Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins to Reassure Campbell (Dan and Vinny to meet with QB)

SMOSS89

Something like 18. Second most in the league on the second most passing attempts. I'm reasonably certainly you'd take 25 TDs, 18 INTs, 4500 yards over 13 TDs, 6 INTs and 3200 yards.

I do not believe Cutler is an elite QB yet. No one claims the 25-year-old Cutler is a perfect player. But, he's been substantially superior to our 27-year-old Campbell on the football field. It strains credulity to not recognize this.

It'd be like saying Portis is better than Peterson. No one can believe this.

Considering the Broncos and Cutler had almost 100 more attempts he should have more yards and touchdowns.Those are nice but its about W's at the end of the day instead putting up large numbers that mean nothing .Ask Drew Brees. "He is game 1 substantially superior" as you said. Cutler has a 17-20 record and Campbell has a 16-20 record. People need to quit hiding behind the numbers.They dont WANT Campbell at QB and it has nothing to do with performance especially when they are willing to replace him with a talented player with a attitude problem.Wont talk to his coach or owner for 10 days.Im selling my house and my mommies as well.Thats the guy you want as your QB? Sounds like T.O.? It is funny when people look at T.O. they talk about his attitude issues yet with Cutler they are soooooo willing to overlook his.If Campbell acted like Cutler and this trade was made you and everyone else would be saying Campbell that attitude was bad for team chemistry.But here is a quality guy that Joe Gibbs selected with no issues off the field but we want to get rid of him and more draft picks for a guy who has not won a playoff game either? Gotcha sorry for me being so incredulous :doh:

Again with the passing yards! Aaron Rodgers was fourth on that list; Cassel was 8th. Kitna made the top-10 passing yards list twice in the last three years, as did Pennington. So what?

Using yards to evaluate a QB suffers the same sorts of pitfalls as using INT's to evaluate CB play. Often with a QB it means that he's on a lousy team that plays from behind a lot and that therefore has to pass (Cutler was 2nd in pass attempts on a team with a lousy defense and horrendous injuries to its RB corps).

In short, this sort of response does not at all refute my observations about Cutler, as a developing NFL QB, having far more similarities to Campbell than differences.

Productivity is productivity. You either have it or you do not. Cutler has been a starter for the full season twice. Campbell has never had a year as good as either of them.

Cutler has an advantage of not being quite so hamstrung on offense as being forced to throw so many balls under 10 yards, so some of the difference could well be how much better the system is in Denver than here.

Though despite differences in offenses, Campbell has only managed 6.3, 6.5 and 6.4 yards per pass attempt. Cutler hasn't managed below 7.3. And he's been in the WCO, shorter passing offense where Campbell did have downfield options with the Saunders system at least.

And, while we continue to wonder whether system limits Campbell or Campbell limits system, the unfortunate reality is the ONLY actual evidence we have to this point is Campbell limits system. We saw that when the offense took off as soon as Campbell got hurt and Collins took over. Some of that scrubs away as teams might not know how to game plan Collins and the early edge goes to the offense then. Some of that is heightened in how much more physically superior Campbell is to Collins.

While I share your passion and hope for Campbell, he's simply been a fair player in his best season, and he got worse throughout that season in performance. Cutler has a faster release, is far quicker in his drops, appears more accurate overall, though, given how high a percentage of 10 and under we throw, accuracy is similiar.

Cutler was coveted by team after team, including one team who surrendered two firsts a third and a starter. Cutler merited enough common respect for his play to make a Pro Bowl and while we agree the Pro Bowl is hardly a fair assessment of a player given Fletcher should be there, it is usually the case a first-timer getting there means more than a regular because it means he broke through -- or someone got hurt :).

I am by no means a Cutler lover. I'm not actually a Campbell hater. I am as much a fan of Campbell's potential as anyone here. I just refuse to allow the potential to cause me to ignore the reality of his play that he's not actually been that good and there are players who've done far more in their careers.

Like Cutler.

I'm getting sick of the reassuring that baby needs.

You should get the he'll off this message board, ignoramus.

Campbell hasn't "needed" anyone's reassurance. Not the FO's, coaches, or his teammates. He's a grown a** man, and I'm extremely impressed his character stood up to this latest scrutiny. Especially so, since we were ready to trade him for an overrated, childish Cutler. It's ludicrous that you would say something so ridiculously ignorant.

When he's carrying this team next year, I can only hope he wins your approval. Regardless, he don't need it, and he won't need it. He's just gonna continue to work hard and improve. That's the tested and true path to success. You and Snyder both need a reality check.

