Redskins Won't Draft DE Now

bulldog

Are you happy with Haynesworth?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Haynesworth?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Indifferent.

The year Landry was drafted, what areas would you say we wer set at?

I'd Argue the following:

Offense:

QB: JC, TC, Brunnel (cut ?), (Drafted Jordan Palmer)

RB: CP, LB, Rock, Mason (PS)

WR: Moss, ARE, Thrash, Caldwell, Mix, ??

OLine: (I think there were questions about Jansen, but not enough to say any OL position was a high high need.)

TE: I thought we were find at TE though we did draft Ecker in a later round)

Defense:

DT: We had Griffin, Big Joe, Monty, and Golston, (thought we were set, but Big Joe and griffin kind of had question marks, and we didn't know what we had in monty and Golston.) Most of us thougth a stud DT would do a lot for the unit

DE: Carter, Wynn, Daniels (don't recall who else was there) DE was another area we felt was lacking badly.

LB: McIntosh, Fletcher, Washington, Kerry Campbell, and that guy taht went to the bengals. (Drafted Blades, Sartz)

CB: Smoot, Springs, Rogers, Torrence, I wasn't 100% on Springs, but felt we had done well

Safety: Doughty, Taylor.

Looking back, The areas of need I thought were more on the Dline then at the Corner. We griped about how we had hoped to get a bit more out of our D-line put more pressure as I recall. Safety was a position most on this board didn't factor as a need. (granted we have the death of Sean hindsight)

like i said, i would have taken okoye, which is what i was hoping for. but, replacing doughty was definitely a top 2 need. i agree, corner was the other, but there were no corners where we drafted that were worth that pick. and im sure we attempted to trade down from that spot as well. the next CBs were taken at 14 and 18, definitely too high for us. so like i said before, hopefully we attempted to trade down, and we obviously couldnt, so we took the BPA at a position of need, SS.

and i think we can both agree from what you said as well, defensive backfield and DL were a position of need. vinny runs this team so you know we werent picking DL, so landry was the BPA for our defensive backfield need.

like i said, i would have taken okoye, which is what i was hoping for. but, replacing doughty was definitely a top 2 need. i agree, corner was the other, but there were no corners where we drafted that were worth that pick. and im sure we attempted to trade down from that spot as well. the next CBs were taken at 14 and 18, definitely too high for us. so like i said before, hopefully we attempted to trade down, and we obviously couldnt, so we took the BPA at a position of need, SS.

and i think we can both agree from what you said as well, defensive backfield and DL were a position of need. vinny runs this team so you know we werent picking DL, so landry was the BPA for our defensive backfield need.

I think we agree on that none of the CBs taken early seemed worth it;

here's what went on in the first round that year.

2007 - Round 1Sel #PlayerPositionSchoolTeam

1 JaMarcus Russell QB (Jury Still out)

2 Calvin Johnson WR Oakland Raiders (Great Pick)

3 Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin Cleveland Browns (Good Pick)

4 Gaines Adams DE Clemson Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Good Pick)

5 Levi Brown OT Penn State Arizona Cardinals (Good Pick)

6LaRon Landry SS Louisiana StateWashington Redskins (Great pick)

7Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma Minnesota Vikings (Great Pick)

8Jamaal Anderson DE Arkansas Atlanta Falcons (Potential bust)

9Ted Ginn Jr. WR Ohio State Miami Dolphins (Potential bust)

10Amobi Okoye DT Louisville Houston Texans (Okay Pick, possible bust)

11Patrick Willis ILB Mississippi San Francisco 49ers (Good Pick)

12Marshawn Lynch RB California Buffalo Bills (Good Pick)

13Adam Carriker NT Nebraska St. Louis Rams (Potential Bust)

14Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh New York Jets (Good Pick)

15Lawrence Timmons LB Florida State Pittsburgh Steelers

16Justin Harrell DT Tennessee Green Bay Packers (Bust!)

