Redskins Won't Draft DE Now

bulldog

Are you happy with Haynesworth?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Haynesworth?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Indifferent.

There are some assumptions made by the OP. The big one is that Daniels and Wynn are locks to make the team. The only DE who is a lock to make the team is Carter and that's due to his contract. Everyone else can be cut.

Second, there is the assumption that even with these signings that we aren't looking to improve the talent level at end. I can't see anyone looking at our roster and seeing that we can't improve there. Personally, I look at a lot of these signings as to make sure that we aren't lacking at critical positions when the season comes around, and quality DEs are not easy to find.

Now, I've been on record that I don't think it is likely that we will go DE in the first round. There are just too many hybrid guys which really doesn't fit what we do. It doesn't mean, tho, that we won't find guys later in the draft that fit what we do better than the guys at the top of the draft.

No the Skins probably won't draft defensive end because we just signed one, but then again we had a pro bowl tight end last year and I never thought that the Skins would use a 2nd round pick on a tight end. It happens.

The Redskins could very well pick a defensive end. It happens. (they could also pick a tight end)

Don't agree at all! The Redskins will draft who the best player is at the 13th pick, or if we trade down, whatever pick we are slotted at.

If the best player is a DE, DT, LB, OL, we will take that player.

If you just cancel out a position, because we have enough players there, you will have a bad draft.

This doesn't mean we will have a great draft, but at least we are picking the player they feel is the best left.

-I Dissagree

-I Hope they will take the best player avalible at either the OL, or OLB. DE can be addressed later on like in the 6th, the other 2 positions are in much greater need of help than DE.

I was listening to an interview with Vinny on Sirius NFL Radio and he said that Wilson is working @ SAM backer, maybe a role similar to the role Washington played when healthy.

That would be nice, since I have been suggesting this for a year. Maybe Vinnie is finally reading my posts.:chair:

I HIGHLY doubt this means they won't draft a DE. This is because we NEEDED DE help!!! Without the signing of Wynn and Daniels, that would have left Carter and Wilson as the starters with Jackson and Buzbee as backups? I mean come on!!!!

Rookie DE's rarely make an impact. I am willing to be they still draft one, and just don't want to have to rely on him.

we just have to hope to god right now that chris wilson can be effective with haynesworth next to him on passing downs. daniels and wynn will help our run D even more, especially daniels because thats pretty much all he can do. but this should potentially increase the workload for wilson and buzbee (if hes healthy). i guess im ok with this for this season if it means we can get some legit youth on the OL. but for the love of god, this will be year 12 without a DE or DT on day one of the draft. maybe we snag a pass rusher in the 3rd? ugh, what am i talking about, its vinny.

and we will NOT draft the best player available, thats comlete nonsense. if beanie wells or knowshown moreno are sitting there when we draft, we will not be selecting them, even if they are the BPA.

bpa = BS

especially when you have holes like we do. BPA is for complete teams like the steelers, or teams with a billion draft picks like the eagles. we are neither of these.

The problem i have with us drafting a DE is that too many of the high rated ones are more pass rushers and less run stoppers and a lot of the talk is only about how fast they are how quick at the snap etc, and the last thing we need is a liability against the run on the edge. As a result he probably wouldnt see enough playing time early on to justify such a high selection. Instead, at OT and OLB there could be legit and #13 worthy guys to pick from. I wouldnt mind if we could get Maualuga or Cushing or Oher or Andre Smith.

While I agree that a RT or a OLB (with pass rush skills please) are fine selections, I disagree that we should avoid drafting a DE because most (if not all) are "more pass rushers and less run stoppers".

That's exactly what this team has needed for nearly two decades. The ability to generate a pass rush and thus disrupt the passing game and cause more turnonvers has been the achilles heel of this team forever.

The excuse "well this guy is a tweener or he's just a pass rusher" doesn't pass the smell test anymore. An imaginitive defensive coordinator can help in filling any hole that a pass rusher might give up in the running game. Richie Petitbon did it for years with Dexter Manley (though Dexter was a hellva alot better against the run than some people have given him credit for).

What I am tired of is the same song and dance we hear every year.

I'm won't scream bloody murder on draft day if we do go with a RT or OLB (two positions of great need) but we had better be looking for more "Dexter Manley" type players and less "Phillip Daniels/Renaldo Wynn" type players at defensive end if we actually want to have a Championship Defense and not just a cosmetically highly ranked defense.

I was listening to an interview with Vinny on Sirius NFL Radio and he said that Wilson is working @ SAM backer, maybe a role similar to the role Washington played when healthy.

That's good news. I have been wondering why they don't at least TRY to have Wilson play such a role.

and we will NOT draft the best player available, thats comlete nonsense. if beanie wells or knowshown moreno are sitting there when we draft, we will not be selecting them, even if they are the BPA.

bpa = BS

especially when you have holes like we do. BPA is for complete teams like the steelers, or teams with a billion draft picks like the eagles. we are neither of these.

