Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A telling interview with Santana Moss

SkinsTillIDie

Courtesy of HapHazard in Breaking News, almost a day ago. I can't believe that a thread hasn't been made on this yet.

For full interview: http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/story/11458005/rss

Some quotes of note:

Take me back to last season. The Redskins began 6-2 and then the bottom fell out. What happened?

Moss: "Well, we started off hot. I felt like we could have done a lot of things. But once defenses started changing schemes to take me out of the game and blitz a lot more, it just seemed like we couldn't get over that hump. It kind of shook what Jason (Campbell) and I were doing down a little bit and made us go into a drought. (Coach Jim Zorn) did everything that he could do to try and get us out of that situation, but it was just one of those things where we got so far into that hole that we couldn't climb out.

It sounds like you're firmly in Zorn's corner despite how the season finished up. Not every Redskin teammate would share that sentiment.

Moss: "I like Jim Zorn, I like what he wants to do, I like his whole logic to the game. I feel like he knows that this game isn't based on just passing or just running, he knows that you have to have talent all over and have key guys in key spots. I like what he has to offer us as a head coach and I'm going to back him because I feel like we all believe in his scheme and that we can be successful in it."

From your perspective, how much better has Jason Campbell become over the last season?

Moss: I think he's gotten a lot better. Like light years. The stuff that he went through last year will make him see things more clearly this year. Last year there were situations where he was sacked a lot, and you can't blame it on that kid. You can't blame it on anybody because defenses were bringing it and they knew where we were weak and they exposed it. He gave us a chance to win every time we went out there, and that's all you can hope for.

What can you tell me about Devin Thomas, one of your rookie receivers from last season?

Moss: "He's an athletic guy. He's one of those guys who has a big build and is fast -- you don't get that much from guys his size. I think his future is bright, if he stays focused and just lets me talk to him a little more, he'll be all right."

What does Haynesworth do for your defense?

Moss: "He's going to free up the rest of our guys to go get in the backfield and sack the quarterback and get a lot of tackle for losses on the running back. He's going to create a lot of double teams and he'll clog those lanes up so opposing rushers won't get free rushes and yardage on us. I thought our defense was a play or two away from being outstanding. They were all we had -- we rode their coat tails all year long, and they were telling us to just do a little more. I'm scared for all the offenses out there that will see our defense next year."

Wow... like you said, really telling.

Especially about Zorn. Haven't heard Santana being this open in a long time. Unfortunately, very few will actually believe what he's saying about Zorn or Campbell. They'll continue to believe that they're our biggest problems and we won't go anywhere with them.

This interview is making me real excited about what we can do with an upgraded Oline.

*Edit* Link doesn't work!

Courtesy of HapHazard in Breaking News, almost a day ago. I can't believe that a thread hasn't been made on this yet.

For full interview: http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fan...y/11458005/rss

Some quotes of note:

Take me back to last season. The Redskins began 6-2 and then the bottom fell out. What happened?

Moss: "Well, we started off hot. I felt like we could have done a lot of things. But once defenses started changing schemes to take me out of the game and blitz a lot more, it just seemed like we couldn't get over that hump. It kind of shook what Jason (Campbell) and I were doing down a little bit and made us go into a drought. (Coach Jim Zorn) did everything that he could do to try and get us out of that situation, but it was just one of those things where we got so far into that hole that we couldn't climb out.

It sounds like you're firmly in Zorn's corner despite how the season finished up. Not every Redskin teammate would share that sentiment.

Moss: "I like Jim Zorn, I like what he wants to do, I like his whole logic to the game. I feel like he knows that this game isn't based on just passing or just running, he knows that you have to have talent all over and have key guys in key spots. I like what he has to offer us as a head coach and I'm going to back him because I feel like we all believe in his scheme and that we can be successful in it."

From your perspective, how much better has Jason Campbell become over the last season?

Moss: I think he's gotten a lot better. Like light years. The stuff that he went through last year will make him see things more clearly this year. Last year there were situations where he was sacked a lot, and you can't blame it on that kid. You can't blame it on anybody because defenses were bringing it and they knew where we were weak and they exposed it. He gave us a chance to win every time we went out there, and that's all you can hope for.

What can you tell me about Devin Thomas, one of your rookie receivers from last season?

Moss: "He's an athletic guy. He's one of those guys who has a big build and is fast -- you don't get that much from guys his size. I think his future is bright, if he stays focused and just lets me talk to him a little more, he'll be all right."

What does Haynesworth do for your defense?

Moss: "He's going to free up the rest of our guys to go get in the backfield and sack the quarterback and get a lot of tackle for losses on the running back. He's going to create a lot of double teams and he'll clog those lanes up so opposing rushers won't get free rushes and yardage on us. I thought our defense was a play or two away from being outstanding. They were all we had -- we rode their coat tails all year long, and they were telling us to just do a little more. I'm scared for all the offenses out there that will see our defense next year."

Sounds a lot like what many here have said, once defenses figured out that JC had 1 primary [santana] they took him away and it was check down city for JC, they brought the heat knowing he was to slow, and to inaccurate to do any real damage finding secondary recievers. I know the O-line was less than stellar last year, but a quick read and delivery can help an O-line a whole lot.