17Jarvis Moss DE Florida Denver Broncos (Bust)

18Leon Hall CB Michigan Cincinnati Bengals (Jury still out)

19 Michael Griffin FS Texas Tennessee Titans (Good Pick)

20Aaron Ross CB Texas New York Giants (Jury Still Out)

21Reggie Nelson FS Florida Jacksonville Jaguars (Good Pick)

22Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame Cleveland Browns (Jury still out)

23Dwayne Bowe WR Louisiana State Kansas City Chiefs (Potential Bust)

24Brandon Meriweather DB Miami (Fla.) New England Patriots (Good Pick)

25Jon Beason MLB Miami (Fla.) Carolina Panthers (Potential Bust)

26Anthony Spencer OLB Purdue Dallas Cowboys (Good Pick)

27Robert Meachem WR Tennessee New Orleans Saints (Bust!)

28Joe Staley OT Central Michigan San Francisco 49ers (Not sure?)

29Ben Grubbs GAuburn Baltimore Ravens (Good Pick)

30Craig Davis WR Louisiana State San Diego Chargers (Likely Bust)

31Greg Olsen TE Miami (Fla.) Chicago Bears (Good Pick)

32Anthony Gonzalez WR Ohio State Indianapolis Colts (Good Pick)

Revis is maybe the only corner that I liked in that years draft, and I agree he wasn't rated that highly. Come to thinking about it how many of the players drafted that year were not busts? Okoye is probably the only guy I'd have considered, even though I thought that Peterson was going to be a stud, I didn't have him rated high enough to justify taking him over landry

vinny runs this team so you know...

...that the next Ray Guy might not really be the next Ray Guy. And a 6th rounder who does play a position of need might end up starting over the fourth rounder you picked for that same position. I'm not going way back for this...just sayin...

It's short sighted to completely ignore BPA, but a guy has to be an exceptional case to stand head and shoulders above the guy you need to play games. And you have to consider the guy who's doing the rating and picking too by his track record. If you are going to gamble, and every pick is a gamble to some degree, make sure the pot is legal tender in your neighborhood. If you can't spend the winnings, what's the point of tossing in your ante?

6LaRon Landry SS Louisiana StateWashington Redskins (Great pick)

11Patrick Willis ILB Mississippi San Francisco 49ers (Good Pick)

14Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh New York Jets (Good Pick)

18Leon Hall CB Michigan Cincinnati Bengals (Jury still out)

19 Michael Griffin FS Texas Tennessee Titans (Good Pick)

20Aaron Ross CB Texas New York Giants (Jury Still Out)

21Reggie Nelson FS Florida Jacksonville Jaguars (Good Pick)

24Brandon Meriweather DB Miami (Fla.) New England Patriots (Good Pick)

25Jon Beason MLB Miami (Fla.) Carolina Panthers (Potential Bust)

Uh, in what universe is Landry a "great" pick but Willis only a "good" pick? Landry is "great" but Beason is "a potential bust"? WTF? And the rest: Revis just "good"? Nelson just "good"? Hall "jury still out"?

Landry has shown some potential, but he hasn't dominated.

So far in two seasons:

6. Landry: 160 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 ints (Great?)

11. Willis: 315 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 int, 1 TD (2 Pro Bowls, 1 DROY, 2 All Pros) (Just Good?)

14. Revis: 145 tackles, 1 sack, 8 ints, 1 TD (1 Pro Bowl) (Good?)

18. Hall: 144 tackles, 0 sacks, 8 ints, 1 TD (Jury out?)

19. Griffin: 129 tackles, 1 sack, 10 ints, 1 TD (1 Pro Bowl) (Just Good?)

20. Ross: 94 tackels, 1.5 sacks, 6 ints, 2 TDs (Jury still out?)

21. Nelson: 117 tackes, 1 sack, 7 ints (Just Good?)

24. Meriweather: 111 tackles, 2 sacks, 4 ints (Good?)

25. Beason: 278 tackles, 0 sacks, 4 ints (1 Pro Bowl, 1 All Pro) (POTENTIAL BUST??? WTF???)

How on earth can you suggest Landry was a better pick than Willis, Beason, Griffin, or Revis?

Arguably each of those players has been a better pick than Landry. And arguably they all have made a bigger impact than Landry despite his draft location. And if there was a re-draft, many would be picked ahead of him. I fail to see how you see Landry as a great pick and question the rest.

