Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Signs the bad economy isn't affecting everyone

ljs

I just about fell out of my chair a few minutes go...

I'm reviewing info at work in relation to the Housing Affordibility and Stability Plan. This is part of the Stimulus package where people can lower mortgage payments if they meet the criteria.

It's been sad to hear so many people upside down in their mortgages, people who lost their jobs and broke. But a call I just heard in our meeting, goes to show, this isn't affecting everyone.

A lady wants to refinance her house to get cash out so she can get cosmetic surgery!

hey, to each their own, but it reminded me of a story in our local paper where a lady who complained of being broke admitted to still taking her dog to the groomer every week.:doh:

Anyone else have funny/interesting stories of people blowing through money cause the ****ty economy isn't affecting them at all?(my assumption that someone who can afford to get cosmetic surgery isn't too bad off)

**for me, I'm safe in my job. The stimilus plan, in relation to the housing part is making for more business at my work. I'm about to hire 6 new people and our company overall is hiring like mad. Granted, the wages aren't that great...in the $10/hr range for entry level, but hey it's something.

MH, I mean individuals...I know that major sports markets (i.e. $100mil to AH) aren't too bad off...but what about individuals themselves. I know not everyone can be broke or out of a job.

MH, I mean individuals...I know that major sports markets (i.e. $100mil to AH) aren't too bad off...but what about individuals themselves. I know not everyone can be broke or out of a job.

I don't think I personally know anyone that has been affected. I had a tough time finding a job when I graduated last May, it took me 4 months. But other than that I don't think its been too bad for me or anyone else I know.

my neighbor and his wife both have very high paying government jobs.

This is a rare thing in TN. Pretty normal for all you leeches and parasites in Nova and Somd :silly:

Anywho- he brought over his new car to show me Saturday. Keep in mind the one it replaced was only 16 months old. "It's a great time to buy". Yah, I guess it is. Especially if you're like him and you can pay cash.

He also paid cash for his 4000 sq foot custom home. I hate him. :silly:

My fiance's brother and his wife bought my fiance a gift certificate for a back massage at a spa in old town. She called and made the appointment but they barely had any space for her on their schedule, so she ended up having to take a few hours off of work to go during a weekday. She commented to the receptionist how she thought luxury spas would be getting hit by the current economy, and hence they would have appointmets available. The lady there said they had noticed no decline in business.

I'm sure they're not all that lucky, but that's my story.

My fiance's brother and his wife bought my fiance a gift certificate for a back massage at a spa in old town. She called and made the appointment but they barely had any space for her on their schedule, so she ended up having to take a few hours off of work to go during a weekday. She commented to the receptionist how she thought luxury spas would be getting hit by the current economy, and hence they would have appointmets available. The lady there said they had noticed no decline in business.

I'm sure they're not all that lucky, but that's my story.

There won't be too many horror stories here in the Nation's Capital.

my neighbor and his wife both have very high paying government jobs.

This is a rare thing in TN. Pretty normal for all you leeches and parasites in Nova and Somd :silly:

Anywho- he brought over his new car to show me Saturday. Keep in mind the one it replaced was only 16 months old. "It's a great time to buy". Yah, I guess it is. Especially if you're like him and you can pay cash.

He also paid cash for his 4000 sq foot custom home. I hate him. :silly:

That's why I want to move to TN. I'll get up to the 100k a year mark by the time I'm 27ish and then I'll move to TN and buy a big ass house and enjoy the beautiful ladies. :D

My company wont change your payrate....so its best to work in a place like NYC and then transfer to a place where the cost of living isnt too high.

That's why I want to move to TN. I'll get up to the 100k a year mark by the time I'm 27ish and then I'll move to TN and buy a big ass house and enjoy the beautiful ladies. :D

My company wont change your payrate....so its best to work in a place like NYC and then transfer to a place where the cost of living isnt too high.

where do you work that you'll be making 100k at 27? i want in!

my sister and her husband own sevearl rentals, and the home they live in is worth well over $500k, oh and on 5 acres w/ 2 horses. He drives a company truck, my sister drives a '06 Suburban. 6 kids, 2 in private school, with 2 more entering private school next year. They are doing pretty well to say the least.

Over the weekend my sister mentioned spending over $500 at Costco for food and that they are broke....I laughed. My bro in law makes at least $150k a year, plus their rental incomes (on houses he paid for in cash, so not much overhead)....sorry, but you can't spend $500 at costco if you are broke.

It's all relative I guess.

I have a client who is a 20+million a year company, that instituted a 10% pay decrease to all of it's MALE employees. The WOMENS stayed the same - no change......

I have another one that is hiring people left and right and TOP wages, went from a 40 user office to a 80 user office in 12 months. They are spending big bucks like money is no object.

total flipside to the 'business' end of the economy

Only thing I've noticed in this bad economy, is that we're still getting hosed on food prices (hello! gas isn't $4 a gallon anymore!) and gas -uh, oil is at $35 per barrell, and when we were paying $4 a gallon, oil was $160 a barrell. Gas should be much closer to $1.30-$1.50 IMO

<<<------- Not broke yet, but out of a job.

Archived