the punt at 120 feet doesn't tell you what most punter's average hangtimes are, or what the average angle is they kick at. I imagine punters can come close, but 90 feet is pretty high up, and I don't think an NFL punter could hit it on a regular punt. If they kicked the ball straight up they might be able to hit it. Perhaps it's just the look of it. You see a pic of the field and the distance makes the screen look closer than it is. I don't know, but again 90 feet seems pretty high for a punted football.

If not, then its a major design flaw obviously.

Link?

You need a link for that? It's hanging by cables just like every centerhung scoreboard in any arena. They all can be lowered to the floor for maintenance and raised again. I'd assume it would be no problem to raise the scoreboard to 95 feet if it was necessary which it won't be.

You need a link for that? It's hanging by cables just like every centerhung scoreboard in any arena. They all can be lowered to the floor for maintenance and raised again. I'd assume it would be no problem to raise the scoreboard to 95 feet if it was necessary which it won't be.

You're getting angry over this.

:hysterical:

lol- they're cracking up. can't blame them- things are falling apart in Texas since the tuna left. this year should be worse- and the games will be blacked out locally :rotflmao:

Actually, I think I became amused that a few people on a fan message board felt they were smarter than a billionaire, professional stadium engineers, and league officials. To think everyone overlooked something soo obvious it simply ridiculous.

Actually, I think I became amused that a few people on a fan message board felt they were smarter than a billionaire, professional stadium engineers, and league officials. To think everyone overlooked something soo obvious it simply ridiculous.

And, won't you look silly should it happen...:hysterical:

Just for fun I dug out my grandson's football, and tried to see how high I could punt it.

Bare in mind that the last time I punted a football was in high school in the late 50's.

Using an oak tree that I estimated to be about 70 foot tall, I proceeded to attempt a punt over the tree. I figured that I would give it three attempts since I was out of practice.

On the first attempt, I missed the football, for some reason they seem to have gotten a lot smaller over the years. My second attempt I managed to get the ball at least 20 foot in the air, but I really didn't put any leg into it, just trying to make sure I actually hit the ball. On my third and final attempt, I decided to go all out and put the ball over the tree. Eyeing the tree and doing a bit of math in my mind I figured that in order to get it over the tree I would need to punt it at a 59 degree angle and really put some leg into the punt. As I released the ball, my plant foot slipped a bit and I pulled a hammy and shanked the ball. I want to say, don't try this at home folks it can be dangerous.

Did they change the originally designed height of 110' for some reason? It still says on the website it will be 110' above the playing surface.

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

"Video Boards

There will be eight video boards in this facility. The most unique being the four board cluster that will be suspended 110 feet directly over the center of the playing surface. The board will run from the 20-yard line to the 20-yard line -- measuring 180 feet in length and 50 feet in height - making it the largest video board installation in the world. The video center will allow fans on all levels to view the game in crisp, clear images during the game. This will create a premium on the value of the upper-level seats and make the game more exciting for all fans. "

Just for fun I dug out my grandson's football, and tried to see how high I could punt it.

Bare in mind that the last time I punted a football was in high school in the late 50's.

Using an oak tree that I estimated to be about 70 foot tall, I proceeded to attempt a punt over the tree. I figured that I would give it three attempts since I was out of practice.

On the first attempt, I missed the football, for some reason they seem to have gotten a lot smaller over the years. My second attempt I managed to get the ball at least 20 foot in the air, but I really didn't put any leg into it, just trying to make sure I actually hit the ball. On my third and final attempt, I decided to go all out and put the ball over the tree. Eyeing the tree and doing a bit of math in my mind I figured that in order to get it over the tree I would need to punt it at a 59 degree angle and really put some leg into the punt. As I released the ball, my plant foot slipped a bit and I pulled a hammy and shanked the ball. I want to say, don't try this at home folks it can be dangerous.

thanks for the laugh.....that was good....

Dear lordie Hap...we're old men. Are you trying to kill yourself? Dear Lord!

Quick, grab a single malt and relax.

Silly man.

Archived