HAIL!

Very,very , very high amount? Cutler tossed more interceptions than Campbell and the difference between their Qb rating was 1.7 points

You don't think giving up 2 first rounders and a third for him shows what teams around the league think of him?

You should get the he'll off this message board, ignoramus.

I hope that's just a typo.

Are there any articles that state the Skins offered? I agree that it would be difficult for the Skins to give up a 3rd but I still think they would have done it. The point I'm still trying to make is that the Broncos STILL selected Orton even though the Skins had higher selections in the draft and supposedly a 'better Qb' in Campbell.

Bears gave up 18th pick

Skins had the 13th pick

Next years 1st round depends on where the team fall in terms of record so that could be 1st pick or 32 pick.

Bears gave up 84th pick in 3rd round

Skins had the 80th pick in the 3rd round

Better QB and better picks, then why did they take Orton?

They took Orton because he was packaged with two 1s and a 3rd. Do you honestly think the Denver FO is thinking about going from Cutler to Orton?

13th vs. 18th

80th vs. 84th ...... doesn't matter

It was that 3rd this year that mattered. Even though Snyder can be a reckless SOB at times, I don't think he's totally tone deaf and ignorant. If he sold the farm and gave up basically all his 'first day' picks that he has left for a guy with questionable character, that may want more than the 24 mil left on his contract....and would be operating behind an OL that still needs some upgrades? I think that was too risky, even for Snyder.

I may be wrong.... but I don't see it.

i'm callin it...

JC eclipses all his career highs in stats this year, skins make the "paloffs"

WE DON'T SIGN HIM

It is sad to say, but I think that you are right on this one. This why they are in damage control mode because if they don't sign him then and he does play well Campbell will have the advantage and in uncapped year that is going to be huge! I hope that he does well and do hope that he would re-sign here, but I have feeling that if he does do well he is going to stick it to the Redskins because if you are outside the circle of trust and don't play raquetball with Dan or go to his Super Bowl parties in Miami then you are truly out.

They took Orton because he was packaged with two 1s and a 3rd. Do you honestly think the Denver FO is thinking about going from Cutler to Orton?

LOL, no no I agree I don't think that was the case but my original point remains the same. It wasn't about Cutler for Orton it was about Orton over Campbell given the same package. If that's what was offered and yes I'm speculating here.

LOL, no no I agree I don't think that was the case but my original point remains the same. It wasn't about Cutler for Orton it was about Orton over Campbell given the same package. If that's what was offered and yes I'm speculating here.

OK -- I got you.... But, trust me, if we had our 2nd round pick and our 3rd this year. Snyder would have packaged the 1s and one of those.... probably the 2nd (to beat out Chi) and Cutler would be holding up a Redskins jersey in Ashburn right about now.

That's why I think Snyder should bring in a GM, keep Vinny if that's his boy... but bring in a polished GM... to run things. The Skins FO gets it right sometimes, but when they don't, it costs them big time when they need a pick here or a pick there when it really counts.

Are there any articles that state the Skins offered? I agree that it would be difficult for the Skins to give up a 3rd but I still think they would have done it. The point I'm still trying to make is that the Broncos STILL selected Orton even though the Skins had higher selections in the draft and supposedly a 'better Qb' in Campbell.

Bears gave up 18th pick

Skins had the 13th pick

Next years 1st round depends on where the team fall in terms of record so that could be 1st pick or 32 pick.

Bears gave up 84th pick in 3rd round

Skins had the 80th pick in the 3rd round

Better QB and better picks, then why did they take Orton?

My guess is that the Redskins were not offering the third rounder in the first place. Campbell and two firsts were already the max they were willing to give up. JMO.

They will reassure to Campbell that both of them have no idea what they are doing.

I hope JC has a monster year and put the FO through the ringer with a new contract.

If JC looks bad and somehow Colt finds his way onto the field then all this is a MOOT point and the FO looks like they actually can evaluate talent. I doubt this will happen.

Fixed it for you

You guys do realize that the Broncos CHOSE KYLE Orton OVER Jason Campbell right?

Not to mention NO other teams that desperately needed a QB wanted him.

What does that tell you?

It tells me that you have zero idea what you are talking about.

Thurtyfive2seven will you please post the memo or email from Snyder or Cerrato to the other clubs which you speak asking for a trade with Campbell. Also, please submit all those "other teams" replies saying that they have no interest in him.

The truth is that you are just running your mouth and dribbling all over this board because you are not happy with Jason Campbell yet. You love to throw the baby out with the bathwater because you are just a fan and it doesn't take anything out of your pocket if the Redskins make the wrong move and ditch a good young quarterback.

