Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help me get rid of spyware

OrangeSkin

I have tried Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Windows Defender, but I keep getting random popups everywhere I go, and my laptop--which is four years old and probably on its last legs--is barely functional. Is there anything I do on my own, or do I have to take it somewhere? Is it fixable even if I do that? Help me out, ES!

I have tried Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Windows Defender, but I keep getting random popups everywhere I go, and my laptop--which is four years old and probably on its last legs--is barely functional. Is there anything I do on my own, or do I have to take it somewhere? Is it fixable even if I do that? Help me out, ES!

I use the free version of AVG and haven't run into any issues with spyware that couldn't be fixed. What websites are you going on that could be causing the issue? You may want to try and isolate these problem areas before going on the internet again. I would also suggest backing up your data and making sure any valuable personal information on your computer is taken off. Then take off all the virus programs you have on your computer except for the one you mainly use. In my experience running multiple virus programs can cause instability and render them useless. Run a complete virus scan and see what comes up. Let me know how it works out.

DO THE FOLLOWING (These guys are the best)

Go to forums.spybot.info, register, and post under the malware removal forum.

I had random popups too, and they fixed. It takes about 2-4 days for a response, but they know exactly how to solve your problem.

try malwarebytes

do this...i just had spyware protect 2009 install itself on my computer, telling me (every 5 seconds, no lie) that my computer was infected with viruses. pop-ups everywhere, dl'ed this FREE program, everything was gone after restart.

Try super anti spyware.There is a free version.

Here is the link.

http://www.superantispyware.com/?tag=GOOGLE-SUPERANTISPYWARE

Make sure to let us know what fixes it or doesn't.

I've never heard of that product. And I've got to tell you that whenever I see a product I've never heard of that claims to be anti-spyware/anti-virus, my immediate assumption is that it is spyware.

I know this can be a royal pain in the behind, but is backing up your data, wiping the system clean, and doing a re-install a do-able option? I know it's a pain, but

a) As old as your machine is, you really need a backup, anyway.

B) And it really will do a world of good for your system, performance-wise. Windows machines really do accumulate a really incredible pile of junk that just slows things down.

But yes, I know. Re-installing is a real pain. (And, depending on how your software came, a lot of home users literally don't know how.)

I have a computer at work I'm trying to fix thats proving to be difficult. Even in safe mode it intercepts any attempts to reach an anti-spyware site. If I try to run malwarebytes it shuts it down. Nasty little bugger.

Gonna try Kaparsky Monday. Maybe a java based scanner will get through.

I have a computer at work I'm trying to fix thats proving to be difficult. Even in safe mode it intercepts any attempts to reach an anti-spyware site. If I try to run malwarebytes it shuts it down. Nasty little bugger.

Gonna try Kaparsky Monday. Maybe a java based scanner will get through.

I just had that problem with the last virus I killed for my brother. I tricked it into letting me go to anti-virus sites by going through a proxy server. I couldn't get malwarebytes to run, though, so I downloaded unhackme (trial) and got rid of some of the virus from there. I then killed the process I suspected to be the virus and quickly ran malwarebytes before it could stop me.

For those who can't run malwarebytes, if you have it installed, go to program files and change its name from an .exe to a .bat. Malwarebytes then was able to run. I had a bugger that prevented any anti-spyware from executing.

I've never heard of that product. And I've got to tell you that whenever I see a product I've never heard of that claims to be anti-spyware/anti-virus, my immediate assumption is that it is spyware.

I wouldn't have said to try it if I didn't know that it was a good product and that it isn't spyware my friend.

I wasn't born yesterday.

:cool2:

For those who can't run malwarebytes, if you have it installed, go to program files and change its name from an .exe to a .bat. Malwarebytes then was able to run. I had a bugger that prevented any anti-spyware from executing.

Cool, thanks. I'll give this a shot Monday or Tuesday and let you know how it works for me.

DO THE FOLLOWING (These guys are the best)

Go to forums.spybot.info, register, and post under the malware removal forum.

I had random popups too, and they fixed. It takes about 2-4 days for a response, but they know exactly how to solve your problem.

Agreed with this options.

Spybot - Search and Destroy is a powerful program, but it's one that requires somebody who really knows what they're doing, or you can do serious damage.

Fortunately, those forums have people who really know what they're doing, and will help people just as a favor.

do this...i just had spyware protect 2009 install itself on my computer, telling me (every 5 seconds, no lie) that my computer was infected with viruses. pop-ups everywhere, dl'ed this FREE program, everything was gone after restart.

The EXACT virus is on my computer right now... I'm running trendmicro's housecall right now...

Agreed with this options.

Spybot - Search and Destroy is a powerful program, but it's one that requires somebody who really knows what they're doing, or you can do serious damage.

Fortunately, those forums have people who really know what they're doing, and will help people just as a favor.

Honestly, Spybot is an easy program to use. Just run it every couple of days and make sure you have the updates. It doesn't fix all programs, but it identifies some that can't be removed.

However, "combofix" is a VERY powerful program and should not be used without their consent while they are working with you. Combofix gets out most of the junk that spybot will not find.

Ad-aware actully works very well for me on the spyware/adware, and I also have some program call NOD something for everything else. On top of that I use firefox for my browser which has a good pop-up blocker. Anytime I feel like I am actually infected, I update everything and scan my computer.

I did a full scan with the malwarebytes, and it seems to have done the job, I'm hoping. I don't want to jinx it though, because I thought Ad-aware worked, but it definitely didn't. Larry, I like your suggestion, but I don't trust myself to do it without seriously screwing something up. I'll probably just take it somewhere to get that done as a last resort. Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it.

Archived