Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pukes' scoreboard only 90 feet above the field...

tr1

I think Jones is so pissed because he knows he will have to raise it. That poses problems because it was specifically designed for that height. By raising it, you are not only changing the spectators viewing angle, you are changing the viewing distance. When you spend as much as he did on a scoreboard, you want it to be perfect, and now it will be slightly off.

the scoreboard is an epic fail. But the bottom line is that they will simply raise it the 15-20 feet necessary. I don't mind admitting that I find it personally embarrassing that they spent so much time and effort in constructing such a monolithic stadium only to overlook something so basic. But it can be fixed, and I'm pretty sure it will be.

Your right, but it should not be embarassing to you unless they don't fix it, right away. Unless you designed, engineered, or installed it. Those are the guys I would blame. I don't really see where Jerry would be at fault, unless he refuses to have it fixed.

(never mind, jerry is still an idiot)

"That's not the point. How high is high if somebody just wants to sit there and kick straight up?

"If you look at how you punt the football, unless you're trying to hit the scoreboard, you punt the ball to get downfield. You certainly want to get some hangtime, but you punt the ball to get downfield, and you sure don't punt the ball down the middle. You punt it off to the side."

I hope to never see a debate about this thing falling... yikes

My wife said the same, I thought I heard the announcers say it weighs 1.2 million pounds, is that possible? That would be alot of broken bulbs to clean up, and hopefully it never happens especially while something is at the stadium.

It got hit, they need to raise it, period. I'll be surprised if the NFL sleeps on this.

but then again I can see the NFL not doing a damn thing about it. If it were me I'd go by the old "you made your bed no lay in it" rule and make them raise it no matter the cost.. because ultimately it's their damn fault for putting it where they did in the first place.

Yeah, Jerry Jones and the #1 stadium design firm in the world are stupid and overlooked something soo obvious. Not to mention it probably can be raised with the simple push of a button if necessary.

You honestly think they would put the board in a position where punts and/or passes would hit it?:doh: Apparently everything Dallas does is stupid and you know better, eh?
http://deadspin.com/5343669/moving-jerrys-big-tv-wouldnt-be-cheap

According to Chris Mortensen's source with the Cowboys, raising the 72' high video screen would cost a minimum of $2 million (or 33,333 pizzas)

Wow, holy pepperoni?

So glad this thread was bumped.

what would stop a punter or qb from intentionally punting/throwing the ball at this thing if he was outside the pocket after protection broke down?

whhat would stop a Jamarcus Russell or Jay Cutler from taking a snap in shotgun and throwing it straight up if they didnt like the coverage all of the sudden?

would this be feasible? i mean 90 feet just does not seem that high for a strong-armed nfl qb.

If any punter hits it during the next game there, I'm going to start an honor roll thread of NFL punters who have Doinked the Video Screen.

So far we have the Titans' Craig Hentrich and A.J. Trapasso. Congrats, guys, on being the first inductees into the NFL Punters Who Have Doinked the Video Screen Honor Roll.

In the meantime, Jerry Jones sounds belligerent and defiant on the issue:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jimlitke-082409&prov=ap&type=lgns

If any punter hits it during the next game there, I'm going to start an honor roll thread of NFL punters who have Doinked the Video Screen.

So far we have the Titans' Craig Hentrich and A.J. Trapasso. Congrats, guys, on being the first inductees into the NFL Punters Who Have Doinked the Video Screen Honor Roll.

sounds like a business man.

He built a stadium, got approval for the specifications, and doesn't plan on spending money to alter something that was built to specification.

I don't like it, but I do think the issue is overhyped right now. That punt that hit the screen was a crappy punt and I really think the punter tried to make a name for himself.

He built a stadium, got approval for the specifications, and doesn't plan on spending money to alter something that was built to specification.

I don't like it, but I do think the issue is overhyped right now. That punt that hit the screen was a crappy punt and I really think the punter tried to make a name for himself.

