Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A telling interview with Santana Moss

SkinsTillIDie

This interview just shows that Moss is being a good teammate. What do you expect him to say?

Campbell can't read defenses and by the time he throws the secondary has adjusted to the routes?

or, Campbell has a slow release and stares at the primary receiver and telegraphs where the ball is gonna go?

or, Campbell doesn't check down to his second and third options until it's too late?

No. Moss is just being a team player and not throwing his QB under the bus. He did the same for Brunnell.

So I dismiss this interview as purely PR.

He didn't do the same for Campbell before last year when he said Campbell really needed to step up. Feel free to look it up. Moss calls it like he sees it. And he's had the chance to see a lot more than any of us.

;6204083']Zorn's previous position was QB Coach.

He's being peppered daily with questions on "all fronts" as you put it' date=' and, yes, does seem slightly overwhelmed. I don't think this is cause for alarm.

Head Coach in the NFL is an enormously difficult task at which to be successful. Making sure your 22 men are more prepared and talented than 22 other men, each and every week, is daunting at best.

Having to do this while answering questions from the media makes it even more difficult.He has not yet learned to shield the media from his mind and to give them the cookie cutter answers that do not allow for introspective follow up questions from the journalists.

[i'](Joe Gibbs was a master of this.)[/i]

He will hopefully develop a Gibbsian knack for steering interviews with his answers

Good points throughout. My main issue with him as a communicator isn't that he has yet to master the Gibbs style spin. But agree he's lacking there. I don't mind his honesty but I cringe some when he goes on the my scheme is good, my players don't execute drill.

For me, the issue is when he is asked to explain himself, he just doesn't strike me as competent/thorough sounding as lets say a Gregg Williams explaining his defense or an Al Saunders and heck even Norv.

When Czaben asked Zorn about how he's going to improve the offense his response was more or less "score more points -- then they pushed further with a how, and his response was better plays in the end zone. He's running the offense as I said because his response "he kinda likes it".

I also worry about his commitment. If you read his interviews, it comes up about how he DOESN'T want to obsess about football, talks for example about the books he reads DURING the season, and he leaves the game alone when he comes home. I have not read anything about Zorn being an obsessive game planner or worker for that matter.

I am not saying any of this to be negative. He seems like a really nice guy and has a really nice life, and I wish him the best and hope he succeeds. And on a personal level, heck I believe in leading a balanced life too, though am just not sure football lends to that at least from what most coaches say in interviews.

I remember during Gibbs 1, before a big game, you would know the team would be ready, you'd know that they'd have the better game plan, and that Gibbs would out work the opponent's coach.

From Zorn's own admission, he isn't obsessed with football. And when I listen to him, he doesn't strike me super brilliant or for that matter incredibly thoughtful. I am talking about degrees, apples to apples with other coaches. I am sure Zorn works hard, and he is smart.

But do I feel like I did during Gibbs 1, that we have the smartest coach and that he will out work and out prepare the opponent's coaching staff, not really, at least not yet. Just a guess on my end, could be wrong and I hope I am.

It would be one thing if the offense looked inventive or you'd see some special things going on with him whether it was clock managment, in game adjustments, leadership qualities, etc -- but so far IMO he seemed below average on all accounts, except working with Jason.

I am sure he's a super QB coach but i wonder what is it about him that is special in terms of being a top level head coach? And heck am open to hearing about it, because I'd love to feel better about him and this upcoming season.

Good points throughout. My main issue with him as a communicator isn't that he has yet to master the Gibbs style spin. But agree he's lacking there. I don't mind his honesty but I cringe some when he goes on the my scheme is good, my players don't execute drill.

the thing that really bothers me about zorn, is his complete failure to use the shotgun.

Jason has played some of his best games from a hurry up shotgun attack and yet we never used it last season.

That's exactly what I saw. And when you have to keep your checkdown guy home trying to help block, you're screwed.

Or worse having your QB expect his RB to be the check down guy looking for him and finding him in the back field blocking ..

Or having someone run a 8 yard curl when they were supposed to be running a 5 yard curl ...

An average team can expect 300-600 yards from their no 2-5 recievers (including TE's and RB) After Moss and Cooley, no one else stepped up and even ARE disappeared .

Dallas and St Louis are the only two games that come to mind to me. I honestly can't think of another. Both those games, also, the Defense spent a ton of time on the field. The Offense had that one nice drive to get the TD near the end of the St Louis game, but they were pretty quiet for 75% of the game.

Niners game?

What I think is even more telling is the fact that the Lord Savior Colt Brennan himself doesn't have a contract until the year infiniti.

:doh:

Please...he doesn't have a contract YET. I'd much rather see exactly what they have in Campbell (no, not what YOU think we have in Campbell) before they give him 8-10 mil a year.

It's possible they are waiting to see what is left in the till before signing JC. After they finish rounding out the roster they may sign him before the season starts. Not saying this will happen, or that it is even likely, just a possibility.

;6203735']Everyone keeps forgetting that Zorn played in this league and put Steve Largent into the Hall Of Fame.

He knows something about offense and playing QB.

People see Peyton Manning and immediately think' date=' 'All-Star'.

