Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook36 hates: March Madness

Westbrook36

I have Northern Iowa going to the sweet 16. I have them beating Miss State (who knocked off UDub) in Round 2. I think I also have the Hilltoppers (WKU) beating Illinois in Round 1.
Thanks, I haven't looked at the brackets to much yet, Western Kentucky (I assume that's what WKU stands for) made it last year didn't they? I am pretty sure a lady I use to work with went to WKU, she was a huge Kentuckty fan though, probably because WKU always craps the bed.

Western Kentucky had an NBA player on their roster last year, no such luck this year. Illinois by a pretty comfortable margin.

Ok, another mascot question....

The Akron Zips??

AkronZipsLogo.jpg

I initially wondered if there was some rare breed of kangaroos indigenous to Ohio, but I checked wiki and this is what they have to say:

The University of Akron's athletic teams are known as the "Zips," originally short for "Zippers," overshoes that were nationally popular in the 1920s and 1930s, and the zipper—an invention from Akron (Judson). The university's mascot is "Zippy," a kangaroo.[1] Zippy is one of only eight female college mascots in the United States. Zippy currently holds the title of Capital One National Mascot of the Year.

I bet the zips would beat the **** out of the shoelaces or buttons!!

This is where you venture into the completely absurd. Meaningless games are televised all year. College wrestling is televised .. high school basketball .. major league soccer .. water polo ... and you think that office pools are the only reason the college championship tournament of one of the most popular sports in this country is televised?

Whoooaaaa. Join date = January 2001. You sir are one of the ultimate Extremeskins lurkers.

so you hate march madness because the media hypes it too much? but its ok for them to still be talking about steroids in baseball in yet another off season? come on man. of course everyone regurges what they heard on tv or read in the paper, Where else would you get your sports facts? Where do you think they get all thier knowledge from in every other sport? Did you really think we actually go to all the games in every sport in the whole country? seriously man, what is your deal? your either hungry for attention, really slow or a hater. or all 3.

top 3 reasons MM is the best sporting event in the world (not including office pools of course).

1.finality- win or go home. doesn't matter who you are, who your coach is or what your record was you must win to stay in. only the NFL has something comparable, but not on the 65 team scale.

2. Emotions/ Drama- they are amateur kids playing this game; not for money or endorsements but just in the spirit of competition. Its the beauty of sports in its purest form. Basketball has a unique quality in that in the end of most games it is very likely that a game can be decided in the final seconds. Sure in football, hockey, soccer or even baseball, you can win at the buzzer or the final pitch, or the final play, but it doesn't happen w/ the regularity that it occurs in basketball, or it happens w/ something mundane like a field goal, or a shoot out. but to watch a buzzer beater might be the most thrilling seconds in all of sports. And i guarantee you we will see at least one this year.

3. duration- for the next 2 or 3 weeks its going to be non stop basketball, game after game after game. day after day. your weekends are booked. its like NFL sunday in 3 day doses.

It' all about television. Baseball is going downhill fast. Look at the World Series ratings:

Wow.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fox stopped paying outrageous money to get the World Series every year if this continues.

Think about it. American Idol has a larger viewership than the last World Series!

Anyone else think Westy is chillin' out and laughing at this thread?

I don't think a lot of people 'get' him. It's just a funny rant. But it is funny to see dozens get their panties all in a twist, like he just defiled the Virgin Mary.

His Subway thread had some classic ownage of some seriously pissed off people... "what do you mean I'm not a man?!?!" LMAO

*edit*

now I will say, he can be a complete pain in the ass at times... this just isn't one of those times.

I don't think a lot of people 'get' him. It's just a funny rant. But it is funny to see dozens get their panties all in a twist, like he just defiled the Virgin Mary.

His Subway thread had some classic ownage of some seriously pissed off people... "what do you mean I'm not a man?!?!" LMAO

Eh, the Subway one was funny...he's done this one every year for the past 3 or 4 years. This is not Westy being funny. :)

It's time for my annual thread about the media created "March Madness" which I hate so much.

It seems like more of the general public "loves" this more than even the World Series or other major championships.

There is one reason and one reason alone. The stupid office pool which everyone from sports freaks to soccer moms fill out thinking they know enough about all 64 teams in the tourney to make informed decisions.

You can be sure later on there will be the HUGE INTRIGUE for "Selection Sunday" as they'll have a few cams on some teams "on the bubble" and the reactions of joy and/or sorrow. Every year it's the same and every year America falls for this fake drama.

I always talk to people who have filled out a pool and ask them who is their "sleeper" this year. 90 percent of the people always say Gonzaga. Try this yourself this year and see how right I am. Gonzaga is full of scrappy white kids so they fall into the perfect choice as a "sleeper" even though they have been great for about 10 years straight and everyone knows about them.

I won't watch one minute of college basketball this year, just like every other year, because I could care less. If it weren't for office pools, NCAA Basketball wouldn't even be televised. You might laugh but I am 100 percent right. All of you simply rehash what Jim Nance told everyone in America about certain teams. At least in the NFL, most people come up with their own opinions about teams. For College Basketball, 99 percent of what is regurgitated is from ESPN, CBS, or a sports website.

No other sport in the history of the world has been as "popular" without the public knowing any of the players!

So the real reason why you hate the tournament is you have never won your office pool :)

Even if this was created for TV it is the perfect event for watching and gamblingl, which is why it is the greatest thing

Archived