Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook36 hates: March Madness

Westbrook36

It's time for my annual thread about the media created "March Madness" which I hate so much.

It seems like more of the general public "loves" this more than even the World Series or other major championships.

There is one reason and one reason alone. The stupid office pool which everyone from sports freaks to soccer moms fill out thinking they know enough about all 64 teams in the tourney to make informed decisions.

You can be sure later on there will be the HUGE INTRIGUE for "Selection Sunday" as they'll have a few cams on some teams "on the bubble" and the reactions of joy and/or sorrow. Every year it's the same and every year America falls for this fake drama.

I always talk to people who have filled out a pool and ask them who is their "sleeper" this year. 90 percent of the people always say Gonzaga. Try this yourself this year and see how right I am. Gonzaga is full of scrappy white kids so they fall into the perfect choice as a "sleeper" even though they have been great for about 10 years straight and everyone knows about them.

I won't watch one minute of college basketball this year, just like every other year, because I could care less. If it weren't for office pools, NCAA Basketball wouldn't even be televised. You might laugh but I am 100 percent right. All of you simply rehash what Jim Nance told everyone in America about certain teams. At least in the NFL, most people come up with their own opinions about teams. For College Basketball, 99 percent of what is regurgitated is from ESPN, CBS, or a sports website.

No other sport in the history of the world has been as "popular" without the public knowing any of the players!

So your argument is attacking what makes sports good and entertaining?

And you say people don't come up with their own opinion and that's why it frustrates you? I hate to break it to you but a lot of what people come up with as their own opinions, regardless of the sport, has been cycled through the various media outlets.

And judging by your sig I'm guessing you're a baseball fan. Are you also arguing that college baseball should be thrown in this category because teams like Fresno State beat the odds to win the championship? I'll bet you the majority of people in this nation couldn't name one player on that team. But I guess watching juiced up players like Alex Rodriguez take center stage is more exciting? Or watching the NBA which has its referees bet on games, players like LeBron James make kids these day think it's OK to travel, and defense that's non-existent.

Yeah now I'm convinced March Madness is just some stupid over-hyped tourney:rolleyes:

If it weren't for office pools, NCAA Basketball wouldn't even be televised. You might laugh but I am 100 percent right.

This is where you venture into the completely absurd. Meaningless games are televised all year. College wrestling is televised .. high school basketball .. major league soccer .. water polo ... and you think that office pools are the only reason the college championship tournament of one of the most popular sports in this country is televised?

Quick, name a player on Purdue! How about Marquette? Who is the coach of Saint Mary's?

I can see the anger in some of the replies; you guys have been duped into believing you knew something about college basketball. It is all set up by ESPN and the media at large to convince you. They rank the teams 1-16 so your little peanut brains can realize that teams close to 1 are gooooood and teams closer to 16 are not as good. If a team above 8 beats a team below 8, then it must be an upset!

Then you can go to work on Monday and ask Fred if he had seen _____(12 seed) beat ______(5 seed) that weekend? Holy ****, that was crazy. Never thought they'd pull that one out!

Dude - how can you hate a sport because of "ignorant fans" and ****ing like the Eagles or the Phillys. Every girl I meet from the city "love" (oh they are HUGE fans) the Eagles and Phillys. They even have those awesome pink jerseys!! YAYYY! Can they name a player besides McNabb and Westbrook???....hell no.

Way to be Debbie Downer, man. Although I do agree with you, to a point. The office pools are the leading factor in its popularity, sure. But what makes it so great is that you can be the biggest college bb fan around and it still doesn't mean you are winning these pools. Therefore, the secretary has a fighting chance. So does the guy that cleans the toilets.

You're missing out by not watching. Those first two days are probably the greatest sports days of the year. And I do get what you're saying about the sleeper thing. I heard dorks say that kind of stuff all the time. They'll give you their sleeper, not knowing anything about the team. They're just basing it off something they heard on TV. I like to make them feel dumb. I will go something like, "so, what makes them your sleeper?"..."is it their good guard play and/or size advantage up front?"...and to guys I don't like I will go, "I bet you can't even name one starter off their team..." That one gets them all the time...haha

Dude - how can you hate a sport because of "ignorant fans" and ****ing like the Eagles or the Phillys. Every girl I meet from the city "love" (oh they are HUGE fans) the Eagles and Phillys. They even have those awesome pink jerseys!! YAYYY! Can they name a player besides McNabb and Westbrook???....hell no.

That's a great point. Any decision maker on sports franchise that makes pink jerseys just so girls can feel like they can follow too should be ****ing shot.

That's a great point. Any decision maker on sports franchise that makes pink jerseys just so girls can feel like they can follow too should be ****ing shot.

I know plenty of football "fans" who can barely name anyone on their team's roster. My officemate is an Iggle fan, and when I try to talk shop with him, he has no idea who 85% of the players I'm talking about are. But of course you don't answer that part of the question. Outside of the people like us who post on message boards and are insanely fanatical about football, most average fans probably can't name more than the starting skill positions on their football team, and maybe one or two defensive stars.

Quick, name a player on Purdue! How about Marquette? Who is the coach of Saint Mary's?

I can see the anger in some of the replies; you guys have been duped into believing you knew something about college basketball. It is all set up by ESPN and the media at large to convince you. They rank the teams 1-16 so your little peanut brains can realize that teams close to 1 are gooooood and teams closer to 16 are not as good. If a team above 8 beats a team below 8, then it must be an upset!

Then you can go to work on Monday and ask Fred if he had seen _____(12 seed) beat ______(5 seed) that weekend? Holy ****, that was crazy. Never thought they'd pull that one out!

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I hate it when I agree with an eagles fan, but damnit that's some funny **** right there. 100% true.

You guys have watched Hoosiers too many times. Upsets happen in the college baseball WS every year. Does anyone care? No. You know why? Because in June, the regular baseball season is going, the championships for the NBA and NHL are going and NFL training camp is around the corner as well as college football.

March madness is intriguing because ESPN has absolutely no other choice than to hype the **** out of it because, without it, they'd have to close down shop in March because there is literally nothing else going on. They market it and pump it and the sheep, like yourself, wait in line and can't wait until the next segment on ESPN's First Take where Jay is going to go over potential bracket busters and tips on filling out your office pool.

Archived