Redskins Won't Draft DE Now

bulldog

Are you happy with Haynesworth?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Haynesworth?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Indifferent.

with the resigning of Renaldo Wynn and the apparent agreement by Phillip Daniels to forgo further FA and sign as well IMO points the Redskins to taking either OT or LB in the draft at #13 or moving down to pick up extra picks.

Popular or not with fans that want a younger rush DE, the Redskins and Blache to me are comfortable going into 2009 with a Richie Petitbon-like platoon of Daniels and Wynn at LDE.

Neither player is in my mind capable of taking all the snaps for 16 games and being effective, but sharing the reps the Skins could get solid productivity out of this duo in the upcoming season.

While the LDE spot may not produce more than 5 or 6 sacks from these two combined, you know they are going to anchor the line against the run, playing the disciplined style that Blache favors.

Toughness on the edge was definitely an achilles heel for the Redskins last season.

Jason Taylor and Demetric Evans were blocked by tight ends when playing the Giants in 2008.

In the 4-3, that is suicide.

Again, look for OT or LB or a move down to pick up the second rounder that was flushed down the toilet in the Jason Taylor trade.

Don't agree at all! The Redskins will draft who the best player is at the 13th pick, or if we trade down, whatever pick we are slotted at.

If the best player is a DE, DT, LB, OL, we will take that player.

If you just cancel out a position, because we have enough players there, you will have a bad draft.

This doesn't mean we will have a great draft, but at least we are picking the player they feel is the best left.

I want to know where Wilson and rob Jackson fit into the plans next year. I was disappointed in Wilson last year and I thought Jackson played well enough to earn some snaps in the regular season

I hope Chris Wilson and Alex Buzbee get involved early and often this season. Wilson was awesome 2 years ago.

I hope Chris Wilson and Alex Buzbee get involved early and often this season. Wilson was awesome 2 years ago.

I just don't understand this infatuation with Buzbee.. He's an UDFA who's never played in a game, and yet he is supposed to be the reason we were fine at DE last year... And his injury is supposed to be the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of trading for Jason Taylor.

I was screaming for us to draft Jason Jones last year instead of throwing away our 3rd 2nd round pick on a pass catcher (and one with horrible knees). But I was told to shut up and not be a hater because MK was going to be awesome and just what we need because he was big and all that.

Bah. So Jason Jones goes out and puts up 5 sacks, 3 FF, and 2 passes defensed in his rookie year IN LIMITED TIME.

How good would he be looking starting at LDE instead of Daniels/Wynn?

Another screwup of our FO! Let's draft a 3rd pass catcher! Especially the one that no one else is willing to draft because his knees are so shot he'll never play a full season! Because he is tall!

we needa draft OL. im glad through FA we answered mainly our defense, cause the draft is littered with offensive talent. i wouldnt doubt us tradin down and hopin for 2 2nd rounders, and pickin up alex mack and duke robinson. and with our 3rd maybe draft another DT like ron brace or a linebacker.

What if BJ Raji fell to us at #13 like in your signature? :D

I just don't understand this infatuation with Buzbee.. He's an UDFA who's never played in a game, and yet he is supposed to be the reason we were fine at DE last year... And his injury is supposed to be the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of trading for Jason Taylor.

All I know is he is a big guy, who went to college locally to the D.C. area. I dunno if he is ever gonna be anything but hopefully he is a steal that we picked up after the draft.

Buzbee, IMO, from watching him play in the preseason when we signed him two seasons ago had a legit chance of becoming an impact player for this team. I really think had he not been injured this past offseason he would have opened up some eyes. The odds are definitely stacked against him, but I will be watching him closely in the next few months and will be rooting for him. I don't get man-crushes either. I think this guy is a football player. They've kept him around for this long and hopefully he's healthy and gets his chance.

Bulldog, I was just thinking about starting a rare thread for me with this same subject.

I don't necessarily agree with what the skins will do on the first day of the draft, but I do agree that the skins will draft OT or LB with their first pick in the draft. I would like to see OT or Dline, but that is not what the FO is going to do.

Who is there at 13 and who wants to trade back with the skins will determine who they select.

Looking back at last year's draft, the skins traded down with the intention of picking up Merling with the first second round pick. The Tuna was eyeing a QB with the first pick in the second round of the draft. A player he thought would be there.

Well, the QB was picked before Miami's pick so the Tuna selected Merling and the skins selected Thomas, a player they didn't expect to be there at their first pick.

That said, I hope a future OT is available at 13 so we don't have to hope the player we want to select lasts until the spot we trade down to.

But, bank on the skins taking a LB or Oline player with the first selection in the draft. I would say they are hoping one of the OT's is available with the 13th pick.

With the signings of Wynn and (apparently soon) Daniels, Buzbee is on the outside. Baring injuries to the guys in front of him, he would have to out-perform everyone but Carter to get a shot at the final roster. Unless we have injuries, the 4 spot DE is probably Jackson v. Wilson (I cannot see us keeping 5 DE). As of now, I'd give Jackson the edge. Of course, no one really knows how the draft (including the UDFA signings) will fall out and that could change a lot. Also, Wynn and Daniels could be signed primarily as mentors and knowledge bringers, insurance against the results of the drafts and/or insurance against injury.

I agree... this looks like where we're heading. However, I think it has more to do with our options in the draft at that position more than the Wynn and Daniels signings. Even if we were to draft a DE at pick no. 13, odds are he won't contribute at all the first year, so we still have to have a veteran stable there. I think us signing Wynn and Daniels is due to this reason, and not the other way around (that we signed them and because we signed them we won't go DE in the draft).

