Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins to Reassure Campbell (Dan and Vinny to meet with QB)

SMOSS89

I agree Campbell has handled himself well, but in fairness he does not have the same options that Cutler had. Campbell's only realistic chance to start next season is right here...if he were to pull a cutler type power play he would likely end up on someone else's bench. And that's not a good place to be in a contract year. Campbell didn't just make the classy move...he made his only move.

they wont dude. campbell wont cut it. samuels got injured during the last month of the season if i remember.

and why are thomas and kelly gonna be ready this year? thats a complete mystery.

campbell isnt on the another hand. we should all be well aware of what weve got in him.

and improvement from what? our offense was ranked 28th in the scoring. do you really see us jumping to the top 15?

our offense in scoring since 2004:

2004 - 15 ppg: 31st

2005 - 22.4 ppg: 16th

2006 - 19.2 ppg: 20th

2007 - 20.9 ppg: 20th

2008 - 16.6 ppg: 28th

now, somehow without changing quarterbacks, keeping the same line minus a RT, and two rookie WR who to this point have done nothing, were going to miraculously improve these numbers to make our offense competitive? because its campbells second year in a system?

insanity. our offense is going to suck again.

Samuels injured his triceps in week 14 so missed the last 4 games but had been playing all season with a bad knee. He had it scoped when he went on IR. We also added Dock and thank God still have our #13 pick so its possible we start the next opener with a new LG and RT.

As you say Campbell is what he is. A QB who completes over 60% of his passes, does not throw interceptions but who struggles to dominate a game and does not throw enough TD passes. He is also in his second year in a new system so its not insane to expect some improvment. Say 4 more TDs but at the cost of 2 more INTS.

The real key though is the devlopment of the rookie receivers. This is where I think you are way of base in your post. Rookie receivers historically struggle and the biggest leap they make is from their rookie year to the year after.

Brandon Marshall had 30 odd catches his rookie year and over 100 in his next.

Not saying say Devin Thomas will do that but its not insane to think he could have 50+ catches. If he does it will open things up for both Moss and Cooley and make a significant impact on our offensive production.

Add in Zorn being in his second year as a HC, effective OC and play caller and again you would expect to see som eimprovement in scheme, game planning and play calling.

It might all not happen but its is entirley reasonable to expect better offensive production. Reason though is often in short supply on ES where emotion and knee jerk reactions are the order of the this and any other day.

LOL!

"Gee, sorry we stabbed you in the back, Jason, as we were chasing our latest shiny, exciting prospect who happened to play at your position. No hard feelings, eh? Now, about that new contract of yours . . ."

What a ****ing joke. I'd have far more respect for Snyderatto if they just openly said, "Yeah, we were looking at upgrading with Cutler who we feel is a better prospect, but it didn't work out and these things happen sometimes."

Wrong. They don't want any of those guys. The Bears offered this year's third along with two 1s. The Skins didn't have a second, so obvisously they can't part with their third.

Are there any articles that state the Skins offered? I agree that it would be difficult for the Skins to give up a 3rd but I still think they would have done it. The point I'm still trying to make is that the Broncos STILL selected Orton even though the Skins had higher selections in the draft and supposedly a 'better Qb' in Campbell.

Bears gave up 18th pick

Skins had the 13th pick

Next years 1st round depends on where the team fall in terms of record so that could be 1st pick or 32 pick.

Bears gave up 84th pick in 3rd round

Skins had the 80th pick in the 3rd round

Better QB and better picks, then why did they take Orton?

Saying Campbell is a crybaby is absurd and just another example of Hunter's senseless bashing.

The baby who needed reassuring whined his way out of Denver. I can't believe everyone misses that point.

About Campbell this year, stats are less important than everyone puts stock in. It's all about wins and losses. Period. The end.

As long as JC isn't losing us games, something that we've seen in Dallas an awful lot (and here two years ago when Campbell would throw the back breaking pick or fumble while being sacked at the worst possible moment) and we are winning then there's no need to mortgage our future for a guy like Cutler who has the same record as a starter.

Oh but the defense! Look at the record when teams are held to 21 and under!!!!

Different team, different offense, 11 sacks, two legit stud receivers. Campbell doesn't have to be Cutler, he just has to win on this team in our system with the way we win.

5069 yds 34 tds and 96.2 qb rating at 8-8 missing the playoffs is the same as

3245 yds 13 tds and 84.3 qb rating at 8-8 missing the playoffs at the end of the day

Pro bowl? Comparable to the Offseason Super Bowl.

I'm sure the Steelers want to sell the farm because there QB who won the Super Bowl twice has stats that compare to Campbell awful well.

They win with running, defense, and a QB who doesn't make many mistakes compared to the insane amount of pressure he faces. Denver plays wide open and slings the ball around because they have to score and score often to win, ditto for New Orleans.

Guess which of these teams we're more like.

It almost sounds like Zorn threw Dan and Vinny under the bus when he said the two of them are "in it together."

And I'm glad he did. Those two idiots need to be thrown under the bus.