You cannot site even one example of the Redskins shopping Jason around to other teams. You have no knowledge at all. You are in fact just making stuff up as you go along, isn't that right Thirtyfive2seven?

Go ahead, if you are still on this board, site the examples of those teams that needed a QB and show us when the Redskins contacted them.

As we move into this season, it will be interesting to keep track of your posts if the Redskins are winning and Jason Campbell is performing at a high level.

We're waiting Thirstyfive2seven............and waiting....and waiting...

Pro scout, while your waiting. What our your expectations for JC this year?? Throw out some numbers. At what point does he get a new contract, YDS TDs and wins. Give us something to hold you to. We all know JZ overcoaches. But what should we look for in JC. If he plays like he did last year do we keep him??

You cannot site even one example of the Redskins shopping Jason around to other teams. You have no knowledge at all. You are in fact just making stuff up as you go along, isn't that right Thirtyfive2seven?

Hey Pro scout, I don't pretend to have insider knowledge of what is going on inside the Redskins organization. I heard on ESPN that the skins were attempting to acquire a 2nd round pick for Jason Campbell, Pro scout. Did you miss that one Pro Scout?

The truth is that you are just running your mouth and dribbling all over this board because you are not happy with Jason Campbell yet.

What are you doing now? I have an opinion and I clearly stated it. I could careless if you don't like it PRO SCOUT.

Go ahead, if you are still on this board, site the examples of those teams that needed a QB and show us when the Redskins contacted them. As we move into this season, it will be interesting to keep track of your posts if the Redskins are winning and Jason Campbell is performing at a high level. We're waiting Thirstyfive2seven............and waiting....and waiting...

Maybe you should go back and read my other posts where I stated that I was speculating?

Who **** in your cornflakes? and are you really sitting around waiting for my reply? That's sad. even more sad that you, pro scout, are going to keep track of my posts during the season. Obviously you don't read anything else I have posted, in which I clearly state that only want what is best for the Redskins and I absolutely want JC to succeed because it means the Redskins will win. Ok Pro scout. Oh and I've been here much longer than you and will be long after you have gone pro scout.

ok pro scout?

How does Byron coming to town reassure Campbell?

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe during their conversation they told him that they are going to bring in some competition to push him because Collins wasn't exactly getting it done. Not to mention that 1 million dollar salary due to Collins.

Here's why I don't believe JLC and have more faith in an article from the Wash. Times.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblo...d-out-skins-1/

Click link for entire article

Leftwich worked out for Skins

Redskins 360

POSTED April 04

David Elfin

As if the Redskins hadn't made enough quarterback news this week by trying to trade with Denver for Jay Cutler (who wound up in Chicago) and shopping incumbent starter Jason Campbell, Washington brought Byron Leftwich in for a workout on Friday, a team official confirmed to me moments ago.

That same official emphasized that Leftwich's visit was not a further reflection of the organization's lack of faith in Campbell and that the Redskins want Leftwich to compete not to start but for the backup job with 37-year-old Todd Collins, who has a $1.9 million base salary and would count just $1 million against the cap if cut, and Colt Brennan, who didn't play as a rookie in 2008.

However, Leftwich wants to compete for a starting position and has told friends that if that opportinity doesn't materialize, that he would prefer to remain in Pittsburgh. The Steelers have said they want Leftwich to return but haven't offered him a contract. Neither have the Redskins, whose current modus operandi is minimum-salary deals.

A star at H.D. Woodson High in the District and then at Marshall University, the 29-year-old Leftwich was Jacksonville's first-round pick in the 2003 draft. He led the Jaguars to the playoffs in 2005 but injured an ankle in 2006 and never regained his job from David Garrard. Leftwich was a backup with Atlanta in 2007. He joined the Steelers last August after veteran backup Charlie Batch suffered a season-ending broken collarbone. Leftwich's most extensive action last season came against the Redskins as he replaced the injured Ben Roethlisberger and stretched a 10-6 halftime edge to a 23-6 victory.

So, if Leftwich signs then it brings up the question of does JC stay or go. It very well could turn out that Leftwich re-signs with Pittsburgh if he isn't given the chance to compete for starting QB.

Something tells me that maybe our involvement in this whole trade has been overblown. Anyone ever think we just had draft picks on the table?

Leftwich is a backup.

I don't know what was on the table for Cutler. But BL won't sign on to be back up here. I trust what he says more then anything else. There is something going on!!!!

Archived