Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You might be a Yankee if...

TC4

lol, barbequeing is not synonymous with cooking outside or grilling. They're not the same thing. Bar-B-Que is a flavor and a style of food. anyone using it any other way is just plain wrong.

Not according to dictionary.com:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/barbeque

barbeque

noun

1. meat that has been barbecued or grilled in a highly seasoned sauce [syn: barbecue]

2. a cookout in which food is cooked over an open fire; especially a whole animal carcass roasted on a spit [syn: barbecue]

3. a rack to hold meat for cooking over hot charcoal usually out of doors [syn: barbecue]

verb

1. cook outdoors on a barbecue grill; "let's barbecue that meat"; "We cooked out in the forest"

Only geographically

listen, all of you Northern Virginians, Northern Virginia is not Northern nor Southern, it's kind of a mix culturally, exactly like the geography would lead you to believe

===

as for this test, it's pretty accurate I think

I got about half and half which makes sense growing up in Richmond

listen, all of you Northern Virginians, Northern Virginia is not Northern nor Southern, it's kind of a mix culturally, exactly like the geography would lead you to believe

===

as for this test, it's pretty accurate I think

I got about half and half which makes sense growing up in Richmond

then how do you explain the upstate NY'ers who fit into both? hmmm?

then how do you explain the upstate NY'ers who fit into both? hmmm?

rural folk are often confused with Southern folk

makes sense because for so long the South was so rural... but in the past few decades the South has rapidly urbanized

rural Northern folk probably have more in common with rural Southern folk than urban Southern folk, but there are distinctly northern/southern characteristics and rural/urban characteristics

:2cents:

Well neither is New York. It's not about city-specific cultures. Because that's different everywhere you go.

I'd say it's MUCH closer to those cities, in terms of overall atmosphere and style than it is to Charlotte.

But whatever. I can live with being unique and special.

Go you!

If you're from New Jersey, go to college in the south, talk about how New Jersey is such a ****hole and how you love Virginia, North Carolina, etc., but get super pissed when anyone bashes New Jersey.

You also go back to New Jersey during the summer and talk about how redneck Virginia was when you were down there.

that's ok no one likes Jersey kids... course now the popular excuse is "but...but.. I'm from Southern Jersey"

guidos, all of 'em

The only part of NoVa that I know is not "really" part of the South is Loudoun County. They never seceded from the Union. Still Virginia is about as Southern as you get. I mean some people in states like Maryland consider themselves southern so there are far worse examples.

Also I disagree with the comment that if you turn orange in the sun you ain't no southern boy. That's BS Its not my fault I'm Ginger and need SPF 60 to go outside.

I mean some people in states like Maryland consider themselves southern so there are far worse examples

Well, some of them might be.

Southern is a cultural thing. Maryland's remaining pockets of southern-fried culture are small and dwindling. They'll never disappear, but you can find them at the tip of St. Mary's County and elsewhere...

As for the rest of the state -- Maryland is basically Massachusetts with a less interesting port city, better roads, a younger funny accent, and warmer weather.

rural folk are often confused with Southern folk

makes sense because for so long the South was so rural... but in the past few decades the South has rapidly urbanized

rural Northern folk probably have more in common with rural Southern folk than urban Southern folk, but there are distinctly northern/southern characteristics and rural/urban characteristics

:2cents:

Uhhh. Rochester isn't a rural city. It's one of the 100 biggest cities in the US and it's the 4th biggest city in NYS.

That's actually an interesting way to look at it. Can't say I disagree

I moved from MD to MA 10 years ago, and was floored by the parallels. Size, geography, beach culture, eastern port city orbits, naval history, economy, population, political leanings... the similarities go on and on.

Not to say they're identical. Boston drivers are more extreme and Maryland winters are comparatively delightful. But in the big picture, it's uncanny...

Uhhh. Rochester isn't a rural city. It's one of the 100 biggest cities in the US and it's the 4th biggest city in NYS.

well I don't know everything, but I'm pretty sure upstate NY is really a big place that can be entirely captured in my 3 sentenced posts. But whatever you get my point, upstate NY is more rural. Now I don't know if it's like the South or not, but I'm gonna guess that it's not too much like the South. So.... yeah

If you've never fried a vegetable.

If you've never fried a pork chop. (My ex's entire family looked at like I was nuts for offering them fried pork chops) I kid you not. They'd never heard of anything so absurd.

Don't make me start pulling out civil war stats. The north may have won the war, but the south won most of the battles.:D How's that working out for ya, by the way?

Archived