Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Devin Thomas working out with JC

Gibbsisgod2006

I think both picks were reaches when they had the whole reciever class in front of them to choose from.

Reaches? Malcom Kelly maybe. But Devin Thomas was ranked as the best receiver in the draft on virtually every mock draft. But, he was the rawest. That's why we didn't see him have a productive season, because he was too raw to get on the field. Coach Zorn knew that, and that's why he didnt see the field as much until the end of the year when he actually started to make some plays. Malcolm Kelly was said to be one of the more polished receivers in the draft, but he couldn't stay healthy.

Reaches? Malcom Kelly maybe. But Devin Thomas was ranked as the best receiver in the draft on virtually every mock draft. But, he was the rawest. That's why we didn't see him have a productive season, because he was too raw to get on the field. Coach Zorn knew that, and that's why he didnt see the field as much until the end of the year when he actually started to make some plays. Malcolm Kelly was said to be one of the more polished receivers in the draft, but he couldn't stay healthy.

Yeah, but didn'tThomas only have one good season at a big name school? I vaguely remember something like that. Kelly and his brittle knee was a red flag before he was even drafted. Thomas was much like the rest of Vinny's decisions, a gamble. I wont lie, going into the draft, I was high on Jordy Nelson and James Hardy. While neither of them had break out rookie seasons, I still stand by my choice,a nd would still rather have them then what we (I feel) got stuck with.

Redskins WR Devin Thomas was a no-show for the start of voluntary offseason work last week. Despite the "voluntary" tag, Thomas' absence is a huge red flag after he left the Redskins with a stark impression of immaturity throughout last season. If Thomas is going to turn it around and earn the trust of teammates and coaches, he's going to have to start working like a pro -- and that obviously isn't happening.

There are about 4 aspects of this team that would be seriously boosted if Devin Thomas, along with Davis & Kelly, can contribute more to this offense.

1. Big Play threats - even if those 3 guys aren't scoring touchdowns, by becoming solid threats to move the chains, Santana should have more space to operate in. He's among the best in the NFL with the ball in space. Expect a 2005-esque year from Santana if all goes well. Maybe Portis finds his 5th gear again with a softened run D.

2. Jason Campbell & the O-line - We need improved pass protection. It's painfully obvious. Hopefully Dock and a young draft pick can help shore up the line. If #11 can get open and alleviate some of the pressure on Campbell, then the whole unit should blossom. That #2 receiving threat is the missing piece to the puzzle.

3. The D!!!!! - Still the strength of the team, with a beefed up middle. A lot is riding on Haynesworth, but seriously. That's what I call making a weakness a strength. If the offense is pulling their weight, then this D is going to be fresher and more furious then ever.

4. Stability!!!!!! - THE most important step forward for this organization. A lot of Vinny's moves will make or break this team, including bringing in Zorn as the HC. I think Zorn is the next great coach in this league, and if he shows he can get the young core from last year's draft involved in the O, he should solidify himself as the guy.

Yeah, but didn'tThomas only have one good season at a big name school? I vaguely remember something like that. Kelly and his brittle knee was a red flag before he was even drafted. Thomas was much like the rest of Vinny's decisions, a gamble. I wont lie, going into the draft, I was high on Jordy Nelson and James Hardy. While neither of them had break out rookie seasons, I still stand by my choice,a nd would still rather have them then what we (I feel) got stuck with.

Yes, Thomas did only have 1 big year at Mich. State, and i think it was his only year with the program; i may be wrong on that one though. However, that is why i said devin thomas was also the most raw receiver in the draft. The experts were pretty much saying the pick had boom bust potential. They said he could end up being elite, but at the same time it's hard to judge a receiver after being in D-1 for only one season. That is they were calling him the rawest, but they said he had the highest potential.

Well I don't know about this tread now. Why is JLC reporting different than what is being said in here.

