Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Question for Jewish People

buenosdiaz

Are you actively awaiting the messiah?

this is a serious question I have an am wondering if most jewish people are actively waiting for this person...

what would it entail? how would things change? how would you know it was the messiah...

if this is a stupid question i apologize in advance but i was just curious...

I think the hostility I'm sensing towards the opener is uncalled for. I think it's an interesting, fair question. Here's my understanding... mind you, I'm somewhat of a secular Jew so I may be off here.

I think that we actively look for him by studying and keeping to God's word and trying to be more Godly. In that way, when the Messiah comes hopefully there will be recognition because in our hearts and minds we know God as well as we can.

I don't know of any official stance on abortion.

I don't know of any official stance on abortion.

uber-dumb follow up question- is there an official Jewish hierarchy, similar to the Vatican/etc? Or do all the temples act fairly independently?

And if so, why do we never hear about it like we do from places like the vatican?

As with any religion I SUSPECT there are numerous interpretations of tenets depending on which branch one subscribes to.

WHEN DOES HUMAN PERSONHOOD BEGIN?

BELIEF 4: JEWISH BELIEFS

The fetus has great value because it is potentially a human life. It gains "full human status at birth only." 2

bullet

Abortions are not permitted on the grounds of genetic imperfections of the fetus.

bullet

Abortions are permitted to save the mother's life or health.

bullet

With the exception of some Orthodox authorities, Judaism supports abortion access for women.

bullet

"...each case must be decided individually by a rabbi well-versed in Jewish law." 5

http://www.religioustolerance.org/jud_abor.htm

Are you actively awaiting the messiah?

Aside from some sects of Hasidic Jews who believe that Rabbi Schneerson was the messiah, I would guess that most Jews are not actively waiting for the Messiah.

I have always wondered if followers of the Jewish faith had an 'official' stance on abortion.

I would imagine that Conservadox (i.e., Conservative/Orthodox Jews) and Orthodox Jews may be pro-life--but I don't think there's an official stance.

uber-dumb follow up question- is there an official Jewish hierarchy, similar to the Vatican/etc? Or do all the temples act fairly independently?

And if so, why do we never hear about it like we do from places like the vatican?

Well you do hear about it from time to time from debunked sources like The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, but there is nothing specific to my knowledge and certainly nothing as centrally powerful as the Vatican. That's in part because Judaism has never been a state religion except since very, very modern times. So it's never had the power of the state behind it.

I have always wondered if followers of the Jewish faith had an 'official' stance on abortion.

As far as I undrestand there is an "official Jewish stance" on everything that Jews can all agree on without bickering... no, there is no such thing as an "official Jewish stance" on anything ;)

No, I don't think there is or can be a hierarchy... it's the whole we have only one King thing.

At least I think that's right and I've never heard of anything approaching that.

but there is nothing specific to my knowledge and certainly nothing as centrally powerful as the Vatican. That's in part because Judaism has never been a state religion except since very, very modern times. So it's never had the power of the state behind it.

No, I don't think there is or can be a hierarchy... it's the whole we have only one King thing.

At least I think that's right and I've never heard of anything approaching that.

So if I wanted to become a Rabbi, I'd have to go to a school or something right? Surely this school has some kind of structure/hierarchy, and surely that school is accountable to someone who ensures that all of the Rabbi schools are consistent...??

And if I became a rabbi, who would I report to? wouldn't there be some kind of bishop or elder or something?

BTW, boy do I hate the Pittsburgh steelers and their obnoxious idiot fans. That is all :)

Zoony - Want to answer your questions..But 1st a disclaimer. I grew up conservative, then reform. Consider myself now a reform Jew. I did once have a on going, bi-weekly discussion with my Rabbi on these things, but that was years ago.

My answers are based on my learning's then... and are no way to reflect the "Official" Jewish answer.

Abortion - In general, it's frowned upon. However -Jews do not belive life starts at conception. Therefore we don't consider Abortion is murder.

In the Jewish religion, EVERY rule, guideline, practice, can be over ridden for health or life. So while Jews frown on Abortion, there are many cases where abortion is not only ok, but required. Example being "The mother WILL die if she continues the pregnancy or gives birth". The fetus is not alive, the mother is alive, Everything must be done to preserve human life. In that situation, a abortion would be required.

