Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pukes' scoreboard only 90 feet above the field...

tr1

so now they are saying the Titans kicker purposely hit the scoreboard to bring negative press, says it will cost $2 mil to move it up- yet they are moving it up to 100 ft for the U2 concert...

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/26/no-huddle-notebook-michael-crabtree-willing-to-compromise/

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the board shouldn't move anymore because it's five feet above the league mandated limit of 85 feet for video boards hanging over the field. If the board gets moved, it will cost the Cowboys $2 million -- Jones might expect the league to pay for it.

An upcoming U2 concert to Cowboys Stadium requires the video board move 10 feet higher because of a 100-foot stage the band uses.

Many of the Cowboys believe the Titans tried to hit the video board on purpose to raise awareness of the video board in a negative way.

"The kick that hit it in the game wasn't a good kick," Cowboys punter Mat McBriar said. "It looked like it was going straight up. That was going 30 yards -- if that. And it wasn't like he worried about kicking to the end zone."

McBriar said he is supposed to punt the ball toward the sidelines as a reason why he doesn't believe he will hit the video board.

"It may go down the middle, but if it does, it's a miskick," he said.

so now they are saying the Titans kicker purposely hit the scoreboard to bring negative press, says it will cost $2 mil to move it up- yet they are moving it up to 100 ft for the U2 concert...

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/26/no-huddle-notebook-michael-crabtree-willing-to-compromise/

It's being moved for the U2 concert because they agreed to pay to have it moved.

Just follow the money. Whatever height it ends up being for games, I got a feeling Jerry is going to make someone help or completely pay for the costs.

I'm no construction expert- but why the hell would it cost $2 mil to move it??

and I agree with Techboy- leave it there then!

It probably doesn't cost $2 million dollars, but that is what they are charging U2 to move the scoreboard for their concert. So Jerry can't go and publicly say that it costs less to move it now. If he did that, U2 wouldn't pay them the $2 million anymore. :)

Lets be real. Nobody is going to try to throw at that screen. It is just another negative thing for the haters to bring up.

How about YOU be real?? The damn thing is only 30 yards from where the QB is standing, even Chad Pennington could hit it if he wanted too. Why give up a down throwing the ball out of bounds when you get the down over by hitting that hovering eyesore?? Stop being such a Cowboys homer and face the facts. Something needs to be done or the Cowboys should lose the 2011 Super Bowl. I'm sure if the NFL gives Jerruh that choice, you'll see how fast he get's that thing out of reach.

How about YOU be real?? The damn thing is only 30 yards from where the QB is standing, even Chad Pennington could hit it if he wanted too. Why give up a down throwing the ball out of bounds when you get the down over by hitting that hovering eyesore?? Stop being such a Cowboys homer and face the facts. Something needs to be done or the Cowboys should lose the 2011 Super Bowl. I'm sure if the NFL gives Jerruh that choice, you'll see how fast he get's that thing out of reach.

because

A) it takes more time to throw the ball straight up into the air pinpointing the scoreboard than to chuck it to the sidelines. When you are being pressured, which would cause you to want to throw away the ball, you don't have that extra time

B) When you miss, and it will happen if QBs decided to make a game plan of hitting the screen, that makes for one juicy interception opportunity.

Lets be real. Nobody is going to try to throw at that screen. It is just another negative thing for the haters to bring up.

I bet Tom Brady would.

Belichick will use any means if it gets him a win. He's done the run out the back of the endzone safety thing which I am surprised isnt done more, he's was the coach during the Raiders/Pats "tuck rule" game, he had video cameras openly recording live games for years, opponent headsets seem to mysteriously go out in their stadium all the time, and I am sure 50 other things I can't remember or don't know about, so if throwing the ball at the screen gives an advantage somehow don't rule it out.

Punting a ball 90 feet into the air is a hell of a lot easier than throwing one 90 feet into the air, especially in a game situation. Hitting the screen with a pass is much easier said than done. So Jerruh probably doesn't need to be concerned about that.

because

A) it takes more time to throw the ball straight up into the air pinpointing the scoreboard than to chuck it to the sidelines. When you are being pressured, which would cause you to want to throw away the ball, you don't have that extra time

B) When you miss, and it will happen if QBs decided to make a game plan of hitting the screen, that makes for one juicy interception opportunity.