What I'm hoping is we find a beastly DE in the 3rd round, or better yet, the second round (if we could manage to trade down) that could prepare to take over that spot next year. Even more, I'm hoping that Alex Buzbee, Chris Wilson, or Rob Jackson really take over that spot without question. Now that'd be the best case scenario for us, though unlikely.

I was screaming for us to draft Jason Jones last year instead of throwing away our 3rd 2nd round pick on a pass catcher (and one with horrible knees). But I was told to shut up and not be a hater because MK was going to be awesome and just what we need because he was big and all that.

Bah. So Jason Jones goes out and puts up 5 sacks, 3 FF, and 2 passes defensed in his rookie year IN LIMITED TIME.

How good would he be looking starting at LDE instead of Daniels/Wynn?

Another screwup of our FO! Let's draft a 3rd pass catcher! Especially the one that no one else is willing to draft because his knees are so shot he'll never play a full season! Because he is tall!

before you rip the FO to much, remember it takes 3 years to really evaluate a draft class

With the signings of Wynn and (apparently soon) Daniels, Buzbee is on the outside. Baring injuries to the guys in front of him, he would have to out-perform everyone but Carter to get a shot at the final roster. Unless we have injuries, the 4 spot DE is probably Jackson v. Wilson (I cannot see us keeping 5 DE). As of now, I'd give Jackson the edge. Of course, no one really knows how the draft (including the UDFA signings) will fall out and that could change a lot. Also, Wynn and Daniels could be signed primarily as mentors and knowledge bringers, insurance against the results of the drafts and/or insurance against injury.

We def will keep 5 DEs. We will have 4 DT's (Haynesworth, Griff, Golston, Montgomery), we have Wynn and Daniels, who will play DT on 3rd down, and then we keep Carter, Wilson, and Jackson. Buzbee makes it over Wilson or Jackson, if he out performs them.

If Buzbee is worth all the talk, he should easily beat our either Jackson or Wilson. Regardless, we have our 5 DE's outside of the draft. That is what is so valuable with Wynn/Daniels.

Part of me feels like the coaching staff has their hopes high for Wilson, Buzbee and Jackson, but they don't want to rest the season on their shoulders. I feel like we resigned Wynn and Daniels just in case one doesn't emerge as a leader. But I think the fact that we were willing to cut ties with Daniels in the first place shows some confidence in our depth.

I can't say I have that same confidence cause I've only seen them play limited time and most of that time was in preseason. But I'm hoping we'll get some emergence from our young guys at LDE.

We def will keep 5 DEs. We will have 4 DT's (Haynesworth, Griff, Golston, Montgomery), we have Wynn and Daniels, who will play DT on 3rd down, and then we keep Carter, Wilson, and Jackson. Buzbee makes it over Wilson or Jackson, if he out performs them.

If Buzbee is worth all the talk, he should easily beat our either Jackson or Wilson. Regardless, we have our 5 DE's outside of the draft. That is what is so valuable with Wynn/Daniels.

You raise a good point with Wynn/Daniels, but I'd counter with the fact that they're both aging veterans who other teams aren't beating down doors to sign. So if Wilson, Jackson and Buzbee all have real good training camps and preseason games, then I could easily see us keeping all three of them and cutting Wynn or Daniels. The idea being that if we cut the vets we can resign them later in the season, but if we cut the young guys they're more likely to be picked up by other teams.

Maybe Wilson can be tried at SLB......he is a quicker and faster than average DE, but his lack of bulk is keeping him from any extensive playing time at the position, but he may be stout at the point of attack and a great blitzer as a SLB......:D

You raise a good point with Wynn/Daniels, but I'd counter with the fact that they're both aging veterans who other teams aren't beating down doors to sign. So if Wilson, Jackson and Buzbee all have real good training camps and preseason games, then I could easily see us keeping all three of them and cutting Wynn or Daniels. The idea being that if we cut the vets we can resign them later in the season, but if we cut the young guys they're more likely to be picked up by other teams.

I agree! My point was we will def kepp 5 DE's. That is why Wynn and Daniels were brought back.

At least one (if not both) will make it to rotate on 3rd down at DT. We will only keep 4 DT's.

Maybe Wilson can be tried at SLB......he is a quicker and faster than average DE, but his lack of bulk is keeping him from any extensive playing time at the position, but he may be stout at the point of attack and a great blitzer as a SLB......:D

I wonder if thats a possibility. I know Vinny said that Blache was considering using Taylor at Sam this year. I wonder if we could use Wilson in a similar manner.

But I'd expect that he'd be a lot better at putting pressure on the QB than at covering the TE. I really wonder if this is an option for us.

Part of me feels like the coaching staff has their hopes high for Wilson, Buzbee and Jackson, but they don't want to rest the season on their shoulders. I feel like we resigned Wynn and Daniels just in case one doesn't emerge as a leader. But I think the fact that we were willing to cut ties with Daniels in the first place shows some confidence in our depth.

I can't say I have that same confidence cause I've only seen them play limited time and most of that time was in preseason. But I'm hoping we'll get some emergence from our young guys at LDE.

Well, what we really need is for our extra-man (men) that we almost always send to get the QB more than 5 times! The 19 sacks our d-line generated last season is just below a Blache-led defense's sweet-spot. As a DC, his teams got the most sacks when he got more than half from the extra-man. In fact, from 2004, failure of the extra-man to consistently get to the QB has been the main swing variable when it comes to getting sacks. This is why if we go defense in the draft, a LB is critical given that we took care of the other critical need (or at least made a major investment in trying to fix the problem) in a Blache defense, a DT who can collapse the pocket. We also should hope that Horton really steps up as a blitzer this year.

Archived