I see Peyton Manning, and remember when he played a game during one of his first 2 or 3 years and this happened:

Give the Zorn system a chance, and let JC sink or swim. If it's not obvious after this year, then give Colt some snaps in next years pre-season.

Colts went 3-13 in Manning's first year. When they did finally get to the "Playoffs!?!?!" they tanked in the first round 41 - 0 to the Jets.

Edit: its not really the losses, that bug me most about Zorn. More than anything its how he sounds in interviews, he just doesn't sound to me as a guy that's with it. Stuff like when he's asked about play calling next season -- his response, I plan to keep doing it because "I kinda like it". Can you picture Cowher or Parcells saying yeah am going to do it because I kinda like it.

Your comparing two HOF'ers at the end of their careers to Zorn's first year? Parcells and Cowher had no media decorum in the beginning of their careers. You want a spokesmen or a Head Football Coach?

1983 New York Giants 3 12 1 0 0

1984 New York Giants 9 7 0 1 1

1985 New York Giants 10 6 0 1 1

Those numbers are Parcells first three years, playoffs are the last two. I hope the Redskins give Zorn at least three years before jerking the chair out from under him. I also recall Cowher having a hot start only to settle in on mediocre records and almost being fired, before he consistently made the playoffs.

Sounds a lot like what many here have said' date=' once defenses figured out that JC had 1 primary [santana'] they took him away and it was check down city for JC, they brought the heat knowing he was to slow, and to inaccurate to do any real damage finding secondary recievers. I know the O-line was less than stellar last year, but a quick read and delivery can help an O-line a whole lot.

hmmm so why not highlight the part where Moss says that Campbell gave them a shot to win EVERY GAME?

That he couldn't do anything because of the blitzes?

Yeah that would defeat your Campbell bashing wouldn't it?

hmmm so why not highlight the part where Moss says that Campbell gave them a shot to win EVERY GAME?

That he couldn't do anything because of the blitzes?

Yeah that would defeat your Campbell bashing wouldn't it?

I'm no Campbell basher, but look at your second question again and think about what you're saying.

Sounds a lot like what many here have said' date=' once defenses figured out that JC had 1 primary [santana'] they took him away and it was check down city for JC, they brought the heat knowing he was to slow, and to inaccurate to do any real damage finding secondary recievers. I know the O-line was less than stellar last year, but a quick read and delivery can help an O-line a whole lot.

Clearly your post had an agenda. Perhaps you also think Colt Brennan is the second coming of Matt Cassell. :doh:

Improvement in the OL and our young WRs will improve what ails this offense. JC is great and just needs the pieces around him to be set in place.

Your comparing two HOF'ers at the end of their careers to Zorn's first year? Parcells and Cowher had no media decorum in the beginning of their careers. You want a spokesmen or a Head Football Coach?

I also recall Cowher having a hot start only to settle in on mediocre records and almost being fired, before he consistently made the playoffs.

Maybe I am not communicating my point well enough -- its really basic, when I look at head coaches IMO they excel at some aspects of the following:

Game management

Clock management

Half time adjustments

Game preparation

Consistency of message

Communication skills

Hard work -- relentessly

Leadership skills

Motivational skills

It's hard for me to see Zorn's strengths on any of the above. Actually hard for me to see where he's even OK on any of the above. He talks about staying medium but looks like a basket case on the sidelines, yelling at everybody and looking distraught when things go awry. And I've heard him lose his cool in interviews.

Gibbs is a stay medium guy. Zorn can talk all day about staying medium but I've seen him contradict himself on live tv multiple times, something tells me it might actually happen in practice, too.

Portis took him to task for being all over the place when it comes to what he asks the players to do on offense, and the papers while giving Portis a beating admitted that other players privately agree with Portis.

By Zorn's own admission he doesn't want to be a workaholic or obsess about football. Gibbs got the team on a run at the end of the season with the playoffs on the line -- Zorn's Redskins go down in Cincy with the playoffs on the line. His clock management skills has been taken to task by several annoucers covering the games.

Did he strike anybody being an innovator play caller? Or do you recall reading about Zorn out maneuvering or outsmarting the opposition's coach. It seemed like the opponent not the Redskins would be more likely to come through with the key half time adjustments, etc. I've heard others like Brian Mitchell on his radio make similar observations.

Now we get to his communication skills. I can deal with all of this if he sounded competent, but to my ears he doesn't sound competent. Again I am talking in relative terms compared to other coaches.

I watched the Giants in their early years and ditto the Steelers -- i just never got the impression that Parcells in any point in his career fumbled over his words and couldn't articulate well what he was trying to do. Part of what makes him tick from what I read and some of the better coaches is their communication skills.

Maybe Zorn is a great communicator in practice. Although Portis implies he isn't a good communicator at least from the stand point of what he wants from the offense -- and its not that I take Portis word on face value, its just what he says doesn't seem a reach to me based on my limited observations.

I don't believe in continuity for continuity's sake. Having said that, I do think Zorn should be given one more year. First impressions could be wrong, I could be wrong. And I hope I am dead wrong.

What can you tell me about Devin Thomas, one of your rookie receivers from last season?