I disagree. I think that the screen needs to be raised. There has been one game there and it's been hit twice. Waiting for it to be hit again will just bring undue embarrassment. A mistake was made. Just correct it and move on....

I disagree. I think that the screen needs to be raised. There has been one game there and it's been hit twice. Waiting for it to be hit again will just bring undue embarrassment. A mistake was made. Just correct it and move on....

twice?

I agree a mistake was made, but the league has to own a share of this mistake by approving the design.

McBriar hit the scoreboard as well in pre game.

it was lowered for the u2 concert.

Yeah- and it's going to be that way until October 12th.

This U2 tour is messing a lot of **** up in every place they go. Apparently last month in Dublin, the crew responsible for breaking down that ridiculous stage kept everybody in the surrounding area awake all night... so the next morning the people of Dublin basically protested and stopped the 50-truck convoy from getting to their ferry. The tour managers went ballistic bc it screwed up travel dates.

I'm a professional musician. I'm Irish. But I hate U2 and everything they are about. How is it logical to "Save Africa" and all that bull**** when you are traveling around the world with a 50-truck convoy polluting the entire planet? And I'm not some environmentalist/vegan/save-the-world-one-smile-at-a-time-type dude.... but Bono is so full of it, man-- I wish that guy would tell people the truth about where the majority of his money goes.

bono-with-2-teens-1.jpg

If they don't change the clock reset rule by the time the Giants play the first game there, I'd love to see the Giants have the lead with a few minutes left in the game and just continually hit the scoreboard for a "do over". Jerry Jones would raise the scoreboard the next day if that happened.

The only flaw with this plan is that I don't know 87 year old Jeff Feagles could hit the scoreboard. :)

If they don't change the clock reset rule by the time the Giants play the first game there, I'd love to see the Giants have the lead with a few minutes left in the game and just continually hit the scoreboard for a "do over". Jerry Jones would raise the scoreboard the next day if that happened.

The only flaw with this plan is that I don't know 87 year old Jeff Feagles could hit the scoreboard.

So you think the only flaw is that he might miss the videoboard?

Bad snap, blocked punt, penalty, etc, etc, etc.

Good logic!

~snicker

No...he sounds like a beligerent NFL owner who thinks he knows more than he does when he starts claiming that punters would have to kick "straight up" to hit it and that nobody punts "straight down the middle anways" and that they "punt to the side", and saying THOSE things are the reasons the scoreboard won't be hit lol...it's about right up there with proclaiming that Romo sits to pee's pinky finger won't keep him from playing because he caught a few balls from Romo sits to pee during practice and he felt everything was OK :thumbsup:

No...he sounds like a beligerent NFL owner who thinks he knows more than he does when he starts claiming that punters would have to kick "straight up" to hit it and that nobody punts "straight down the middle anways" and that they "punt to the side", and saying THOSE things are the reasons the scoreboard won't be hit lol...it's about right up there with proclaiming that Romo sits to pee's pinky finger won't keep him from playing because he caught a few balls from Romo sits to pee during practice and he felt everything was OK

He sounds like a businessman.

A fan cares about the game. I don’t like this because an athlete’s own ability should be the only restriction to hang time, not some massive video screen overhead.

Jones is pointing out how he followed rules and that this big tv is put into place for entertainment value. He sees this as a business person would see it. It’s not in his financial interest to care about the game, only his bottom line.

Jones is pointing out how he followed rules and that this big tv is put into place for entertainment value. He sees this as a business person would see it. It’s not in his financial interest to care about the game, only his bottom line.
As an owner, he should be very embarrassed that his stadium is the first to bring a "miniature golf aspect" to the NFL.

As an owner, he should be very embarrassed that his stadium is the first to bring a "miniature golf aspect" to the NFL.

I sure hope he is embarrassed, because that would signify that he might capitulate.

…..But I would compare this more to the idiocy of MLB where field configuration vary widely from ball park to ball park. I personally hate that aspect of baseball and do not want to see such a trend begin in NFL stadiums.

Archived