Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chinese Develop Special "Kill Weapon" to Destroy U.S. Aircraft Carriers

Chump Bailey

Are You Upset  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Upset

• Was Circumcised; Fine With It
    • Was Circumcised; Not Fine With It (Wish I Wasn't)
    • Not Circumcised; Fine With It
    • Not Circumcised; Not Fine With It (Wish I Was)
    • Other/Don't Care

https://www.usni.org/forthemedia/ChineseKillWeapon.asp

Report: Chinese Develop Special "Kill Weapon" to Destroy U.S. Aircraft Carriers

Advanced missile poses substantial new threat for U.S. Navy

U. S. Naval Institute

March 31, 2009

With tensions already rising due to the Chinese navy becoming more aggressive in asserting its territorial claims in the South China Sea, the U.S. Navy seems to have yet another reason to be deeply concerned.

After years of conjecture, details have begun to emerge of a "kill weapon" developed by the Chinese to target and destroy U.S. aircraft carriers.

First posted on a Chinese blog viewed as credible by military analysts and then translated by the naval affairs blog Information Dissemination, a recent report provides a description of an anti-ship ballistic missile (ASBM) that can strike carriers and other U.S. vessels at a range of 2000km.

The range of the modified Dong Feng 21 missile is significant in that it covers the areas that are likely hot zones for future confrontations between U.S. and Chinese surface forces.

The size of the missile enables it to carry a warhead big enough to inflict significant damage on a large vessel, providing the Chinese the capability of destroying a U.S. supercarrier in one strike.

Because the missile employs a complex guidance system, low radar signature and a maneuverability that makes its flight path unpredictable, the odds that it can evade tracking systems to reach its target are increased. It is estimated that the missile can travel at mach 10 and reach its maximum range of 2000km in less than 12 minutes.

Supporting the missile is a network of satellites, radar and unmanned aerial vehicles that can locate U.S. ships and then guide the weapon, enabling it to hit moving targets.

Visit link rest of article...

If it needs satellites, we probably have something that can disable them. We can jam radar, and (hopefully) could detect and shoot down UAVs. That's a scarry thought though...

I imagine that we've had people working on this since the first rumors of this came out years ago.

Just wondering, if we were ever to go to war with China, what are the chances of us coming out the victor?

What kind of war? Conventional? Defending Taiwan? I think we'd probably do ok in any kind of war other than invading China (not sure why we would ever do that). We would get hurt pretty bad, but I think we would win.

What kind of war? Conventional? Defending Taiwan? I think we'd probably do ok in any kind of war other than invading China (not sure why we would ever do that). We would get hurt pretty bad, but I think we would win.

Australia would sit out any conflict with China concerning Taiwan. I doubt any European ally would assist with the possible exception of the British. India might.

I'm also wondering, why does this article state the the missile is for attacking US ships? Why not anyone else? Why not just for general defense?

The more I think about it, the more it sounds like some sort of scare tactic but I can't figure out what the reasoning behind that would be.

Just wondering, if we were ever to go to war with China, what are the chances of us coming out the victor?

Oh we would win. But it would be bloody. Such a ship killer missile would be very deadly and I would assume that most of it is true.

That said, in any war with China, every ship capable of launching that missile needs to go down ASAP, leaving all remaining missiles coming from China itself and giving a known safe range where we can sit out of reach. I'm assuming we will still dominate the air so they wont be able to air launch on us to extend range. In the first few moments of a war though, China could do a lot of damage with such a missile. We would surely lose some ships.

That too. We will likely never go to war with China because we are their number one customer.

Germany's number one trading partner pre-WWII was France. After they started fighting France and Britian, there number on trading partner was Russia.

There is more commerce across the Palestanian/Isreali border then for either one to any other "country".

Germany's number one trading partner pre-WWII was France. After they started fighting France and Britian, there number on trading partner was Russia.

There is more commerce across the Palestanian/Isreali border then for either one to any other "country".

To stop the bleeding caused by Peter and his always welcome good news... :silly:

Think of it like this. Our number one threat has JUST NOW come to realize how to take out our carriers. I think that, relatively speaking, we shouldn't be too concerned as long as we keep moving forward.

Archived