My initial thought was to stick with the offensive-line analysis today and focus on right guard, where coaches would be pleased if a candidate emerged to push Randy Thomas. But since that candidate doesn't exist, let's look at the slugfest that features Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas and James Thrash duking it out to be the No. 3 wide receiver. It may well be that there is no competition; Thomas and Kelly could struggle just to stay on the field with any consistency -- Kelly for health reasons and Thomas for just being Thomas -- but maybe that will change for both of them in the next few months.

Kelly was drafted with this slot in mind; he was to be a big, chain-moving wide receiver who could make things happen in the red zone. Although some members of the medical staff advised against taking Kelly because of his knee issues, he was drafted and continues to have problems. He is coming off another knee surgery now and hasn't been cleared to take part in the offseason program. Getting a late start again won't help Kelly and it's difficult to imagine the knee concerns not hanging over him for a while.

Still, Kelly is a talented player. The question is whether he can become healthy enough to show off that talent on a regular basis. Pencil him in with caution at this crucial position.

Thomas was the kind of pick that, according to scouts, could either be a home run if he matured, or a strikeout. The fact that he did not show for the start of voluntary offseason work last week could cast another shadow over the kid and fuel the coaching staff's healthy skepticism. He needs to come to Redskins Park ready and eager to work all day, coming to grips with the fact that nothing he did in college matters now. He's a guy who, on pure merit and production alone last year, was not an NFL-caliber wide receiver and inspired no confidence from his teammates. He must focus on learning the playbook and route running as well as improving his work ethic and attitude.

Maybe he will turn it around. Unlike Kelly, Thomas has the power to fix his problems. If he does get on the field more often, he would not be a traditional No. 3, as Antwaan Randle El would move back to the slot. Thomas is a speed guy, an outside burner in the mold of Brandon Lloyd. He is a vertical threat to stretch things, open it up underneath, take some heat off Santana Moss as the only real deep guy on the roster.

If that fundamental element of the offense fails to materialize this season, I would expect opposing defenses to clamp down and shut out this offense, much as they did a year ago. If ithe offense consists of just Clinton Portis, Moss and Chris Cooley, this attack will likely be back in neutral.

As for James Thrash, you've got to love the guy. He's the Jason Vorhees of Ashburn. You can't get rid of him. In his mid-30s, he went from the fifth or sixth WR to the unchallenged No. 3 in 2008. Right now, he's got to be the front runner to be among the top three or four again. He can play all wide receiver spots plus tight end and H-back. He's a game blocker; he has good hands; and quarterbacks love him. His speed and raw athleticism might not be what they were and the Redskins need upgrades here, but unless last year's rookie class drastically steps up, there aren't many guys around to challenge him. And, to this point, the Skins have made no attempts to sniff around on free-agent wide receivers.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009/03/position_battle_-_no_3_wr.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

Both fighting for their NFL careers so it makes sense to me.

Good riddance, Mr. Overdramatic. A second round draft pick getting ready to enter his second season- and someone who undeniably improved down the stretch last year is hardly fighting for his career.

He should be working out with JC as much as he can, if he wants to get the ball and make a difference.

I really think, given the opportunity, that he will step up. Hopefully the staff doesn't show too much loyalty to Randle El, since he was underwhelming as a WR last year.

I'd much rather test out how Devin does split outside with Randle El in the slot.

Either you guys are blind and saw someone you thought was D. Thomas, JLC is not reporting something correctly, or we're talking about two different weeks. Which is it? Was the guy running routes for Campbell etc, or was he nowhere to be found? Please clarify.

Signed,

Mal-comb

Im going to guess:

a) JLC is a doom & gloom mediot who only reports negatively, therefore he's still reporting about DT not showing up last week when THIS week he did show up and practice with JC

B) The clip was JC and DT from last year, not this year

Im 50/50 on this one....

Im going to guess:

a) JLC is a doom & gloom mediot who only reports negatively, therefore he's still reporting about DT not showing up last week when THIS week he did show up and practice with JC

B) The clip was JC and DT from last year, not this year

Im 50/50 on this one....

Larry said that it was a clip from earlier that day.

Archived