Just to be clear: I'm not knocking Landry. I like him as a player. I'm just suggesting that he hasn't lived up to his draft position yet. He has a ton of potential, and I'd like to see him live up to it. But as of right now, he has not. He hasn't lived up to a top 10 pick, and many of the defensive players drafted behind him have shown more.

I'm hoping he changes that trend this year.

Just to be clear: I'm not knocking Landry. I like him as a player. I'm just suggesting that he hasn't lived up to his draft position yet. He has a ton of potential, and I'd like to see him live up to it. But as of right now, he has not. He hasn't lived up to a top 10 pick, and many of the defensive players drafted behind him have shown more.

I'm hoping he changes that trend this year.

i personally dont think we'll ever see landry emerge as a legit beast. our defense hinders his abilities to make huge plays because we play the bend dont break prevent stuff. he plays 25 yards off the LOS scrimmage most of the game, the only chance he has to make plays is breaking up deep passes.

OK, then explain how Davis has helped the team like a second rounder should be expected to. Or in any manner. How many plays of 2 TE sets per game do you expect us to run? And then, compare that to how many plays we use a guard or tackle and how badly those positions have proved to be depthless the last couple years. Has Cooley dropped off? Has he become injury prone? No, he's held in to block because our OL can't get it done. How does Davis fix that?

Considering that there was a grand total of 2 OL picked in the second round, it doesn't seem to be a prime place to pick one. Course, then we picked an OL in the next round to address the main OL hole identified last offseason, which was the fact it was Kendall's final year of his contract and we needed to replace that stopgap.

I'm not knocking Davis or his talent, it's ignoring our lines for another year that I find perplexing. I would have been happier taking a 3rd WR, another glaring hole we have, than stacking talent on the bench behind a Pro Bowl TE.

So, you'd rather have a logjam at the WR position, knowing that someone is going to be an odd man out, rather than increase our depth at TE? Particularly when you probably use Davis like a WR?

i personally dont think we'll ever see landry emerge as a legit beast. our defense hinders his abilities to make huge plays because we play the bend dont break prevent stuff. he plays 25 yards off the LOS scrimmage most of the game, the only chance he has to make plays is breaking up deep passes.

You don't think that having a Safety that you can leave deep all by himself isn't worth something? He's a big reason why teams don't throw deep on us.

We'll address Safety next season when we draft Taylor Mays, USC. Dirty 30 can go back to crowding the line and blitzing, but I hope Horton works out because I actually had him in my mock last season, but we'll see.

Yes I do realize that to get Mays we'll have to be what top 10? Which means Zorn will be gone and most likely JC, so yes it wont happen.

You don't think that having a Safety that you can leave deep all by himself isn't worth something? He's a big reason why teams don't throw deep on us.

true, but hes never going to be a playmaker. hes more like a play preventer. hes never gonna make any highlight reel plays, hes never going to make a probowl like that. he works in our defense, and its good that he does.

but he will never be allowed to be a real ball hawk, which i would bet his abilities are great. we will never know as long as blache is here.

dont get me wrong, i like landry and hes awesome for our team. but to think he'll be like an adrian wilson or polomolou, i dont think thats happening in our scheme.

dont get me wrong, i like landry and hes awesome for our team. but to think he'll be like an adrian wilson or polomolou, i dont think thats happening in our scheme.

Landry is a top safety in the NFL, he's just been asked to play different roles every year. Remember, even ST had a down year in 2006. Landry is a playmaker, just wasn't given the opportunity last year because the Skins played cover 2 a lot. Teams game planned around him so you didn't see his name on Sportscenter, but that doesnt mean he wasnt effective. The fact that opposing OC's game planned around him says a few things about a 2nd year player.

Landry is talented in the mold of Ed Reed, just wasn't given the same opportunity as Ed. With BigAl in the middle his opportunities will rise up in 2009, just watch.

So, you'd rather have a logjam at the WR position, knowing that someone is going to be an odd man out, rather than increase our depth at TE? Particularly when you probably use Davis like a WR?

I didn't see Davis get used as a WR. I didn't see Kelly or Thomas there much either. Of course with a superstar like Thrash, it was difficult to get them time.