Zorn demonstrated some leadership, and I know the team will notice that. The irony is that if Campbell makes nice strides this year as the starter and the team wants to resign him, Zorn's unity with Campbell may be the only thing that saves the team from having completely alienated Campbell.

Samuels injured his triceps in week 14 so missed the last 4 games but had been playing all season with a bad knee. He had it scoped when he went on IR. We also added Dock and thank God still have our #13 pick so its possible we start the next opener with a new LG and RT.

As you say Campbell is what he is. A QB who completes over 60% of his passes, does not throw interceptions but who struggles to dominate a game and does not throw enough TD passes. He is also in his second year in a new system so its not insane to expect some improvment. Say 4 more TDs but at the cost of 2 more INTS.

The real key though is the devlopment of the rookie receivers. This is where I think you are way of base in your post. Rookie receivers historically struggle and the biggest leap they make is from their rookie year to the year after.

Brandon Marshall had 30 odd catches his rookie year and over 100 in his next.

Not saying say Devin Thomas will do that but its not insane to think he could have 50+ catches. If he does it will open things up for both Moss and Cooley and make a significant impact on our offensive production.

Add in Zorn being in his second year as a HC, effective OC and play caller and again you would expect to see som eimprovement in scheme, game planning and play calling.

It might all not happen but its is entirley reasonable to expect better offensive production. Reason though is often in short supply on ES where emotion and knee jerk reactions are the order of the this and any other day.

ive been waiting for campbell to wow me for 36 games. if anyone knows my post history i was on the campbell wagon for the past 3 years. i fell off after the bengals game and im never getting back on it. hes never going to anything more than a mediocre game manager. if you think 36 games isnt patience well i cant say much else.

again, check our offensive history. we struggle to score points because our quarterback isnt good. notice the one year where we did score some points was the year brunell had his return to glory for about 12 games of the season. 23 TD passes, low INTs, killer running game, good defense.

every other year its been either a horrible brunell, or a lameduck campbell. the only thing thats gonna jump start this offense is the right QB. it aint campbell, and the longer we wait around for him to turn into this guy, the more time we waste.

What do you think hes going to say? He doesnt have the talent of Cutler so he cant throw his team other the bus. Yes, I agree that he is probably a better human being that Cutler but he probably knows he has no other options other than the Skins and that was made evident yesterday. Either he takes it or he's bagging groceries down the road.

Jason Campbell has had the same personality and work-ethic since he came in the league.

Zorn's unity with Campbell may be the only thing that saves the team from having completely alienated Campbell.

That and the franchise tag if there is a new CBA or him being an restricted free agent if there is no new CBA plus an offer of about $50+M in gurantees if he has a good year this year.

I agree with you though Zorn and Campbell come out of this well. Vinny and Dan not so much.

Are there any articles that state the Skins offered? I agree that it would be difficult for the Skins to give up a 3rd but I still think they would have done it. The point I'm still trying to make is that the Broncos STILL selected Orton even though the Skins had higher selections in the draft and supposedly a 'better Qb' in Campbell.

Bears gave up 18th pick

Skins had the 13th pick

Next years 1st round depends on where the team fall in terms of record so that could be 1st pick or 32 pick.

Until we KNOW what the Skins offered, this argument is STUPID!!!

How would it change the dynamic if the Skins did not offer 2 1st round picks?

Don't be an Assumer.

:helmet: The Rook

I just don't understand how we can act like nothing happened and move forward. It would be like asking a hot girl out publicly, and when she says no, coming back to your wife...it can't work.

With that said, it is nice that Zorn has so obviously hitched his wagon to JC. It will make it that much easier to get rid of them after this miserable season.

i'm callin it...

JC eclipses all his career highs in stats this year, skins make the "paloffs"

WE DON'T SIGN HIM

...and then he signs with the Eagles and comes back and destroys us twice a year.

sounds like a Snyderrato moment. Cue the clown music.

Until we KNOW what the Skins offered, this argument is STUPID!!!

How would it change the dynamic if the Skins did not offer 2 1st round picks?

Don't be an Assumer.

:helmet: The Rook

Absolutely, fair enough. i did write in my post - does anyone have an article that shows what was offered by the Skins though....

I missed the Cincy game, so maybe you (BLC) saw something I didn't, but I'll admit if things are not improving this year with JC under center, it will be a hard sell to keep him.

that was the end for me. that was the game after all the portis nonsense and everyone was down. wouldnt you think our "leader" would talk to his team and say "look, were down in the dumps, but **** all that, lets go out and demolish this awful bengals team. we need this W guys, lets go out and crush."

and campbell crushed for 16/28 for 168 yards and 1 TD. quite the performance youd hope for from your franchise QB. yes i know cooley fumbled on the first play of the game. yes i know sellers got robbed at the goalline. we still only scored 13 points.

and its never all his fault. id just like to see more production.

Bears gave up 18th pick

Skins had the 13th pick

Because we never offered two firsts, much less two firsts and a third.

Archived