Sounds a lot like what many here have said' date=' once defenses figured out that JC had 1 primary [santana'] they took him away and it was check down city for JC, they brought the heat knowing he was to slow, and to inaccurate to do any real damage finding secondary recievers. I know the O-line was less than stellar last year, but a quick read and delivery can help an O-line a whole lot.

:no: not even close

Sounds a lot like what many here have said' date=' once defenses figured out that JC had 1 primary [santana'] they took him away and it was check down city for JC, they brought the heat knowing he was to slow, and to inaccurate to do any real damage finding secondary recievers. I know the O-line was less than stellar last year, but a quick read and delivery can help an O-line a whole lot.

Except when your receivers don't get open quickly, then its all on the oline. You actually think he was calling Campbell slow and inaccurate?

People need to realize. If brennan was that great hed move up the depth chart. Zorn would also have put him in for Campbell when he "looked bad" according to the haters.

Zorn just hasn't opened his eyes to see that Tom Brady is sitting on the bench!

Am not a Zorn guy at all, kind of spooked by the offense last season, and don't have much faith in him as the Skins head coach. Having said that, I like this interview, its bugged me that you really don't hear any good plugs from the players about Zorn's system -- the best I've noticed is stuff like "give it time." So finally something from somebody.

Many a player on the Skins have been asked about the 6-2 to 2-6 and all have pointed to the offensive line.

Heck just watching the games it was apparent. Campbell didnt have TIME to go past 1 read...snap, 1 step 2 step 3 step read sack.

I didnt find this article too groundbreaking. The only thing I thought stood out was the "if he just lets me talk to him a little more" implying that there is a communication issue with D Thomas.

Moss: "He's an athletic guy. He's one of those guys who has a big build and is fast -- you don't get that much from guys his size.

Translation: Devin Thomas is a know it all knucklehead.

Or, Moss mispoke and he meant there aren't many players (WR) his size.

Am not a Zorn guy at all, kind of spooked by the offense last season, and don't have much faith in him as the Skins head coach. Having said that, I like this interview, its bugged me that you really don't hear any good plugs from the players about Zorn's system -- the best I've noticed is stuff like "give it time." So finally something from somebody.

I am certain your lack of faith will not deter Jim Zorn. Having said that, I agree that this was a much needed interview and perspective from a pivotal offensive player. If this does not reverse you ZornFear then maybe some wins this year is going to work. I personally believe Zorn was the right coach, we(the fans) need to show some patience. :pokeye:

Except when your receivers don't get open quickly, then its all on the oline. You actually think he was calling Campbell slow and inaccurate?

And except when as Cooley wrote in his blog, the defense was only rushing 5 men and we still couldn't defend 5 guys.

Let's see, 2 on Moss, 5 rushing the quarterback, that still leaves 4 to defend the underneath routes. I can't count the number of times I saw the 5 to 15 yard passes tipped away or broken up.

Or, Moss mispoke and he meant there aren't many players (WR) his size.

No he said it properly - big build and fast - you dont get that much from guys his size. Meaning you dont see someone that tall with that type of build and that speed often.

I was referring to the "stay focused and listen to me a little more" comment.

To me, it kind of implied that Thomas doesn't take advice well. If true, why wouldn't you let a proven vet "show you the ropes" ?

First, there is no way Moss said all of this. Either the interviewer embellished what was said, or changed things to correct them. Why do I say this? Because, as much as I like Moss, I've heard the man speak too many times to know that this is not how the man talks. No "you know," or "I mean," and the grammar was close to perfect. Any Redskins fan that has ever listened to Moss speak knows what I am talking about.

Second, Moss isn't going to throw Zorn or Campbell under the bus no matter what he thinks. He's not that kind of a guy. Name one time Moss hasn't been supportive of a player or coach or a system in an interview. You can't. He's never said anything negative about Brunell, Gibbs, Saunders, Campbell etc. I respect Moss for that, but it means that you can't really take much from this interview.

No he said it properly - big build and fast - you dont get that much from guys his size. Meaning you dont see someone that tall with that type of build and that speed often.

Exactly. I read it the way that some have been interpretting it at first. He meant that you don't get that often from guys his size.

Im sure the interviewer cleaned it up to remove all the "ya know" "im sayin" "man we jus'" "its like" "iono" etc etc. Makes for a much smoother and coherent read...

That's exactly the point I was making above. I understand the writer wanting it to be easy to read, but then he/she technically can't use quotes because that would not be exactly what Moss had said. That opens up the door on what else may have been changed and/or left out.

To me Moss meant you usually don't get that kind of athleticism/speed from a guy of Devin's size/larger build. Also that he may be a bit hard headed or would improve if he listened to, or would seek the knowledge that can be imparted by a vet such as Moss.

edit: oops i see someone caught that on page 2.

I also don't appreciate journalism where they "clean up" what a player says due to, slang, verbal crutches, improper tenses etc. I'd rather have it as it was said. With that said, also realizing just because a man doesn't speak properly isn't a definite indicator on his maturity/intelligence. He simply never learned to communicate/speak properly, and those around him coming up probably didn't either. Cheap shots to that effect are rather lame.

That's exactly the point I was making above. I understand the writer wanting it to be easy to read, but then he/she technically can't use quotes because that would not be exactly what Moss had said. That opens up the door on what else may have been changed and/or left out.

As if it really matters. We aren't winning a Lombardi anytime soon, whether they get Santana Moss' quotes right or not. :chair:

Archived