Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Vinny on 980: Hall and Haynesworth Pick Us Over Money (MET)

JeepRyder

Do you think Zorn will get another season if we don't make the playoffs?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Zorn will get another season if we don't make the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

These guys are both in their primes, it is not like getting an aging star it is getting guys that can contribute for years to come. Hall could play effectively for the life of his contract. DLinemen is a different story but that was a HUGE hole we just plugged with the best guy on the market. I like it. Resign Dockery, draft and offensive tackle with the first pick and we will have had a very productive off season addressing our primary issues IMHO.

Anybody concerned these guys just wanted the money, they obviously want to win to. Adam Schefter just said on NFL Network Tampa Bay was offering more money but Albert picked us. And Hall was being offered more by another team according to Vinny just now on ESPN 980 but he picked us. So hopefully those 2 guys see we are close to being a great team and want to be a part of it. Yes they still got monster deals but still thought it was cool they took a little less to be in Washington.

- Randel El and Rock Cartwright are coming up on ESPN 980 for anyone who wants to listen to talk about the signings.

Maybe guaranteeing 80% of the contract in year one had something to do with Albert signing here.

Cooley4President I disagree. If ur a player and lets say Philly offers you 15 mil and Detroit offers u 17 mil wouldnt u think about that and say yes I'll be giving up 2 million but i will be playing for a team that is usually in the playoffs with Philly. If I sign with Detroit its gonna be a long season and a long career. So I definitely think guys look at the team also and not just the money. Nobody likes to lose. I dont care how much money u make. If u hate going to work the money wont make it all better.

I think it's a nice idea to think that people will take less money to play for a certain team, but that's only the case I think for people who are near the end of their careers and it's either play where they want or retire. You gotta keep in mind, the example you gave had a difference of $2 million, which doesn't sound like much when you're speaking about these big deals, but that's $2 million. That's A LOT of money. And when these players make all their money in a 10 year window and are lucky to get 1 big contract in their career, they have to take it for all its worth. I don't blame them for a second, I would do the same thing.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the players union generally frowns upon players taking lesser deals because is skews the market for other players.

Check out this article by Ross Tucker on si.com. He makes a lot of good points supporting my argument and he was a former player.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/02/25/fa/index.html

Don't forget that AH went through a rebuilding process in Tennessee. It is very possible that we were close or offered a bit less but had more guaranteed and had less uncertainty with the team (coaches, schemes, front office) that he just figured it would be a better overall fit.

Also, I agree that Shefter has no love for Skins so I would be more suspect of this if it was from Vinny than him reporting it (as long as his source isn't Vinny :) )

Interesting comments from Vinny. Just one thing - Hall signed with us BEFORE free agency started right? That being the case how was another team offering him more money ??? I know tampering goes on but it seems a bit blatant for an agent/player to say we signed for less with you when they were still restricted.

Either Vinny is just blowing smoke or tampering is even more blatant (and indeed considered the norm) than I thought.

Check out this article by Ross Tucker on si.com. He makes a lot of good points supporting my argument and he was a former player.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/02/25/fa/index.html

That article talks about players staying with their current team, not free agents picking and choosing between competing new teams.

But as others have said, it's almost always the guaranteed money, and not the size of the overall contract, that determines where a player signs.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

I am starting to agree with you that the skins need to get a LB in the draft in addition to some Offensive Linemen. If the skins can give Campbell time in the pocket I think that we may be able to do some damage in the passing game.. finally.

If not, I guess its time to start looking for another quarterback because I doubt the skins will play Colt anytime soon.

Interesting comments from Vinny. Just one thing - Hall signed with us BEFORE free agency started right? That being the case how was another team offering him more money ??? I know tampering goes on but it seems a bit blatant for an agent/player to say we signed for less with you when they were still restricted.

Either Vinny is just blowing smoke or tampering is even more blatant (and indeed considered the norm) than I thought.

Vinny must've been watching Kindergarten Ninja again...it has that kind of effect on people....makes them confused and crazy.

Firstly, I still shocked that the 'Skins were able to muster deals as lucrative as the ones both Hall and Haynesworth signed. I went to bed last night, early, thinking that nothing extremely notable would happen. Boy, was I wrong!

Secondly, I disagree with the OP. For all intents and purposes, Haynesworth got exactly the kind of money he wanted and Hall may have gotten more money than anyone else would have offered.

The idea that these players signed/resigned out of the shear kindness of their heart, as romantic as it may be, is not realistic. These are shrewd, hard-driving businessmen, seemingly hell-bent on getting every cent they feel they deserve.

Anybody concerned these guys just wanted the money, they obviously want to win to. Adam Schefter just said on NFL Network Tampa Bay was offering more money but Albert picked us. And Hall was being offered more by another team according to Vinny just now on ESPN 980 but he picked us. So hopefully those 2 guys see we are close to being a great team and want to be a part of it. Yes they still got monster deals but still thought it was cool they took a little less to be in Washington.

- Randel El and Rock Cartwright are coming up on ESPN 980 for anyone who wants to listen to talk about the signings.

Hall was basically waiting to see who we were getting other than him I think... I think those two guys alone make our defense a top 3 defense easily, and will probably put our offense on the field a lot more and put more pressure on them to produce which in turn will make our team better than just that 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 mediocrity we've had to deal with all this time!!!

We are just putting the pieces together for something big:notworthy

That's great and all, but if it was really THAT important, then they wouldn't be making an average of 16.7M and 9M per year.....

Yeah we definitely overpaid. That's the way FA works these days. But we did get two very good players who strengthen a championship window of about the next 4 seasons for us. Now we just need a QB, or JC and then a perfect OL.

This is laughable. I don't know what scares me more - Vinny seriously talking about this as a factor or fans on this site using the comments to justify madness. These guys signed $100 and $54 million dollar contracts, and we're happy they "took less." Whatever money left on the table was merely peanuts.

Cheers! :koolaid:

I didn't see Haynesworth in Tampa because they gutted their team over the past 2 years and appear headed to a rebuilding season at 5-11 or 6-10.

Of course, there are those among us that think the Redskins need to do some overall re-tooling and building as well and reducing dependence upon players over 30.

But Washington is a much bigger market in NFL terms than Tampa and the NFC East is still the NFL's showcase division.

I am sure that counted for Haynesworth and Hall once the money was on the table vis a vis some other clubs.

That article talks about players staying with their current team, not free agents picking and choosing between competing new teams.

But as others have said, it's almost always the guaranteed money, and not the size of the overall contract, that determines where a player signs.

True, but what's the idea of a "hometown discount" was just provided as an example of the idea signing with a team for reasons other than money. And the article points out that it just doesn't happen. Maybe once in a blue moon. Players make decisions based on money. Why else would anyone in their right mind choose to play for the Raiders?

Archived