Please, let's stop with the "oh, but we are going to play him at another position" BS. We can't even get a PB DE to move to the other side with any real success. On another thread, they are proposing Campbell splits wide and runs after passes. This is silly. If you want to use a guy like a WR, you get a WR. I really don't see a logjam of talent at the position to answer your question. Do you?

Landry is a top safety in the NFL, he's just been asked to play different roles every year. Remember, even ST had a down year in 2006. Landry is a playmaker, just wasn't given the opportunity last year because the Skins played cover 2 a lot. Teams game planned around him so you didn't see his name on Sportscenter, but that doesnt mean he wasnt effective. The fact that opposing OC's game planned around him says a few things about a 2nd year player.

Landry is talented in the mold of Ed Reed, just wasn't given the same opportunity as Ed. With BigAl in the middle his opportunities will rise up in 2009, just watch.

Completely agree. I know we all love ST, but you have got to give it up to the other half of area 51. He will start knockin people out, pickin people off, makin huge plays.

lets hope he gets those chances in 2009. i have no doubt that he'd make the best of those opportunities, i just dont see those kind of opportunities for our defense when landry is playing 30 yards deep.

lets hope he gets those chances in 2009. i have no doubt that he'd make the best of those opportunities, i just dont see those kind of opportunities for our defense when landry is playing 30 yards deep.

He HAD to play 25 yards backs because the Skins were getting no pressure on the QB.

Of course you hope he gets more chances to blitz and make plays close to the LOS, but that's a luxury the Skins couldn't afford in 2008 as he was arguably their best cover guy. I don't recall seeing the ball go over his head many times, so that means he did what he was asked to do, and did it well. That's all you can hope for when that is what the defense is calling for.

In 2009 it's safe to assume the Skins will be able to get more pressue, which makes Landry even MORE effective because the DC can move him around the formation and not commit him to ONLY stopping the deep ball.

If I remember correctly landry was effective in 2007 at rushing the passer, picking up fumbles and rumbling for yardage, and didn't he pick off hasselbeck twice in Seattle?

Landry is a playmaker.

He HAD to play 25 yards backs because the Skins were getting no pressure on the QB.

Of course you hope he gets more chances to blitz and make plays close to the LOS, but that's a luxury the Skins couldn't afford in 2008 as he was arguably their best cover guy. I don't recall seeing the ball go over his head many times, so that means he did what he was asked to do, and did it well. That's all you can hope for when that is what the defense is calling for.

In 2009 it's safe to assume the Skins will be able to get more pressue, which makes Landry even MORE effective because the DC can move him around the formation and not commit him to ONLY stopping the deep ball.

If I remember correctly landry was effective in 2007 at rushing the passer, picking up fumbles and rumbling for yardage, and didn't he pick off hasselbeck twice in Seattle?

Landry is a playmaker.

right but remember he was playing SS, not FS. i have no doubt that if hes allowed to play closer to the LOS he'd be a complete monster in our scheme, i think thats why horton flourished early.

if landry and horton can both rotate, i think landry will be a legit play maker. if horton can take over some deep responsibility, it will allow them to rotate at SS/FS and both be playmakers.

but if he continues to only play deep, he'll take the deep ball away, but not much else.

Daniels on 1st down, Wynn on second and one of the young bucks or a draft pick on 3rd downs to try to bring the heat.

Then we just hope they don't run a draw on 3rd down or go deep on 1st or 2nd...

I think it will be fun the first time Haynesworth lines up outside of Daniels on the line. Everyone except Carter should be interchangeable, at least as a change of pace...

yeah veretax, youre a little off with your ratings of that draft. if anything landry is just good, and there are plenty of greats that you called good or potential bust. you obviously do not watch football other than the skins because beason is a complete monster. to call him a potential bust is pretty insane.

Here here!!! Beason is a man amoungst boys!

Ive seen highlights, and I like this dude, but my one big problem with him is that he is said to be best at the MLB spot, which we already solid at. Does anyone know/think if Rey could shine at an OLB spot?

Considering Fletch's age...I'm not sure how you could say we are solid there. I think Rey Maualuga might be our guy and he plays OLB (our SLB) at first and then moves to Mike in a year or two. Same thing was done with Crowder in MIA, same thing can be done with him.

Archived