Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chinese Develop Special "Kill Weapon" to Destroy U.S. Aircraft Carriers

Chump Bailey

Are You Upset  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Upset

• Was Circumcised; Fine With It
    • Was Circumcised; Not Fine With It (Wish I Wasn't)
    • Not Circumcised; Fine With It
    • Not Circumcised; Not Fine With It (Wish I Was)
    • Other/Don't Care

And even then, special forces from around the world are notoriously over-rated. Especially the Israelis.

Read Vengeance a while back... who trains Israeli agents and special forces? You guessed it, Americans. :doh: Oh, and without our aid and military hardware they're little more than a third world army.

However, British SAS- they're probably the only force in the world that rivals Navy SEALS

Say that to a Force Recon Marine.

The U.S. would have the advantage with BY FAR the largest and most advanced navy in the world as well as the most advanced air force (F22 FTW). The same is true about or air force. The casualties would be huge but our technology would likely pay off.

The same thing was said before we went into Vietnam.

The same thing was said before we went into Vietnam.

Thr kind of stuff militaries had in the 60's was nothing compared to now. The obvious gap in technology would be much more present now.

As far as atomic warheads, that would be a problem but we do have an extensive missile defense system thanks to the MDA (Missile Defense Agency).

Dunno which is scarier. The folks who are confident that we can beat Chna in a war because we'll just use nukes, or the people who are confident because "we do have an extensive missile defense system".

Both are very scary.

But regardless, I think China still knows full well that its best option is to continue economic growth. We still have many "American" companies bending over backwards to get into the Chinese market.

Dunno which is scarier. The folks who are confident that we can beat Chna in a war because we'll just use nukes, or the people who are confident because "we do have an extensive missile defense system".

The bat**** crazy ones with nukes

I'll never forget seeing the live-fire exercise with the R2D2. That thing is just nasty.

Later, I got to take a look at the ammo. I have no idea what caliber it was but it looked like a miniature tank shell :yikes:

I was on a carrier for a live-fire R2D2 exercise at sea in the late 90s. They let us sit in the control room way down in the bowels of the ship -- after covering up certain classified monitors, of course.

We waited for what seemed like ages as the guy in charge of the exercise (an Admiral? Dunno) was giving orders to our command room over the PA: making sure everything was ready, making sure it was ready again, making sure the system was standing by, picking noses, etc. We were steaming south off the Atlantic coast so the exercise involved firing one of the port R2-D2s out toward the bulk of the Atlantic. Finally, after 10 minutes or so the fire command was given and we heard an incredibly rapid "BRRRRRRRRRRR-P" from all the way down in the center of the ship. It must have been insanely loud topside.

Then the Big Cheese came back on the PA and said, "That was great guys -- but next time maybe you should fire the PORT unit."

You could tell who was going to get their asses bitten off later, because they were the only guys in the room not laughing.

Interesting moments in national security.

I was given a couple of the empty shell casings, still tied together in series, after the firing exercise. The things were gigantic. But I seem to recall that some of the guys permanently aboard the ship were skeptical about the value of the system because it "converts an incoming Mach 5 object into a bunch of smaller incoming Mach 5 objects" and their definition of success was not getting hit with any Mach 5 object at all. To me that seemed too rosy an expectation, but I kept my mouth shut.

But I seem to recall that some of the guys permanently aboard the ship were skeptical about the value of the system because it "converts an incoming Mach 5 object into a bunch of smaller incoming Mach 5 objects" and their definition of success was not getting hit with any Mach 5 object at all. To me that seemed too rosy an expectation, but I kept my mouth shut.

It's designed for shooting down incoming cruise missiles. They're subsonic. (The antiship weapons may be different, but I've read that the anti-tank weapons have to be well subsonic, because if the missile is traveling any faster when it hits, then the impact will ruin the pretty shaped charge in the warhead before the explosives can form the penetrator. If the missile flies faster, then it doesn't penetrate the skin.)

And in any case, getting hit by the broken pieces of a missile (which don't explode) is still way better.

(But I can certainly understand the Navy's belief that it's a lot better to shoot down the enemy before he even gets close enough to launch the missiles. Killing an enemy before he fires is a lot better than trying to shoot down the bullets he fires.)

Hey bud, thanks for putting words in my mouth! Appreciate it. I never said that our system made me confident that we could beat China or that it was in any way a reason why we have an advantage. I said we have a system meaning unlike China we have missile defense to an extent. Now in a full fledged nuclear war that'd go to waste but it's still there. Anyway, you really took that out of context..if you'd read through the thread you'd see the post I made stating our air force/navy both of which are the world's largest and most advanced are the reason I think we'd have some advantage.

Actually, I've argued for a long time that nuclear weapons is the reason why I want us to have the best kick-butt military in the world. My reasoning is that I don't ever want the CJCS to say:

Mr. President, you have two choices:

1) Go nuclear

2) Lose the war.

I want us to have the ability to win without them.

Actually, I've argued for a long time that nuclear weapons is the reason why I want us to have the best kick-butt military in the world. My reasoning is that I don't ever want the CJCS to say:

Mr. President, you have two choices:

1) Go nuclear

2) Lose the war.

I want us to have the ability to win without them.

But doesn't that giver our enemy the need to win with them?

In regards to who'd win.. If we invaded China, we'd get our asses handed to us point blank, sorry. However the same goes for China or anyone else that ever tries to invade this country.. You wouldn't invade a country where not only the military is armed to the teeth but half the civilian population is too.

If that ever were to happen, which I doubt it will, I wonder if any gun control people would still exist.

Archived