See I diagree. The last time we made a sure fire NEED pick was probably (take your pick) the year we drafted Rogers and Campbell. In recent years we drafted Landry when we had Sean Taylor, we drafted two WR and a Tight End when we had Cooley. Personally if the best Tackles/DE are not there and no LB looks good, I'd be happy taking a RB.

See I diagree. The last time we made a sure fire NEED pick was probably (take your pick) the year we drafted Rogers and Campbell. In recent years we drafted Landry when we had Sean Taylor, we drafted two WR and a Tight End when we had Cooley. Personally if the best Tackles/DE are not there and no LB looks good, I'd be happy taking a RB.

Even then, looking at the 2005 draft, there weren't too many other options at #9 that would have been a good fit. BPA isn't just about talent, but how that talent fits with your team.

Even then, looking at the 2005 draft, there weren't too many other options at #9 that would have been a good fit. BPA isn't just about talent, but how that talent fits with your team.

Correct, BPA, IMHO, doesn't necessarily mean THE best player on the board at the time.

Don't draft just to draft meaning if the FO determines that the LB's available at 13 are not worth the 13th pick then don't draft them.

Also, why draft a tweener DE that is better suited for a 3-4 defense. Why would Blache want a player that doesn't fit his system. Taylor struggled last year because he was getting old, got injured and because he was not a great fit in our defensive system.

Put me down on record as stating the skins will take a OT or LB with their first selection in the draft. Why, because there should be a player available at one of those positions that fills a need and the FO feels is BPA at the time of the selection. Whether that be at 13 or lower from a trade down scenario.

Now, that said, a surprise BPA selection would be to select a QB with the 13th pick. I don't think that would happen, but that would a case where the FO thought the QB would be a future starter in the NFL and the best player on the board.

Fred Jones? What if the BPA at 13 is Sanchez. Skins would be derilect if they passed on him in favoir of a project or a four-year running back ... Sanchez is gonna be an elite 10-year-at-least Super Bowl NFL Franchise QB with "it." BPA means the suspension of logic to avoid having a potential "super star" go to another team.

Going back to the OP, these signings mean absolutely nothing. They are one year terms and a short fix at best. I still think if we choose a DE in the draft you may see one of these guys cut.

I would love to see A. Smith at #13. If not trade down pickup a late first round RT and draft DE/OLB with the additional pixs.

BPA should always be the philosophy. But here's the catch:

It should always be BPA at your positions of need.

The only time that should change is if you're comfortable with every position, or comfortable enough with every position to just pikc the best available player.

Fred Jones? What if the BPA at 13 is Sanchez. Skins would be derilect if they passed on him in favoir of a project or a four-year running back ... Sanchez is gonna be an elite 10-year-at-least Super Bowl NFL Franchise QB with "it." BPA means the suspension of logic to avoid having a potential "super star" go to another team.

First, if NFL FO personnel have a hard time evaluating QB's in the draft how do you know Sanchez will be a "10 year-at-least SB NFL Franchise QB"?

One of the reasons I don't name players is because I am not a FO NFL personnel guy. Every year on this board and others 1 or 2 people get the picks right. Well, the other 3000 got the pick wrong and incorrectly evaluated the talent of the player coming out of college.

Now, if your the guy that said Tom Brady was going to the HOF in March in the year he was drafted than perhaps you can call Sanchez a future NFL starter. Well 32 teams would pass on Brady for five rounds of that draft.

I like BPA, but my definition is different than many others. The FO creates a list of best players on their board. What they consider to be the best players. Referring to my above post the skins FO, if they evaluated Sanchez and considered him a future NFL franchise player, could select him at 13 if he is available. However, selecting QB's is never a guarantee. It is easier to evaluate a OT and safer to pick one.

So, I think it is possible, but very risky to pick Sanchez with the 13th pick. You also have to look at what the FO and coaches think of JC and his future with the team.

Rey Rey would be an interesting pick for the Skins because that would mean they project him to play Marcus' old position on strong side. I've always thought he could do well in that position, and then potentially slide inside when Fletch retires in a year or two.

I'd love to have him, he is the real deal and knows how to bring it.

Ive seen highlights, and I like this dude, but my one big problem with him is that he is said to be best at the MLB spot, which we already solid at. Does anyone know/think if Rey could shine at an OLB spot?

BPA should always be the philosophy. But here's the catch:

It should always be BPA at your positions of need.

The only time that should change is if you're comfortable with every position, or comfortable enough with every position to just pikc the best available player.

Then that's not BPA. Of course you always want the best player to help your team at a position of need. BPA is taking a guy because you have him rated higher than everybody else, regardless of his position. But I agree with your post, just the term BPA seems to be misunderstood. BPA at a position of need is entirely different. BPA would be us taking a QB or another TE if he was rated higher than say a guard, tackle or LB. Filling a position of need with the best player available is only common sense.

Archived