Then there are the tricky parts - Mental illness, depression, etc...Example -If Andrea Yates was pregnant again, should she get a abortion to preserve her health?

The basic Jewish rule is that if you want a abortion, you talk to your Rabbi and explain why. He guides you if it is a sin or not.

Now - Not all Jews and Rabbis agree... because of the second point...

Hierarchy -

There is no Hierarchy in the Jewish religion. The experts on the Jewish religion are the "Elders" (There is a name for it, but it's been awhile since I studied it, so I don't remember). However - That really only applies to YOUR congregation. For instance, there is a American Jewish Consul that does issues thoughts. But they are guidelines only. Each Rabbi is suppose to evaulate them and decide based on their beliefs and understanding.

This goes to your question about "Schooling". There are Rabbi schools, based on the domination. (Reform, Conservative, etc....), but once you start your congregation, or get hired by one (And you are not assigned to one. You start one, or get hired) it's your decisions on what the rules mean, and how they should be followed. But even then, they are suppose to be opinions based on your belief of God's will.

This is why there has always been a question of "Who is a Jew". Because can I become a Rabbi and then declare that Jesus IS Lord and from now on, we are Jews for Jesus! Whoops, that one was done. Ok, lets say I become a Rabbi and say we should have virgin sacrifices every Friday. Am I still Jewish? (For a less extreme example orthodox Jews don't think Reform Jews are Jews because of the rules THEY follow)

But the Israel supreme court ruled on that. They said "Anyone who says they are a Jew, practice's basic Jewish law (1 God, and the God of Abraham), and is recognized as a Jew in their community and belongs to a recognized Jewish congregation, is a Jew" (Obviously paraphasing). So American Reform Jews are Jewish, because most Americans recognize them as such. People that did Virgin sacrifices and called themselves Jews would not be seen as Jewish.

Us Jews LOVE ambiguity!!!

Do answer the OP - Am I ACTIVELY awaiting the messiah? Well, lets put it this way, while I am not very religious I do belive that the messiah has not come yet, and they one day they will.

keep in mind, I also belive the bible is a symbolic book, and the messiah could come in any form.....

also don't really think it will happen in my life time, or my children's, children's lifetime....

Somewhat related, I heard recently a reading from Deuteronomy that said, starting with Moses, God decided his word would be spread through prophets rather than directly from Him.

Which led me to a couple of questions. Why would a God who is all-knowing, all-powerful, able to create the whole freaking universe in 6 days... not be able to communicate to humans except through men who half the world think of as lunatics hearing voices? Doesn't God need a better communications department?

Who is the next prophet? Who was the last prophet? I've seen guys on the street claiming God is talking to them, and I've seen sharp-suited, silver-tongued preachers on TV telling me God has spoken to them. They look like mentally ill homeless and slick charlatans to me, but who's to know who the modern prophets are? Can someone help me with this?

Ok. My family was German Catholic. I want to know:who has more guilt? And then rank the "stern" thingy between the two.

That's a toughie. I would say that it is close, but Jews are slightly better at administering guilt and Catholics are slightly better at receiving it.

Somewhat related, I heard recently a reading from Deuteronomy that said, starting with Moses, God decided his word would be spread through prophets rather than directly from Him.

Which led me to a couple of questions. Why would a God who is all-knowing, all-powerful, able to create the whole freaking universe in 6 days... not be able to communicate to humans except through men who half the world think of as lunatics hearing voices? Doesn't God need a better communications department?

Jesus's disciples ask a similar question, wondering why he spoke in cryptic parables rather than just coming out and saying what he meant. Or better yet, demonstrating that he is Lord for all to see. He answers in Matthew 13:11

He replied, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 13This is why I speak to them in parables:

"Though seeing, they do not see;

though hearing, they do not hear or understand. 14In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:

" 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding;

you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.

15For this people's heart has become calloused;

they hardly hear with their ears,

and they have closed their eyes.

Otherwise they might see with their eyes,

hear with their ears,

understand with their hearts

and turn, and I would heal them.'[a] 16But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. 17For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

Zoony - Want to answer your questions..But 1st a disclaimer. I grew up conservative, then reform. Consider myself now a reform Jew. I did once have a on going, bi-weekly discussion with my Rabbi on these things, but that was years ago.

My answers are based on my learning's then

Thank you for answering, that is very interesting.

Archived