Actually, I'd assume that if a QB wants to hit it, it would probably be easiest to do from their own endzone area. Then they can throw it forward at the endzone screens (a 29ft X 51ft target) and not have to throw it straight up. Of course the question remains how difficult would it be for the QB to get the ball 90ft+ in the air from their own endzone. I don't know enough about QB tragectories/arm strength to even try and guess.

So NFL rules that if a kick hits the scoreboard, clock winds back and the team gets a do-over. This is their "temporary solution"? WTF? I hope a team goes in there and just kicks it into the scoreboard like 10 times in a row.

If the clock winds back each time, what would be the point?

Punting a ball 90 feet into the air is a hell of a lot easier than throwing one 90 feet into the air, especially in a game situation. Hitting the screen with a pass is much easier said than done. So Jerruh probably doesn't need to be concerned about that.

Do you know 90 feet is only 30 yards? Most High School QB's on one knee blind folded can can throw 30 yards. A starting pro QB can hit the scoreboard with ease in any game situation.

So NFL rules that if a kick hits the scoreboard, clock winds back and the team gets a do-over. This is their "temporary solution"? WTF? I hope a team goes in there and just kicks it into the scoreboard like 10 times in a row.

I don't like it either. Seems like games there could take awhile if this happens a few times per game. We know now that Goodell is afraid of Jones.

Do you know 90 feet is only 30 yards? Most High School QB's on one knee blind folded can can throw 30 yards. A starting pro QB can hit the scoreboard with ease in any game situation.

Hey, thanks for doing that math for me.

Also, I only got a B minus in high school physics, but I'm pretty sure throwing a ball 30 yards downfield is a hell of lot easier than throwing it 30 yards straight up.

Hey, thanks for doing that math for me.

Also, I only got a B minus in high school physics, but I'm pretty sure throwing a ball 30 yards downfield is a hell of lot easier than throwing it 30 yards straight up.

And you would be correct.

I laugh at anyone who thinks a professional QB is going to purposely try to hit the scoreboard. What the hell is wrong with you people?

Although it'd be hilarious just in principal if someone did try it. But lets not kid ourselves... no pass is ever going to hit that thing. When was the last time you saw a ball fly up in the air 30 yards in a pass? Never happens.

Talk about completely exhausting your special teams guys for no reason at all.

That could certainly be an advantage for the Cowboys... the punt coverage team being completely exhausted from running down the field 10 times. That's not to say the Cowboys punt return guys wouldn't be tired but the gunners on the punt team may be passed out by that point.. haha.

Jerry Jones got his way. The 60-yard big screens will stay at 90 feet above the field.

Here's a press release from the NFL regarding the rules if a punt does hit the Jerrytron:

Commissioner ROGER GOODELL notified NFL clubs of a change in rules for the 2009 season relating to the video board over the field at the new Cowboys Stadium but that will also potentially apply in other situations.After consulting with the Competition Committee and NFL staff, the commissioner said the following will be in effect for all remaining preseason, regular season, and postseason games of the 2009 season:

If a ball in play strikes a video board, guide wire, sky cam, or any other object, the ball will be dead immediately, and the down will be replayed at the previous spot.

If there is not an on-field ruling that the ball struck an object, the Replay Assistant is empowered to initiate a booth review, including if the event occurs prior to the two-minute warning. If, prior to the two-minute warning, no booth review is initiated by the Replay Assistant, a coach's challenge is permitted under the customary procedures for such a challenge.

In the event the down is replayed:

(a) The game clock will be reset to the time remaining when the snap occurred.

(
B)
All penalties will be disregarded, except for personal fouls which will be administered prior to replaying the down.

Rule 3, Section 1 of the Official NFL Playing Rules provides for an official ruling to be implemented "in the interim between the annual rules meeting" that is "official only during the current season." This Official Ruling expires at the conclusion of the 2009 postseason.

"We will continue to address the particular circumstances in Dallas, giving full consideration to the competitive, safety and fan experience issues involved," Commissioner Goodell said. "The Cowboys have been fully cooperative as we have addressed this subject, and we will continue to work closely with the club on a longer term resolution."

Archived