Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You might be a Yankee if...

TC4

So anyplace that is rural and contains rednecks is the South? Also sounds like you need to drive through Mississippi, Louisiana, or Alabama.

what you said doesn't seem to add up in the context of what I had said.

I replied to someone who said there isn't a lot of farmland in upstate new york, and the farms don't compare to those in the south. This is absolutely false, because I've spent many hours driving through these areas in upstate new york. It's a southern misconception that the north is either wilderness or urban, when my northern new jersey suburban neighborhood is completely surrounded by small family owned and large corporate farmlands. There is also an abundance of horse ranches around here. The U.S. Equestrian team is headquartered next door.

I have NO clue how anyone could suggest I said anywhere with farms and rednecks is considered south, as I thought I made it a point to talk about the huge population of rednecks in the state of MAINE. This is a misconception many northerners have, that rednecks only exist in the south. My previous comment refutes that. Rednecks are in every state, it is by no means special to the south.

Am I saying that's bad? No. I'm refuting misconceptions. Rednecks exist everywhere and the north has as large and productive farms as you will find anywhere in the south. Us yankees also enjoy rodeos, demolition derbies at county fairs, and a day at the racetrack. All of which can be found in north jersey, but then again there are many yankees who have no idea those things exist in the north. Yet another misconception.

**EDIT** I think I came off as a real jerk in the original version of this post. If anyone read the original version I apologize.

what you said doesn't seem to add up in the context of what I had said.

I replied to someone who said there isn't a lot of farmland in upstate new york, and the farms don't compare to those in the south. This is absolutely false, because I've spent many hours driving through these areas in upstate new york. It's a southern misconception that the north is either wilderness or urban, when my northern new jersey suburban neighborhood is completely surrounded by small family owned and large corporate farmlands. There is also an abundance of horse ranches around here. The U.S. Equestrian team is headquartered next door.

I have NO clue how anyone could suggest I said anywhere with farms and rednecks is considered south, as I thought I made it a point to talk about the huge population of rednecks in the state of MAINE. This is a misconception many northerners have, that rednecks only exist in the south. My previous comment refutes that. Rednecks are in every state, it is by no means special to the south.

Am I saying that's bad? No. I'm refuting misconceptions. Rednecks exist everywhere and the north has as large and productive farms as you will find anywhere in the south. Us yankees also enjoy rodeos, demolition derbies at county fairs, and a day at the racetrack. All of which can be found in north jersey, but then again there are many yankees who have no idea those things exist in the north. Yet another misconception.

**EDIT** I think I came off as a real jerk in the original version of this post. If anyone read the original version I apologize.

First off...I have been all over NY..moreso then you I am sure. I NEVER said there was no or not alot of farmland in NY...what I said was it was not like the generalizations that were being bestowed upon it. So perhaps you should re-read what was said. Believe it or not...we were actually debating for the same side..but you I think decided to try and show you know more about NY then a NY'er...But I guess I would expect no less from someone from NJ ;)

oh and btw...I never said there were no rednecks in the north...that is actually more of a misconception of southerners that none exist up here. I have several friends that consider themselves rednecks.

I have NEVER heard anyone in Baltimore say "Yuns".

Now, "'hon" ....i could go the rest of my life and not miss that word.

You've never heard "what yuns need to do" instead of "what you all need to do?"

I hear it all the time from native MDer's / Eastern PAer's that I work with.

Archived