Moss: "He's an athletic guy. He's one of those guys who has a big build and is fast -- you don't get that much from guys his size. I think his future is bright, if he stays focused and just lets me talk to him a little more, he'll be all right."

Moss told it how it is, good interview.

Although, it sounds like Moss i saying that Devin Thomas needs to study and pay attention to his route running more.

I don't think Moss is bashing Devin Thomas, he might even be joking around but i agree that DT future is bright.

I think that DT could be a beast. 340x.jpg 3009111953_1d33d6d4bb.jpg

But this statement makes me wonder what Stan Hixon is doing?

I don't mean to bash the guy but he is in charge of the WRs.

The rookie WRs were:

1) the rookie WR came in out of shape; he could have stayed in their ear once they were drafted and made sure they were getting ready

2) The staff knew that DT was a very raw receiver having played essentially 1 year of 'big time'

college football, therefore he probably needs extra work that i never heard that he was getting.

-I remember hearing and reading about TE Coach Rene Simmons spending extra time w/ Davis and by the end of the season Davis had improved as a blocker and was getting rave reviews from coach Zorn.

3) If Moss is saying that just lets me talk to him a little more, -

where is the coach in all this?

-A coach should make it clear to rookies that if a veteran wants to talk to them, they better drop whatever they're doing and at least listen (they should be taking notes)

1) the rookie WR came in out of shape; he could have stayed in their ear once they were drafted and made sure they were getting ready

2) The staff knew that DT was a very raw receiver having played essentially 1 year of 'big time'

college football, therefore he probably needs extra work that i never heard that he was getting.

-I remember hearing and reading about TE Coach Rene Simmons spending extra time w/ Davis and by the end of the season Davis had improved as a blocker and was getting rave reviews from coach Zorn.

-A coach should make it clear to rookies that if a veteran wants to talk to them, they better drop whatever they're doing and at least listen (they should be taking notes)

It seems like either the coach doesn't know how to utilize his young receivers or we picked the wrong guys. That being said, I'm hoping that Kelly can get on the field, Devin Thomas comes into camp in shape and Boozie can learn the playbook.

I take the Moss line about if Thomas lets him talk to him more that he isn't craving to be taught. If so, its probably not a good sign. I recall Springs though saying something similar about Carlos Rogers earlier in Carlos' career -- Springs said something to the effect that he was surprised that Rogers doesn't ask him questions very often. Based on what I read, Rogers switched gears and learned to bug Springs.

But this statement makes me wonder what Stan Hixon is doing?

I don't mean to bash the guy but he is in charge of the WRs.

The rookie WRs were:

-A coach should make it clear to rookies that if a veteran wants to talk to them, they better drop whatever they're doing and at least listen (they should be taking notes).

My thoughts exactly.

I don't believe in continuity for continuity's sake. Having said that, I do think Zorn should be given one more year. First impressions could be wrong, I could be wrong. And I hope I am dead wrong.

--First I don't disagree with your list of general needs for a good leader. I do think however one year, or even two in a competitive atmosphere such is the NFL is not giving your candidtate a resonable chance of success. And please follow along a second, I have managed all kinds of people. There are the guys who start out hot and blow wind every which way, some of those surprise you and stick with thier enthusiastic approach and succeed.

Then there are guys who seem to be totally different once hired then the guy you hired in the first place, some never get back to becoming that guy. And others once they settle in and get a grip start to develop as great leaders. It is called getting a feel for the task at hand. I too hope Zorn succeeds and other than Gibbs I think this is the first time we have a guy who will develop on the job. The only other competent coach we had was Schotty, and we all know Danny put the kabash on that.

Why am I so high on Zorn, He was one heck of a QB, he is competitive and has that drive. HE also obviously was extremely prepared when he interviewed for the OC position and that is what got him this job.

I don't care if his sounds bites, well bite at this point. I want to see improvement this year in game management and the other issues you listed. I think he gets it. I also don't think Vinny would let Zorn drag him down if he thought Zorn was not "that guy" that he hired. Snyder I think is showing some patience and year two should show some strides.

The other issue is Clinton's comments, he has a big mouth that sometimes does not benefit the team. Keep it in-house.

Why am I so high on Zorn, He was one heck of a QB, he is competitive and has that drive. HE also obviously was extremely prepared when he interviewed for the OC position and that is what got him this job.

I think most of us here at ES would have his head if he were the Skins' QB nowadays -

Jim "INT Machine" Zorn:

Career TDs: 111

Career INTs: 141

Career Avg Comp %: 53.0

;)

I think most of us here at ES would have his head if he were the Skins' QB nowadays -

Jim "INT Machine" Zorn:

;)

Football was a different game when Zorn played QB. There is a reason why he is in Seattle's own "ring of honor". He did alot for them...although I think you are just being facetious here anyways, those stats would be terrible in today's NFL haha

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80211b9d -- Check out this video, it shows how important Zorn was to that fledgling franchise...

Jim "INT Machine" Zorn:

;)

Zorn played on terrible Seahawks teams as they were an expansion franchise. Similar in how Doug Williams played like trash for the Buccaneers

Archived